Venison Pot Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venison Pot Roast

This weekend I made the best pot roast EVER and I used a venison roast to do it.

I basically used Pioneer Woman's recipe because it is so easy.

First, get a big pot - dutch oven size.

Quarter onions and cut carrots into 2" slices.
    Prepare 2 - 1 cup each beef broth
    2.5-4 pound venison roast (I used a section from the rump that I call the tip roast, one end comes down to a tip.)

Put a little oil in the bottom of the pot, heat to where is it smoking. Add the quartered onion. Basically scorch the outsides. Remove, add the carrots. Scorch them, too. Remove.

Add a little more oil, heat to super hot again. Put the roast in. Cook 3-4 min on each side to create a "crust". Remove.

Add 1 cup of beef broth, boil and use a scraper to remove the black stuff from the bottom of the pan - but don't dump it out!

Put the meat back in, add the onion and carrots. Add the rest of the beef broth.

Cover the pot. Put into the oven - 250 degrees, 3 hours for a 2.5 pound roast. Add 30 minutes for every pound more than 2.5 pounds. Cook potatoes separately.

You can make gravy out of the broth after it is done cooking. Remove everything from the pot, except the liquid. While you return it to a boil, mix 2 T corn starch with cold water to make a watery paste. Mix it well then stir into the pot.

My husband is my biggest food critic - he loved it!

Had it like that before it is excellent!! Would never know it was deer.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

This is why I always leave my roast whole. If I need another cut I can always cut them down but I love venison pot roast.

Comment

Sounds great!

I have tried several venison roast and have yet to make one we could chew up.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              Sounds great!

The key is low and slow. If it is tough, you cooked it too long.

Normally, pot roast with beef is made from a shoulder cut, but for venison, I used the hindquarter. Nearly all of the shoulder cuts in my house are ground. There is an inner meat that is super tender - you will know it when you filet it out. I would make jerky from that or cook it like a tenderloin.

Comment

Revived an old recipe. Ready to go in the oven. Gonna be awesome.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                  Sounds great!

I use to wonder why some roasts were dry and others were tender and moist. It boils down to the cut of meat and style of cooking. For low and slow, the toughest, leanest cuts are best. They have a lot of connective tissues, especially collagen. When cooked low and slow it renders down slowly into gelatin and gives the meat that tender, velvety mouth feel. When a tender, fatty cut is used the fat renders out relatively quickly. The meat (protein) continues cooking and tightening up. The end result is a tougher and dry piece of meat.

Low and Slow: Shoulder cuts, cuts from bottom round (outside of ham), and shanks (great for Osso Bucco)

Hot and Fast: backstop, tenderloin, and top round* (inside of the ham)
                  *the top round can be suitable for either style of cooking

Comment

Originally posted by HankTheTank View Post
                    I use to wonder why some roasts were dry and others were tender and moist. It boils down to the cut of meat and style of cooking. For low and slow, the toughest, leanest cuts are best. They have a lot of connective tissues, especially collagen. When cooked low and slow it renders down slowly into gelatin and gives the meat that tender, velvety mouth feel. When a tender, fatty cut is used the fat renders out relatively quickly. The meat (protein) continues cooking and tightening up. The end result is a tougher and dry piece of meat.

Low and Slow: Shoulder cuts, cuts from bottom round (outside of ham), and shanks (great for Osso Bucco)

Great post!

Comment

Originally posted by HankTheTank View Post

Good info.

The several times I tried I used large muscle sections from the hind quarter, cooked in a crock pot low and slow. The longer it cooked the smaller and tougher it got....

Comment

Working...
                      X