No announcement yet.

Do you hunt your own land?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hunt the family farm. Roughly 700 acres. I tend to go help a friend clear deer out in south Texas every year. Next year I plan on getting on a lease in Junction. The one thing about hunting your own place is the work never stops and every now and then it’s nice to go and just relax during mid day but I just can’t seem to do that on the farm.

Comment

I've got 21 acres and basically hunt the back half of it. I've taken 3 deer and a bunch of hogs over the last 6 years or so. Not a lot of deer but the quality is improving.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
        We bought our farm in Iowa in 2009. We moved up here in Oct. 2018. We love it. We wish we could have moved here sooner. We have 63.5 acres. I have permission to hunt 3 of our neighbors ground. It probably totals 3000+ acres, but I seldom get out of sight of our house.
        You have a beautiful place.

Comment

Yes

Comment

After looking at overpriced ten acre scrap yards and dumps for six months, we found a quarter section of raw land and bought it in November of 1991. Since then we drilled a well, built nearly a half mile of road, built the house, built a barn, and cleared about twenty acres for a wheat field. I haven't hunted much other than here since then. It is covered in deer and quail. My neighbors don't hunt much and the deer population seemed to hit a peak last year. After talking it over with the neighbors, we ended up taking nine deer off of just our place. It looks as if we will cull pretty heavy again this year. Keep in mind that land prices will always seem high. If you can swing the payment and hang on to it for awhile, inflation will boost your equity and also your paycheck. You will be paying for that expensive land with cheaper dollars in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
              We bought our farm in Iowa in 2009. We moved up here in Oct. 2018. We love it. We wish we could have moved here sooner. We have 63.5 acres. I have permission to hunt 3 of our neighbors ground. It probably totals 3000+ acres, but I seldom get out of sight of our house.
              One day I will be this cool too. Super jealous of your place both land and Barndo. I look forward to following your season unfold this year.

Comment

I bought a section of land in 2017 when I was 35. Its just for hunting and being outdoors. My dream was to always own my own ranch. I made some risky investments in real estate and I leveraged myself to the hilt. I never think its a bad idea to bet on yourself and I knew for me to get a ranch it was going to take some ballsy investments that could go south on me and lots of leverage. The other key was that I was single and had no kids so I wasn't putting anyone else at risk. Once I got to my number I sold everything and bought a ranch. It is a ton of work but I love it. I am now married with a 15 month old and the place will be his one day to enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                  You have a beautiful place.
                  Thank you. We are so fortunate and blessed to have landed here.

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                  One day I will be this cool too. Super jealous of your place both land and Barndo. I look forward to following your season unfold this year.
                  Thank You !! I often stop what I am doing and give thanks to God for the blessings.

I am going to do a season long semi live hunt like I did last year. Our season opens Thursday. I will probably do some evening sits until about October 20th then start hunting harder as the pre-rut starts heating up. I have 3 buck tags (landowner archery, state wide archery, firearms) and all the doe tags that I want........but how many deer do you actually need?

Good news is I pulled some cards yesterday and one of the bucks that had disappeared in early August made an appearance on September 17th. The last two years he has moved his core area about this time of the year and shows back up in February.
                  Last edited by Arrowsmith; 09-29-2020, 09:24 AM.

Comment

I have 75 acres in Harrison Co. that I bought the timber on in the mid 80's. Started leasing till owner died but I kept an eye on it. Comes up with a realtor and I make an offer. No dice. Came back around after it sold and made a deal in 95. I had offered 68K the first time and found out it sold for 55K so my offer was never made. Was 125 acres to start with. Sold 40 across the road and got 2 great neighbors, brothers. Tons of deer and now getting pigs. Nice to come home and be in the stand in 5 minutes or catch a quickie before work.

Comment

I hunt several thousand acres that has been in the family for 5 generations in North Dakota (160 of it is mine), my dads 70 rough acres in western Edwards county, and my own 40 in southeast Edwards county. the important thing is to not have a lot of debt when you are looking. If your house in town is paid off and you don't have a car note it's a lot easier to swing another 15 year loan on some land.

Comment

This will be my 2nd year hunting my own SOT. It’s not much but it’s mine and it’s the greatest feeling ever. If you’re intending on buying, buy soon cuz it’s getting more and more expensive every day.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                          I’ve owned land big enough to hunt several times and have always just raised wild pets.
                          LOL! Me too.

Comment

I hate owning my land. Mowing, fences, etc. I enjoy my lease much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wish

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                                I hate owning my land. Mowing, fences, etc. I enjoy my lease much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Man, this made me laugh so hard, because I'm with you. I've had a couple of places and the work load vs the recreation time never equaled out. The family time was outstanding.

I recently bought into a duck club in AR, roughly 3000 acres. It's split between timber and fields with a 200 acre lake. It's nice to be able to use the club's equipment to plow and seed fields, mow when you want to etc. Or, just go up, pig hunt, fish and do nothing else. The duck hunting is a plus as well

I'd have to make a lot more $$ to afford what I want and especially have the cash flow to have a full time hand or two before I'd consider buying again. I'd say the biggest negative on owning for me was the mentality I needed to hunt it versus other places. I always felt guilty that I was wasting money if I hunted out of state. Now I just hope for tags.

Comment

Working...
                                X