50-53gr 223 bullet for deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50-53gr 223 bullet for deer?

So I snagged one of them Walmart specials, but the twist on the rifle is 1:12. And everything I've read is this twist most likely won't like anything much over 55gr. I have a 22-250 That's 1:14 and it's a tack driver with 50 gr and starts to open up at 55gr, but still good enough to shoot deer and hogs, but I just keep it sighted in with 50gr hornady Vmax and use it for varmints, or if I happen to have it and see a hog, earhole'em. It's a heavy rifle with bull barrel and heavy thumbhole stock. I was hoping I could use this new 700 rifle for my youngest son for deer to get his first one this year. I don't handload, so maybe some of you folks more schooled in bullets know if there's some factory ammo out there that would work in 1:12 twist. I may just let him practice with the 223, and then let him try and take the deer with my 308 or his grandpa 6.5 creedmoor.

Neck shots with the vmax is stupid awesome never had one run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Let him use his Grandpa’s rifle for his 1st deer. Would be an awesome family memory

Comment

Originally posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
        Let him use his Grandpa’s rifle for his 1st deer. Would be an awesome family memory
        That's what my second oldest used. I still need a good deer bullet for the 223. Might be a better choice to use a little more firepower, in case the shot isn't the best. But that's why we practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
          So I snagged one of them Walmart specials, but the twist on the rifle is 1:12. And everything I've read is this twist most likely won't like anything much over 55gr. I have a 22-250 That's 1:14 and it's a tack driver with 50 gr and starts to open up at 55gr, but still good enough to shoot deer and hogs, but I just keep it sighted in with 50gr hornady Vmax and use it for varmints, or if I happen to have it and see a hog, earhole'em. It's a heavy rifle with bull barrel and heavy thumbhole stock. I was hoping I could use this new 700 rifle for my youngest son for deer to get his first one this year. I don't handload, so maybe some of you folks more schooled in bullets know if there's some factory ammo out there that would work in 1:12 twist. I may just let him practice with the 223, and then let him try and take the deer with my 308 or his grandpa 6.5 creedmoor.
          Speer has a 55gr. Gold Dot ammunition that should work very well. The problem is finding them.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
            Neck shots with the vmax is stupid awesome never had one run.

Yeah, for me, but not the best choice for a kid. (I have to admit, my first deer was a neck shot with a 30-06). The guy who owned the property told us that's where you shoot them, so that's where dad told me to shoot that little 3pt.

Comment

Yeah, for me, but not the best choice for a kid. (I have to admit, my first deer was a neck shot with a 30-06). The guy who owned the property told us that's where you shoot them, so that's where dad told me to shoot that little 3pt.

Let him get some range time. Build confidence aim small miss small...

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                Let him get some range time. Build confidence aim small miss small...

Yeah, well that's were the 223 I think will help. Be more fun to shoot. He was shooting like 6" groups last year, so we'll try again with something with less kick. That was with the creedmoor. And The 223 has a better scope.

Comment

How old is he?
                  Unless he is very young I’d put the 6.5 in his hands. There is nothing worse than losing your first deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                    How old is he?
                    Unless he is very young I’d put the 6.5 in his hands. There is nothing worse than losing your first deer.

9, He's shot the 6.5. Just the groups weren't great. This was a whole year ago though. It's a savage axis with a bull barrel. It's a nice little rifle.

Comment

My .223 has a 1:12 twist and likes 55gr bullets best. Ive shot the same handload out of it with 55gr Sierra game kings for 20 years. I head and neck shoot everything with it, but there have been a few pigs and WT’s that have taken it behind the shoulder and went down within 60 yards.

If it was me I’d get him to get his first with grandpas rifle. For the .223 as long as you use a bullet that will retain weight a 50gr+ bullet will do fine with a heart and lung shot. Factory ammo I’d look at Winchester super x, federal power shok, or Barnes vor-tx.

Comment

Any old 55 gr sp ought to do just fine.

Comment

I killed a lot of deer with 55 gr Federal PowerShoks with my 22-250, that rifle just weighs a ton. I like it with 50gr now. I can shoot dime size groups. I been keeping my out, there's just not much available now, or it sells out quick.

Comment

9, He's shot the 6.5. Just the groups weren't great. This was a whole year ago though. It's a savage axis with a bull barrel. It's a nice little rifle.

Man I’d let the big dog eat, .223 is great for experienced shooters but I’d lean more towards making sure he is able to walk up after the shot and admire his kill and get those pics vs smaller margin of error. I suspect regardless of which gun he has in his hands when the time comes he will be nervous so give him all the advantage to make that kill you can.
                            Good luck and send pics!

Comment

Not a 223, but I shoot the Barnes Vor-Tx ammo in my 22-250 and that 50gr TSX has taken several deer with great results (mainly neck shots).

Comment

Working...
                              X