Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-24-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
scotty
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Encinal Texas, Hare, Texas
Default 2019 Gardening thread

It’s that time again.
I have my tomato seedlings started and they’re growing like weeds. I'll get my cucumber seeds started in a couple of weeks.

I already have broccoli, Brussels sprouts and onions planted. They’re coming along fine as well.
The asparagus I planted last year will be ready to harvest some this year! It’s been a long wait.
I’ve weeded and added 500 pounds of compost to the rest of the beds. I’m ready for March to get here so I can get more stuff in the ground.

Last edited by scotty; 01-24-2019 at 04:15 PM.
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 06:45 PM   #2
elgato
Ten Point

I'm in.Totally organic, no till, deep hay mulched garden. Growing now: broccoli, cauliflower, red green and napa cabbage, spinach, turnips, collards, mustards, kale, carrots[ red purple and orange ] endive, red and green mizuna, radicchio, kohlrabi, snow peas, brussell sprouts, celery, shallots, onions, garlic, cilantro, water cress, swiss chard, beets, lettuce, dandelion...

Will be cranking up the green house next week starting spring seedlings.
Attached Images

elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 06:52 PM   #3
elgato
Ten Point

Here is an experiment. I started this ' back to eden' style wood chip garden last summer. First put a 6" layer of horse manure and wood chip compost down over grassy lawn and covered with tarps to smoother any grass.. Then about a month ago I put about a foot of wood chips on top.Not sure how it will do this summer but expect to have continual improvement as the chips begin melting. Will plant some corn, sweet potatoes, squashes, melons and other things that require a lot of space first go round. Should be interesting.

Thats an apple tree in the bed. Though adding a serpent would be appropriate for the 'back to eden ' approach..
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2019, 07:35 PM   #4
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

My wife's gardenspot is so wet, I haven't even been able to even get in it to turn it over from last Fall... It's a marsh right now... not sure how it's going to go this year, but it ain't lookin' too good right now...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 07:47 PM   #5
chunkinlead
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills Co., Garza Co.

Me and my wife bought a new house and I mowed an area to start our new garden this past weekend. I’m excited to get it going!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chunkinlead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 08:01 PM   #6
No-Tox
Six Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
Here is an experiment. I started this ' back to eden' style wood chip garden last summer. First put a 6" layer of horse manure and wood chip compost down over grassy lawn and covered with tarps to smoother any grass.. Then about a month ago I put about a foot of wood chips on top.Not sure how it will do this summer but expect to have continual improvement as the chips begin melting. Will plant some corn, sweet potatoes, squashes, melons and other things that require a lot of space first go round. Should be interesting.

Thats an apple tree in the bed. Though adding a serpent would be appropriate for the 'back to eden ' approach..
I like the Ruth Stout style of the no till, deep hay/straw deep mulch than the Back to Eden. One is because I can get my hands on hay/straw easier than composted wood chips. Second is that the hay/straw breaks down a lot quicker to help the soil. I know the Back to Eden works well if you have the wood chip supply, so hope yours turns out great.
I only have some broccoli going right now because I don't really do a winter garden and my time away hunting.
This weekend ends duck season so things should be picking up in the garden.
No-Tox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 09:58 PM   #7
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Tox View Post
I like the Ruth Stout style of the no till, deep hay/straw deep mulch than the Back to Eden. One is because I can get my hands on hay/straw easier than composted wood chips. Second is that the hay/straw breaks down a lot quicker to help the soil. I know the Back to Eden works well if you have the wood chip supply, so hope yours turns out great.
I only have some broccoli going right now because I don't really do a winter garden and my time away hunting.
This weekend ends duck season so things should be picking up in the garden.
I'm a big fan of the Ruth Stout method and It has done wonders for my garden soil. I can get alfalfa hay easily and I pile it on and keep it thick then burrow rows or holes to plant into.

I also have had a big challenge getting wood chips and had to buy a truck load for the new garden. It will be interesting to compare. Progress will be reported.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:45 PM   #8
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Glad to see this one going again. I have planted spinach, and cilantro already, carrots and onions will go in in the next couple of days. Some Cabbage and tomato plants starting inside.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 07:05 AM   #9
eradicator
Pope & Young

Winter garden is going nuts. Brocoli, lettuce(mixed leaf and romaine), bunching onions, radish, cilantro, swiss chard, garlic and spinach. Hoping to get table onions and carrots planted today. My brother came across a greenhouse last fall, so all of the tomato and pepper seeds were started last week.
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 07:27 AM   #10
bughunter
Ten Point

thanks for adding another “to do”
to my list scott

bughunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 07:36 AM   #11
Bowhuntinonly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Decker Prairie Tx.

I have been working in my garden this week, but is still to wet!!!
Bowhuntinonly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #12
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Mine is essentially the no till back to eden garden as well. I added woodchips at the beginning. You can get a 50lb bag of wood chip at Home Depot for like $3..just get the all natural and not the chemically dyed woodchips. I have been topping it all summer long with grass cuttings. Grass clippings break down tremendously fast. Also all kitchen scraps go directly into the garden , bypassing the composting headache. Thought it would become a mess but the food breaks down quickly as well.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #13
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

All you guys using hay and grass clippings as mulch and such, what do you do to combat all the seeds in the grass/hay? Only time I ever used hay in my wife's garden, we fought Johnson grass and Bahia all spring and summer... worst grass/weed problem we ever had...
Old 01-25-2019, 01:04 PM   #14
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
All you guys using hay and grass clippings as mulch and such, what do you do to combat all the seeds in the grass/hay? Only time I ever used hay in my wife's garden, we fought Johnson grass and Bahia all spring and summer... worst grass/weed problem we ever had...
I've used straw before with the same issues....never again!
Old 01-25-2019, 01:05 PM   #15
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
I don't let my grass and any weeds in it get high enough to seed. The ONLY problem I have is that dang yellow nutsedge weed. I am now sure this stuff can push through solid cement and sprout. And if you don't hand pull it out just right you leave the root pods still intact and it pops right back up in a week. That is without a doubt the devils weed where I live.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:50 PM   #16
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
I don't let my grass and any weeds in it get high enough to seed. The ONLY problem I have is that dang yellow nutsedge weed. I am now sure this stuff can push through solid cement and sprout. And if you don't hand pull it out just right you leave the root pods still intact and it pops right back up in a week. That is without a doubt the devils weed where I live.
Right, but I think the issue is with the straw/hay is there is going to be weeds, etc that need to be pulled religiously.......
Old 01-25-2019, 03:26 PM   #17
Hunteraudit
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas

I put in two 8’x3’ boxes last year just for growing some tomatoes peppers and cucumbers. Both did really well. Thinking about some jalepanos, California wonder peppers, and some kind of melon this year. Guess I need to get started on it if I’m gonna start from seeds, right?
Hunteraudit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 04:32 PM   #18
TX Outlaw
Ten Point

Hopefully get mine ready next week to plant outside. I’ll be growing tomatoes,cucumbers,strawberries, cantaloupe green beans, bell peppers and jalapeños.
TX Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #19
ktjones
Six Point

Hunt In: Centerville

For the nutsedge, I have had good luck with 'sedge hammer' product. KJ
ktjones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2019, 08:33 PM   #20
chunkinlead
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills Co., Garza Co.
Default 2019 Gardening thread

I got mine tilled up this weekend.

chunkinlead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #21
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

Just turned mine over today, not very big.
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2019, 01:29 PM   #22
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Had herons and shore birds picking up crawfish and minnows in ours this weekend... If it don't rain for about 3 weeks, I might be able to get my tractor in it and turn it over... Not looking good for the garden this year so far...
Old 01-28-2019, 01:30 PM   #23
czechgrubworm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Thanks for asking. I was wondering the same thing.
czechgrubworm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2019, 01:31 PM   #24
Bdub25
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb County

I'm starting to get my raised beds prepped.
Bdub25 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #25
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

I’m getting a batch of Cherokee Purples” started. I’m going to plant some butter lettuce and carrots soon
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2019, 06:01 PM   #26
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechgrubworm View Post
Thanks for asking. I was wondering the same thing.
Interesting . Since I have been mulching with deep hay I have had zero weeds. To me that is one of the big advantages. The only place weeds grow is where there is exposed soil on edges. The very few weeds that might sprout out of the hay are easy to pull out. I always keep the hay thick so any weed seed that might be in the hay is always smothered. I do use alfalfa hay which may not have much weed seed.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:11 PM   #27
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

What lights are y’all using to start plants inside?
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2019, 11:12 AM   #28
scotty
Pope & Young

I bought mine off amazon.
Lots of choices there.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:12 PM   #29
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Still to wet so we’ve built raised boxes and brought in 7000 pounds of mushroom compost
Attached Images

rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2019, 05:13 PM   #30
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Still a work in progress
Attached Images

rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2019, 08:14 PM   #31
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
Interesting . Since I have been mulching with deep hay I have had zero weeds. To me that is one of the big advantages. The only place weeds grow is where there is exposed soil on edges. The very few weeds that might sprout out of the hay are easy to pull out. I always keep the hay thick so any weed seed that might be in the hay is always smothered. I do use alfalfa hay which may not have much weed seed.
Each year I build a "manger" wall for Christmas decorations in my front yard from "straw hay" that is supposed to be "seedless"... That's what I used once... took me 2 seasons to get rid of the weeds/Johnson Grass... The past 2 years, I've used it to lay in the edge of my ponds... perch and other fish seem to love it. This year I also put a couple bales in my wife's chicken coop... By the time I picked it up out of my yard after Christmas, it already had grass growing out of the top of the bales... Ain't no way I'll ever put hay in my garden again!

Right now, last year's stubble is still in our garden spot!! Dang rain just won't give me a break!! Normally by this time, I've already tilled rowed and at least got onions and potatoes in the ground... Haven't been able to even get the tractor close to the spot!
Old 02-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #32
Low Fence
Pope & Young

If anyone needs manure I’ve got all they can use. Just supply transport. Dump truck, trailer, whatever I’ll load it here and you take care of freight and unloading. Will have some hay and other matter in it. I won’t run out
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2019, 08:32 PM   #33
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Got cauliflower, okra plant goin. Sweet peppers, cayenne and jalapenos in the wings. Bush tomatoes have flowers, we'll see but probably too early for them probably gonna have to start over there. Turnip, radish, and endive seeds are sprouting, waiting on celery to poke through.
Put some herbs in the pallet planter and have some hanging baskets with strawberries.

Last edited by Hooverfb; 02-17-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2019, 09:31 PM   #34
locolobo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX

Still have winter veggies going and I hate to get rid of them as they are doing so good right now. Also I have a cover crop of oats that I have been cutting to feed to the goats. They seem to appreciate it but its all gotta go soon. Not to mention the garlic and 10-15s that won't be ready for about 4 months yet. Got some seeds in a mini-greenhouse (clear, large plastic storage tub turned upside down) in pots but haven't sprouted yet (tomatoes, squash, cukes). Got sweet potato slips growin in the kitchen window . They need to be in the ground SOON.

Last edited by locolobo; 02-17-2019 at 09:38 PM.
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2019, 11:37 PM   #35
Bowhuntin_Toona
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montana

We're still waiting for the white stuff to disappear and for the temps to get above freezing. Already have a strawberry bed and plans for a few more raised beds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Bowhuntin_Toona is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2019, 08:59 AM   #36
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Guess what! We were blessed with a little more rain on Saturday night/Sunday morning!!
Old 02-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #37
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Lows in the low 20's this week and possible snow/sleet tomorrow. No one is even thinking about any garden's up here, or maybe just thinking about what they want to do. Mesquites at the lease are not showing any signs of starting to bud out yet.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #38
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

To wet in north Lamar Co for me to do anything in the garden.

I did mulch my blueberry plants Saturday with some peat and pine bark. I am worried they are going to bust out in bloom and get bit buy a freeze. Their buds are swolen big time. They are about 10 to 14 days farther along than usual for this time of the year.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #39
Man
Pope & Young

Still have my winter crops doing really well. Did drop some tomato plants in the ground yesterday to start the transition. Got a lot of little volunteer plants popping up throughout the garden really early. All my fruit trees are starting to bud early as well. Got more buttercrunch lettuce than we can handle.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:12 AM   #40
toledo
Eight Point

Hunt In: the road by your lease

What temps can tomato plants handle if they're under a covered porch?
toledo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2019, 07:18 AM   #41
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo View Post
What temps can tomato plants handle if they're under a covered porch?
Just cover them when it gets below 40 regardless and you will be fine.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:27 AM   #42
toledo
Eight Point

So they can handle sub freezing with a tarp?
Old 03-03-2019, 08:11 AM   #43
scotty
Pope & Young

I had to put my tomatoes in the garden before I wanted to. I made hoops and have them covered with plastic right now. I’ll add old blankets tonight.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:36 AM   #44
toledo
Eight Point

I have 18 plants in individual buckets. Think Im going to move them all together, tarp the whole thing, and add a heat lamp under the tarp.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #45
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Rut-ro...I worry for your health. Railroad timbers are treated with creosote. Highly carcinogenic. Ive been under the impression that using railroad timbers was a big no no when building raised beds for a consumption garden.

My orchard is almost fully planted...a few skips...Ill plug some nectarine trees in those holes.

Im propagating some chile petin plants now...theyve got some new growth...so Im hopeful. They were struggling when they were vertical...so I laid them over and covered the stems and just left the leaves poking out of my propagation bed sand.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2019, 11:06 AM   #46
eradicator
Pope & Young

[QUOTE=Briar Friar;14026745]Rut-ro...I worry for your health. Railroad timbers are treated with creosote. Highly carcinogenic. Ive been under the impression that using railroad timbers was a big no no when building raised beds for a consumption garden.

My orchard is almost fully planted...a few skips...Ill plug some nectarine trees in those holes.

Im propagating some chile petin plants now...theyve got some new growth...so Im hopeful. They were struggling when they were vertical...so I laid them over and covered the stems and just left the leaves poking out of my propagation bed sand.[/QUOTE]

You definitely have to be careful. Adding a lot of carbon to your soil helps drastically with this
Old 03-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #47
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo View Post
So they can handle sub freezing with a tarp?
It will help. If they are seedlings, prolly wont make it without tarps, blankets, and possibly a heater. If they are a little more established they will stand a better chance. Ideally, bring them in the house if possible
Old 03-03-2019, 11:59 AM   #48
More Liberty
Ten Point

Hunt In: My land

Plots have been going for awhile. It's early but I planted 24 "Early Girl" tomatoes and 28 Bell peppers in plastic mulch. Additionally, I've covered with 6-mil clear plastic to increase heat. Toms and peppers are very cold sensitive. We've got a freeze coming tomorrow early and the next few days.
Under that plastic I also have greenbeans sprouting but they need to be covered as well. I'm trying to get an early start for the season since this is a business.

Also going are carrots, green onions, broccoli, garlic, potatoes, white onions, brown onions, lettuce, collards, Chinese, snap peas, kale and chard.
Attached Images

More Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2019, 02:29 PM   #49
sundownbrown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb county

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
I had to put my tomatoes in the garden before I wanted to. I made hoops and have them covered with plastic right now. I’ll add old blankets tonight.
I have my tomatoes in pots and gonna pull them in the garage tonight for 2 days
sundownbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #50
Clark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.

Peppers are in the ground.
Too soon?

Name:  SALSA GARDEN.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  197.3 KB

Last fall we did pretty good.