Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Recipes

Old 11-12-2021, 02:48 PM   #1
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Onalaska Texas
Default Gumbo Roux Tip

Ok so itís not a recipe but hopefully can be useful to somebody. Some do know but for those that donít I own and operate a Cajun and Seafood restaurant. Several years ago I started making roux in large batches so I didnít have to do it several times a week. By making a large batch and letting it set for days or weeks even it allows the roux and oil to separate so you can keep pouring the oil off of the top periodically until about half of the oil has been rendered making it healthier and more appealing as to not having to skim the oil off of the top of your gumbo. Once totally rendered it can be stored anywhere in a cool place like your pantry. As long as you have added nothing to the roux it has basically an unlimited shelf life. Why does this matter well it wonít to some people. But a lot of folks are intimidated by making roux or itís just to time consuming so they choose to buy store bought roux which Iím sure is just as good. But if you make your own but dread the process try larger batches so you can put it away to use later. You can store it in any plastic container with a lid after itís cooled. When you get comfortable doing it this way you may only have to make roux twice a year. All of my measures or by weight not volume. One batch of gumbo for me requires 8 pounds of finished roux , 12 gallons of stock and yields about 12 gallons of gumbo. One batch of roux is 3 gallons of oil and 3 gallons of flour yielding around 34 pounds of finished, drained useable roux. The finished product should look like fudge after all the oil has rendered. For smaller house hold batches just add roux in small portions to hot roux and keep stirring and adding until the consistency is to your liking. Add maybe 4 ounces at a time and keep up with you weight and record that to you recipe for future use. My method takes about 2 hours for that much but I only have to make it once every 3 weeks by doing so. Hopefully someone use this info. Happy cooking.
Attached Images

Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2021, 02:54 PM   #2
FULL DRAW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Only in my dreams.

Good tip. I've done that with spaghetti sauce. Freeze in freezer bags and it is perfect for later down the road. I will do the same for a pot to beans. I make a big pot and freeze half for the next time I want some beans on a weeknight.
Here is a tip for a roux. If your just making one pot you can do it in a pyrex measuring cup in the microwave. I do it this way now because you will never burn it and it only take minutes and you can get it the way you want from peanut butter to chocolate in color. 30 seconds and stir until you get what you want.
FULL DRAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2021, 03:43 PM   #3
Leemo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fowlerton

I love that dark color
Good job
Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2021, 04:00 PM   #4
RMW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Down South

Looks damm good! Love me some seafood gumbo
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2021, 04:03 PM   #5
postman
Ten Point

Try Tony's Instant Roux and save lot of time. Just saying.
postman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2021, 06:49 AM   #6
Lonestar_HOYT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County

Wouldn’t it be easier for us to just have you send us some roux as needed?
Lonestar_HOYT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2021, 08:06 AM   #7
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Bake /roast in oven and store in Frig use as needed//kinda like Tony inst roux
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2021, 08:38 AM   #8
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2021, 08:44 AM   #9
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo Man View Post
Ok so itís not a recipe but hopefully can be useful to somebody. Some do know but for those that donít I own and operate a Cajun and Seafood restaurant. Several years ago I started making roux in large batches so I didnít have to do it several times a week. By making a large batch and letting it set for days or weeks even it allows the roux and oil to separate so you can keep pouring the oil off of the top periodically until about half of the oil has been rendered making it healthier and more appealing as to not having to skim the oil off of the top of your gumbo. Once totally rendered it can be stored anywhere in a cool place like your pantry. As long as you have added nothing to the roux it has basically an unlimited shelf life. Why does this matter well it wonít to some people. But a lot of folks are intimidated by making roux or itís just to time consuming so they choose to buy store bought roux which Iím sure is just as good. But if you make your own but dread the process try larger batches so you can put it away to use later. You can store it in any plastic container with a lid after itís cooled. When you get comfortable doing it this way you may only have to make roux twice a year. All of my measures or by weight not volume. One batch of gumbo for me requires 8 pounds of finished roux , 12 gallons of stock and yields about 12 gallons of gumbo. One batch of roux is 3 gallons of oil and 3 gallons of flour yielding around 34 pounds of finished, drained useable roux. The finished product should look like fudge after all the oil has rendered. For smaller house hold batches just add roux in small portions to hot roux and keep stirring and adding until the consistency is to your liking. Add maybe 4 ounces at a time and keep up with you weight and record that to you recipe for future use. My method takes about 2 hours for that much but I only have to make it once every 3 weeks by doing so. Hopefully someone use this info. Happy cooking.
Great tip. Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULL DRAW View Post
Good tip. I've done that with spaghetti sauce. Freeze in freezer bags and it is perfect for later down the road. I will do the same for a pot to beans. I make a big pot and freeze half for the next time I want some beans on a weeknight.
Here is a tip for a roux. If your just making one pot you can do it in a pyrex measuring cup in the microwave. I do it this way now because you will never burn it and it only take minutes and you can get it the way you want from peanut butter to chocolate in color. 30 seconds and stir until you get what you want.

Wait what? What?
Please explain this trick...
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2021, 10:40 AM   #10
blfx4
Eight Point

Hunt In: atascosa county

I am still a work in progress on making a great gumbo. I definitely think this will help. Thanks for sharing.
blfx4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2021, 11:52 AM   #11
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
Wouldnít it be easier for us to just have you send us some roux as needed?
I would but the Postal Inspectors would probably think it was black tar heroin if there really is such a thing. LOL
Old 11-14-2021, 11:54 AM   #12
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva34 View Post
Bake /roast in oven and store in Frig use as needed//kinda like Tony inst roux
Can you really get the dark rich color and flavor doing it without oil?
Old 11-17-2021, 02:38 PM   #13
kfd82
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Backyard

Whats the name of your place? We camp around Livingston a few times per year.
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2021, 03:19 PM   #14
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by postman View Post
Try Tony's Instant Roux and save lot of time. Just saying.
Gross
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2021, 03:19 PM   #15
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfd82 View Post
Whats the name of your place? We camp around Livingston a few times per year.
LeBlancs Cajun Kitchen.
Old 11-17-2021, 03:20 PM   #16
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo Man View Post
Can you really get the dark rich color and flavor doing it without oil?
No you cannot
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2021, 03:52 PM   #17
Voodoo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Highway Medians

Good deal man.

Bootsie’s is good in a pinch

https://www.cajungrocer.com/bootsie's-roux

But if I make it with love I just grab a six pack, put on bluegrass gospel from the HPR app, and stir over flame until the beer is gone.

And YesSir, you can get it dark without oil. Many of my kin folk are experts at dry roux.
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2021, 04:11 PM   #18
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULL DRAW View Post
^^^This is the Cajun Blake method. Cup of oil plus a cup of flour in a Pyrex bowl. 3 mins in mico then stir, 3 mins in mico then stir, then 30 secs stir etc until it's the color you want. For small batches, it works amazing and I get compliments all the time. Hadn't thought to pour off the oil but I will now. I usually do Roux the day before because of the smell.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2021, 06:17 PM   #19
Smough
Nubbin' Buck

wow! thank you
Smough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2021, 07:07 PM   #20
jnd1959
Ten Point

I was going to shoot some coot for a coot and sausage gumbo. I'll try this when I do. Just have to figure out how to get off the water without anyone seeing them. Coot and antelope sausage gumbo. May need some shrimps in there too. Dunno. But I'm a file' man. None of that okra stuff for my gumbo.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2021, 09:02 AM   #21
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
I was going to shoot some coot for a coot and sausage gumbo. I'll try this when I do. Just have to figure out how to get off the water without anyone seeing them. Coot and antelope sausage gumbo. May need some shrimps in there too. Dunno. But I'm a file' man. None of that okra stuff for my gumbo.
Thatís what makes gumbo the perfect dish. No Rules!!
Old 11-26-2021, 07:59 PM   #22
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback View Post
^^^This is the Cajun Blake method. Cup of oil plus a cup of flour in a Pyrex bowl. 3 mins in mico then stir, 3 mins in mico then stir, then 30 secs stir etc until it's the color you want. For small batches, it works amazing and I get compliments all the time. Hadn't thought to pour off the oil but I will now. I usually do Roux the day before because of the smell.

Thanks for posting this tip.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top