Changing arrow rotation on bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing arrow rotation on bow

I saw arrow rotation mentioned as a criteria for deciding on left of right helical or offset fletching of arrows on the Around the Campfire thread on Fletching for heavy arrows.

I tested my bows to see what direction the arrows spin with a bare shaft. Two of my bows rotated arrows left and one rotated arrows right.

Since I don't want to maintain 2 sets of arrows, is there a way to get the bow that rotates arrows to the right to rotate arrows to the left? I checked and the bowstrings for all three bows are spun in the same direction.

The bow that spins arrows to the right is an Elite Remedy 33 that I am having trouble tuning. The other 2 are well tuned and have a bullet hole paper tune and field points and broadheads hit in the same spot.

So I would like to hear if others think it might be a tuning issue? If so, I will continue trying to tune the bow before addressing the arrow rotation issue.

I don't mean this in a condescending manner but unless your Levi Morgan, your arrow rotation isn't gonna be noticeable. Pick a helical and shoot that. Arrow rotation is almost always a byproduct of serving orientation. If your serving was wrapped from the bottom to top or top to bottom will determine which direction the string imparts upon you nock. A few feet from the bow, any helical fletch will have muscled the arrow into a true spin. The theory about continuing the direction the bow naturally sends the arrow is up for debate. But the fact that only the most advanced archers in the world could notice whatever subtle differences might be gained isnt.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by andreww5001 View Post
      I don't mean this in a condescending manner but unless your Levi Morgan, your arrow rotation isn't gonna be noticeable. Pick a helical and shoot that. Arrow rotation is almost always a byproduct of serving orientation. If your serving was wrapped from the bottom to top or top to bottom will determine which direction the string imparts upon you nock. A few feet from the bow, any helical fletch will have muscled the arrow into a true spin. The theory about continuing the direction the bow naturally sends the arrow is up for debate. But the fact that only the most advanced archers in the world could notice whatever subtle differences might be gained isnt.

So by what you are saying he can reserve it the opposite way and the arrow should spin the other way? I have never heard this. I guess I just assumed they all spin the same way. Man, you learn something new everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
        I saw arrow rotation mentioned as a criteria for deciding on left of right helical or offset fletching of arrows on the Around the Campfire thread on Fletching for heavy arrows.

I tested my bows to see what direction the arrows spin with a bare shaft. Two of my bows rotated arrows left and one rotated arrows right.

Since I don't want to maintain 2 sets of arrows, is there a way to get the bow that rotates arrows to the right to rotate arrows to the left? I checked and the bowstrings for all three bows are spun in the same direction.

The bow that spins arrows to the right is an Elite Remedy 33 that I am having trouble tuning. The other 2 are well tuned and have a bullet hole paper tune and field points and broadheads hit in the same spot.

So I would like to hear if others think it might be a tuning issue? If so, I will continue trying to tune the bow before addressing the arrow rotation issue.
        The bow should be tuned with a bare shaft anyway. Once you get your bow shooting that bare shaft nice and straight you won't need to worry about helical

Comment

Different nocks can spin different directions on same arrow and same bow. On my Nexus deep six nocks spin right, GT HD minis spin left, beiters spin left.

Comment

Hell I went with 4 inch Super fletch this year. Arrow doesn't even spin! Coolest thing ever, just look like a knuckle ball headed towards the deer. Kind of freaks everyone out the first time they see it. Best part about it... Confuses the deer too. They don't even jump, arrow is silent.

Comment

Originally posted by WillowCity2506 View Post
              Hell I went with 4 inch Super fletch this year. Arrow doesn't even spin! Coolest thing ever, just look like a knuckle ball headed towards the deer. Kind of freaks everyone out the first time they see it. Best part about it... Confuses the deer too. They don't even jump, arrow is silent.
              I searched acannot fund anything on Super Fletch, can you post a link?

Comment

Ball player Ted Williams said he could see which way a baseball pitched was spinning. It's how he knew if it was a breaker or other as it left the pitchers hand. Really??? I can't see squat.

When shooting a bare shaft, how do you know which way it's spinning? Can you actually see it spinning?

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
                  Ball player Ted Williams said he could see which way a baseball pitched was spinning. It's how he knew if it was a breaker or other as it left the pitchers hand. Really??? I can't see squat.

When shooting a bare shaft, how do you know which way it's spinning? Can you actually see it spinning?
                  you mark the shaft at 12:00. shoot it into the target at 3 ft. then back up just a few ft. then repeat. You will see which way the arrow is rotating

Comment

Had some guys at the ranch hunting and they told me about this. Even if you can change the flight of a natural left spin to a right why would you. The less the arrow fights itself the better it should spin and be more accurate in theory. These guys were incredible shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had one Granger Ranger tell me he fletches each arrow individually depending on its individual rotation….shot from the same wheel bow. Some left some right. He is an outlier of my inquiries. Most fletch one way or the other not both.

I have changed shaft rotation by changing anchor point and finger release orientation… on a longbow. That may or may not work on a wheel bow.

Comment

So why wouldn't a release have more influence on bare shaft spin direction than a string serving? I can see why a nock might affect bare shaft spin direction, but string serving? Sounds far fetched.

Comment

Originally posted by andreww5001 View Post

for some reason, this topic has been getting a ton of talk this year. i watched a video where a bunch of pros could not come up with a consensus as to whether it impacted their shooting or not. if pros can't determine it, then the rest of us for sure won't have any measurable benefit.

Comment

Most single bevels (seems like a lot of people are shooting them these days) are right bevel which will correlate to a right helical.

Comment

I gave Michael 4 arrows to test with - 2 fletched with right, 2 fletched with left. He was going to do a super slow mo to see what it really looks like. We need to pester him to do the video now that the season is pretty much behind us!

Comment

Working...
                              X