Brush cutting during the season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brush cutting during the season

Anyone ever found a spot during the season you want to hunt but it will need some clearing to make it huntable? How will the deer react to the change in thier area? I found a spot about 200 yards from one of my box blinds and feeder but it’s super thick, very few trees big enough for a ladder or climber and the ones that’s there would only give me a 10-15 yard shot. Can’t see further than that. It will take a little more than just a pruning saw and machete. Will have to use the chain saw for some if it. This in East Texas. Should I
    A) hunt it as is
    B) clean it out a little then wait a week or so before hunting it
    C) forget about it for this year and wait until the season is over and get it ready for next year
    Thoughts?

It won't hurt at all. I shred during the season and haven't been a problem.
    We had a new fence put in about a month before season and had to have a bulldozer clear a lane.
    Had pictures of deer eating right next to the skidsteer and trailer where they just cleared the brush.

Comment

I have cleared a new spot in the middle of the season and had deer there that evening....

Comment

My experience has been that it makes no difference at all.

Comment

Clear a few winding lanes and they’ll be traveling them that evening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Clear it! Won’t hurt a thing. You will probably have eyes watching you.

Comment

They are curious animals and will have to come check it out.

Comment

I've seen gravel pits dug, oil well pad areas cleared, timber staging spots cleared, etc and there were deer tracks everywhere in them the second they pulled the equipment....especially if they're somewhat use to occasional intrusions...they are pretty darn curious at times.

My advice is hammer it all at once and get it done....blind up, blended in and disguised....then clear out the equipment....then slip in and hunt....

Comment

My land owner started clearing the cedars and mesquite at the start of bow season. huge equipment and skid steers.
                  just finished last week.
                  I have not had time to go out there but the other hunter shot a really good 10 and his son shot a good 1 antler cull. Both were shot with in a couple days of the equipment being there. Deer dont care

Comment

Best way to put it is it’s their home. We have tornadoes, hurricanes, fires, etc rip through and we still go home to check things out.

Comment

Deer are edge loving animals, more edge more deer activity, and it doesn’t seem to bother them after a couple of days

Comment

Mow it and you will have deer tracks all over it the same night.

Comment

The first deer I killed with a bow came down a trail my dad mowed while I hung a stand that morning.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Sometimes it just doesn’t matter.

Comment

We do it all the time with skid steers and chainsaws right up against our set ups during the season and it doesn’t effect them at all. Last year I bow hunted, then cut all the cedar around my stand, then the next weekend I lit a few piles on fire not 15 yards from my bow blind. That afternoon I was covered up in deer as if they didn’t notice at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X