Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #1
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties
Default Sprinkler System Backflow Testing

If you have a sprinkler system that uses city water do you have to have the back flow system tested annually? Is it state mandated?
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
MossyRockRanch
Spike

Hunt In: Jack County

Our city sent out a notice to have it done but its not annual from what i recall.
MossyRockRanch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2019, 04:37 PM   #3
RR 314
Ten Point

Never heard of that. Seems overly burdensome. We had ours tested upon completion and never again.
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
Paycheck
Eight Point

Depends if it is a RPZ or double check. RPZ every year, Double check just when installed. City ordinance changes per city.
Paycheck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2019, 04:48 PM   #5
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

Here no...............
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2019, 08:31 PM   #6
Mongo45
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co., Angelina Co.

I believe NFPA 25 once said annually but it’s since changed. I’ll look when I got to work in the morning. Perhaps JBARR chimes in before then...
Mongo45 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2019, 11:10 PM   #7
mattjproc
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paycheck View Post
Depends if it is a RPZ or double check. RPZ every year, Double check just when installed. City ordinance changes per city.
This.

There are rumors the TCEQ is going to classify irrigation as high hazard in the not so distant future and if that happens it will go to RPZ's and annual testing for everyone.
mattjproc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2019, 11:19 PM   #8
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

In Round Rock yes...annual or biannual...but theyre sporadic in their requests for certifications. Its odd. Other cities in Williamson County dont seem to be as proactive...or actively enforcing at all. I think some part might be that certain neighborhoods were built before being incorporated and thus irrigation permits werent filed through cities. If RR is enforcing then prolly state law that gives municipalities authority to enforce.

Last edited by Briar Friar; 08-12-2019 at 11:22 PM. Reason: BiannualSpake
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2019, 03:42 PM   #9
schmalzy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gulf coast and VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo45 View Post
I believe NFPA 25 once said annually but itís since changed. Iíll look when I got to work in the morning. Perhaps JBARR chimes in before then...

Think theyíre talking about lawn sprinklers. Thought it was fire too when I first read it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schmalzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2019, 04:33 PM   #10
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Iím not sure if itís ďstateĒ mandated but our local water corporation requires an annual inspection. Always thought it was a ripoff.

From our water supply website:

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), which is one of the regulatory agencies governing Hidden requires that the public water supply be protected from outside contamination. To ensure this protection, Hidden requires a testable dual check valve assembly or a reduced pressure zone assembly on all landscape irrigation systems. These devices are to be tested upon installation by a TCEQ Licensed Backflow Inspector and a copy of the test provided to the Hidden office. It is a TCEQ rule and the policy of Hidden to require annual testing of these devices to help prevent contamination of the water supply.

And they are serious about it as well...every single freaking year.

REMINDER: 2019 backflow tests must be received in our office no later than Monday, June 17th. Failure to have the test done and results sent to our office will result in disconnection of service. All applicable disconnect and reconnect fees will apply.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2019, 04:42 PM   #11
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

I was just wondering. I was quoted $125 to do an inspection. What a ripoff. Just like a vehicle inspection. Just cause it passed today doesn't mean it won't tomorrow.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2019, 05:45 PM   #12
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
I was just wondering. I was quoted $125 to do an inspection. What a ripoff. Just like a vehicle inspection. Just cause it passed today doesn't mean it won't tomorrow.
That’s an absurd price IMO. Our guy owns his own sprinkler service co and charges us $40 each year, files the report for us with the water co on our behalf and sends us an email confirmation once completed. I’ve never even met him in person.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2019, 05:53 PM   #13
sboudreaux
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kimble County

Yep thatís high we pay $50 a year.
sboudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2019, 06:28 PM   #14
DRW270
Six Point

Hunt In: Mason

Were in Bastrop and it's required every three years. Been paying $80 each time and they file the paperwork.
DRW270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2019, 10:18 PM   #15
eastex56
Eight Point

Hunt In: Irion County

Our businesses in Longview and Tyler are required to have an annual inspection on them.
eastex56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2019, 11:07 PM   #16
W-O
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hilda, Tx

TCEQ requires
a non-health hazard (double check valve assembly) to be tested upon installation. Irrigation system just irrigating with water.

A health hazard (Reduce pressure zone assembly) to be tested upon installation and annually. Irrigation system irrigating with water and chemicals such as fertilizer. Irrigation system where there is an on-site sewage facility (septic/anaerobic system).

The water system can adopt more stringent rules than required by TCEQ. The purpose of the backflow preventer is to keep things like the neighbor's dog's poop from ending up in your kid's Kool-Aid. It has happened or there wouldn't be a rule. Do kids still drink Kool-Aid?

Another way to look at it. Do you install a fire alarm when you move into the house and then never go back to check if it works or change the battery?
W-O is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top