Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'd like to get some structured criticism, see attached.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always found photography to be a very intriguing hobby and have recently considered expanding it from a hobby to a side gig. I simply enjoy it too much not to pursue it further. With that being said, last weekend I did my "first" shoot for a good friend. His daughter is headed off to college in July to play D1 soccer, he asked to go on a photo shoot around Fort Worth and I was happy to oblige.

As mentioned in the title, I'd love to know what you think and what if anything I should do differently. Attached is a small sample of our Sunday afternoon.

Trinity 2 FB (1 of 1) by Chad Crawford, on Flickr

Barn 3 FB (1 of 1) by Chad Crawford, on Flickr

Panther Island 2 FB (1 of 1) by Chad Crawford, on Flickr

Trinity 1 FB (1 of 1) by Chad Crawford, on Flickr

Barn 10 FB (1 of 1) by Chad Crawford, on Flickr

Barn 1 FB (1 of 1) by Chad Crawford, on Flickr

Trinity 4 FB (1 of 1) by Chad Crawford, on Flickr

Trinity 3 FB (1 of 1) by Chad Crawford, on Flickr

Water Gardens 2 FB (1 of 1) by Chad Crawford, on Flickr

I think you're on the right track. Those really look good. I can tell you what I think about each one and if there is anything I think you might want to correct (This might be a difficult task for me, as I really like them all). Mind you, these are just my opinions, and may not be what normal folks would like.
    1. Nice pose. I like the lighting as there are no dark areas. I think her face & tops of her hands can use a tad more color. They just seem a bit too light for my tastes.
    2. Again, excellent lighting and pose. I wonder if you should move your crop down and include all of her hand in the image and get rid of some of the empty space above her head.
    3. I think a flash or reflector to the camera's left might help get rid of those shadows. Is the hair in front of her face a distraction or something desired? (I'm really not sure, but am leaning towards it being a good thing in this case)
    4. I think a vertical image would have been better here, so her whole body is included in the image. I also think that whatever is way in the background is rather distracting. That is a great tree for this pose, and I really like it as well as the flowers.
    5. I'm not crazy about this pose. It looks like she's . . . well, never mind. I think she should have turned around though. Fence & other stuff in the background is a little distracting.
    6. I like this image a lot. Maybe work on how her head is tilted, I don't know.
    7. Nice image. Great pose! Again, I think the colors are a little light for me, especially the skin tones.
    8. Very pretty. I wonder if her feet should be out if the image. I'm also not crazy about the big chunk of "tree" in the foreground. I really do like the way the two upright branches tend to frame her in the photo. Very nice! Probably my favorite.
    9. I really like this one too. It appears to be more candid and not posed like the others. Great pose. Great background, just a little light on the skin tones, like others.

OK, that's my penny's worth. If my critiques are valid, most of them can be corrected in photoshop by someone who knows just a little more than I do. If that were my daughter, I'd be very pleased with the images. You have a very good eye. She is, by the way a really pretty young lady. I wish her well in her D1 soccer adventure. Where's she going to school?
    Last edited by El Viejo; 04-17-2019, 07:24 PM.

Comment

She’s headed to SHSU and I value your opinion as everything you just said was printed for future reference. Thank you for your time and valuable input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
        She’s headed to SHSU and I value your opinion as everything you just said was printed for future reference. Thank you for your time and valuable input.

Pics look great but one soccer photo is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Black Ice; 04-17-2019, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Lol, here’s a crappy cell phone pic.

They beat Dripping Springs today in the semi final, play Highland Park for the State Title on Saturday!

Comment

really good pics. The subject is a little soft in most of those pics but not bad! I think some are a tad over exposed which can be taken care of in post. I think you are really really close on composition but just a little tweaking and you'll be doing really really well. Most of those were centered (subject) but its crazy how using 1/3's rule can really make a difference.

Comment

I'm no expert trust me just putting out some observations that I use when taking photos and going into post production. Hope that helps!

Comment

Great pics The lighting in the first pic is perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckRage View Post
                  I'm no expert trust me just putting out some observations that I use when taking photos and going into post production. Hope that helps!

We need to hear it to better our craft... thank you!

Comment

I would say good luck to the girl against Highland Park except that our son coaches football & baseball at HP, so looks like I'll be rooting for them. I hope she does well in her college endeavors.

Comment

I think you were excellent with the results on 1, 3, and 4. All is based on lighting, shadows, focus, and selection. None based on the model or expressions. I assume that was what was requested. Great Job!

Comment

Working...
                      X