Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let’s See Your Lightweight (Mobile) Public Land Setups! (Stands/sticks & climbers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t have pics on hand.. but I’m gonna be using both a hang on and a saddle this year.

Saddle is the tethrd phantom with a mission platform. I decided to go ahead and get the larger platform for comfort. Hang on stand is the lone wolf assault. As far as sticks go, I’ll probably use 2 lone wolf minis with aiders for walking in more than a mile.. anything less will be 3 full length long wolf sticks. Either way I’ll be packing everything in with an exo mountain gear 3200 frame pack

Comment

Originally posted by St59 View Post
      I don’t have pics on hand.. but I’m gonna be using both a hang on and a saddle this year.

Saddle is the tethrd phantom with a mission platform. I decided to go ahead and get the larger platform for comfort. Hang on stand is the lone wolf assault. As far as sticks go, I’ll probably use 2 lone wolf minis with aiders for walking in more than a mile.. anything less will be 3 full length long wolf sticks. Either way I’ll be packing everything in with an exo mountain gear 3200 frame pack
      I think the mission is a solid choice. It’s very roomy, and sturdy. It’s basically the Kuhnerts Ambush, but at a reasonable price. I think most people will want a larger platform after a few hunts with a minimalist one.

With the weight reduction craze right now, you have to find a good balance of reduction, comfort, and safety.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
        I think the mission is a solid choice. It’s very roomy, and sturdy. It’s basically the Kuhnerts Ambush, but at a reasonable price. I think most people will want a larger platform after a few hunts with a minimalist one.

With the weight reduction craze right now, you have to find a good balance of reduction, comfort, and safety.
        That was my thoughts as well. I’ve been impressed with it so far and it’s still super light weight.

Comment

I've got a few questions, If anyone doesn't mind helping a new public land hunter. (I've hunted on private land in hunting houses and ladder stands), and have a few questions about what I should buy when hunting on public land.

-From my few hours or so of research it seems like a hang-on stand will give me more options than a climber, especially for unknown public land with assorted tree species. This seems like it adds cost of other gear but will be the potentially better bet for long time public land use.

-I'll obviously need some climbing sticks (unsure of how many?), safety harness, rope, and accessories to assure I'm safe / adequately elevated. Where do I start to search and what parameters do I use for the sticks, harness, rope and accessories?

-Most of my public hunts will require me to walk about 2-3 miles from my car/camp to spots I want to hunt. Would you think this requires a a pack or frame pack?

Thank you for your help - I appreciate it being a bit of a newbie.

Comment

Originally posted by TomSawyer View Post
            I've got a few questions, If anyone doesn't mind helping a new public land hunter. (I've hunted on private land in hunting houses and ladder stands), and have a few questions about what I should buy when hunting on public land.

-From my few hours or so of research it seems like a hang-on stand will give me more options than a climber, especially for unknown public land with assorted tree species. This seems like it adds cost of other gear but will be the potentially better bet for long time public land use.

-I'll obviously need some climbing sticks (unsure of how many?), safety harness, rope, and accessories to assure I'm safe / adequately elevated. Where do I start to search and what parameters do I use for the sticks, harness, rope and accessories?

-Most of my public hunts will require me to walk about 2-3 miles from my car/camp to spots I want to hunt. Would you think this requires a a pack or frame pack?

Hang on stands do have way more versatility when compared to climbers and picking trees. For sticks I like my lone wolfs but the idea of a double step is really tempting, especially for the top stick as it would make hanging the stand itself much easier. I use a tree spider harness when using the hang on with a custom lineman’s belt. I would say you’re fine using a regular pack for hiking in that far, although I went with a frame pack so that I could pack out quarters instead of dragging it for a few miles. Hope this helps, depending on your location I may have some gear you could use.

Comment

Millennium m100u and Lone wolf sticks. Custom ratchet strap, stand/stick mating system patent pending. I got this setup thinking I could use my Stone Glacier pack along with it. Can't find a way to do it. I'm just strapping my old cheap pack to this for carrying essentials. Have to make a trip back to the truck for the meat hauling pack if I get something down.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

I think for public hunting, running a similar setup to what I had last year would do you well. XOP makes pretty good stands and they’re available on Amazon or in person at Scheels in the colony if you want to see them in person. I would probably go with Lone Wolf or XOP sticks. As far as a tree tether, Hunters Safety system sells a rope style strap for like $30. Muddy sells a lineman’s belt that is rope for about $25. Those can both be found at Cabelas or Scheels. I don’t think you need a pack per se. I think for sure you’re going to want a good set of backpack straps like in the pictures in this thread. They make a world of difference.

Get very familiar with your gear, and the steps in the process. Start by practicing on a tree at ground level. Make sure you’re hooked up and get a feel for how the system works. Then, slowly progress to 1 stick height, and the. So on. Don’t feel you have to get up 20’ to be at an adequate height. Just make sure you have back cover where you end up in the tree.

Check out the Element on YouTube. They have a great how-to section on hanging public land sets here in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by firemedic731 View Post
                  Second for the Tethrd Mantis tree saddle, i wear that in and I carry 60' of predator rope in for DRT. I scout post season and pre set some paracord loops. I walk in, find my loop, string my climbing rope up and over the branch and back down, unhook it from the paracord loop then tie into my bridge with a Blakes hitch. I tie my backpack onto the end of my climbing rope and have a pull up string for my bow. I use a nite eyez gear tie and clip my platform on my saddle. I get to height, place my predator platform, girth hitch my tether, put out my HYS strap, pull up my climbing rope and place my backpack on the HYS strap, put the excess rope into my backpack so the tail isnt hanging down.
                  Thats a very interesting approach, i'll have to consider that next year. going with sticks as usual this year.

Comment

Mine will be same as last year, Tethrd mantis + 3x30" Hawk Helium sticks, and ring of ameristeps for platform.
                    Also have a GhostBlind mirrored ground blind + portable stool if i need/want to do ground setup.

Comment

TexasArchery - this is very helpful, thank you. Would you still lean toward your set-up from last year if you were hunting with a rifle and wanted to add a gun rest? Or would you consider a climbing stand more closely.

Comment

TexasArchery - this is very helpful, thank you. Would you still lean toward your set-up from last year if you were hunting with a rifle and wanted to add a gun rest? Or would you consider a climbing stand more closely.
                        I made the switch to a saddle because I’m afraid of heights. Being under constant tension in the saddle with the tether, and facing the tree makes me feel super safe and comfortable in the stand. That said, with my system now I could use the tree as a gun rest.

For last year’s approach: I wanted to sell my lock on mid season and get a climber. I watched other guys on public get set up super quick and Thats what I wanted. If I was going to rifle hunt on Texas public, I’d want to get below the canopy and I would probably use a climber. Concealment isn’t as big a factor at 100+ yards. A lock-on is very versatile as others have stated, but a climber is simple and very quick to get going. Since you’d be going below the canopy and not worried about concealment, you wouldn’t have to find the perfect tree to get in. Just look for a tree without branches up to 14 feet. That shouldn’t be too difficult. They look to be a lot more comfortable since the seat isn’t hard metal and can be adjusted with the straps for depth. If you wanted to move to another tree, it wouldn’t be as big of a pain in the arse to tear down and get set back up.
                        A climber like the Summit Goliath or viper have like a shooting rail on them. These systems are a little on the heavy side, but they’d meet the need

If you were to get a climber, you wouldn’t need a lineman’s belt. Just a tree tether and your harness

I’ve never hunted with a rifle out of a Treestand. I’ve always hunted with a rifle out of a box blind. Others may have more experience and my theory might not work in real life. Those would just be my thoughts and my approach.
                        Last edited by TexasArchery_27; 09-30-2020, 11:32 AM.

Comment

I will be climbing a tree with the XOP vanish for the first time this weekend.
                          The straps and belt are very comfortable.
                          I'll let y'all know how it goes [emoji120]

It also mounts to my bike rack pretty well.

Comment

Now it's ready to go

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I dont have any pics at the moment, but I use the Millenium M7 Microlite (supposedly only weighs like 8lbs), and then 3 Hawk Helium steps. First season to use it, and haven't been able to sit much yet. I did shoot a hog out of this setup before deer season. I love the steps and the stand. It has the comfort of the Millenium seat. Only downside is this stand isnt adjustable at the base, like the XOP is. My brother hunts with an XOP and the Hawk Helium steps, and he loves it.

Comment

This has been my go to.
                                Lone wolf alpha- stealth strips on “spine” and buckles And rope wrap on front
                                Lone wolf sticks- stealth strips, amsteel rope mods with zero knots anywhere on set up and bungees braded into ends to secure on button in transport
                                Hand made seat- 2 waterproof cushions cut out and zip ties on (factory SUCKS, and xop SUCKS worse)
                                Packaged with “titan straps”... yea, just go ahead and order them. Trust me
                                2 gear ties on”spine” for jacket and anything else I need to carry
                                Straps- summit shock absorber stand straps

It packs super flat And incredibly tight
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X