Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying an AR-15 at Academy

Good luck!

Got to the Cedar Park store at 4:45 am.. in the cold sleet/rain/snow a mere 3 hrs and 15 minutes before they open. I was #7 in line LOL

Wow, people really want to buy ARs. Well the manager came out and was very nice (I think Paul was his name) He always tries to help. He said no guns on shipping manifest but he would check truck. At 5:15 he said no guns just ammo.

I start to head home but wife (yes she came along as she's the greatest) agrees I can try the Round Rock store. I get there around 5:30 and only 1 guy was there. He wanted 2 ARs. Employees there will say nothing except they have "some long guns"

Long story short I BS with guys and by 8:00 there are 20+ people in line. The #1 person in line gets a phone call and leaves, supposedly it was Academy (someone he knew inside) telling him he can not buy more guns as he bought he max for awhile. He warned me that when the doors open a few jerks, that show up 5 min til 8 will run to to gun counter. And guess what? yep... not gonna happen.

They only had one Colt AR. That guy made it to the counter first because I ain't running like a fool through a store. The employee was handing him the gun saying it was the only gun they got in. Luckily about 6 people in line behind me called BS. Waiting for the manager who sold me the gun. But that guy would not leave. Even with a bunch of us telling him to just walk away as 20+ people are staring at him knowing he was wrong. He though first come(to counter) = first served. I would be in jail before he walked out with that gun LOL... just on principle alone.

Just thankful most people that own guns are honest good people. #2 in line is coming over and I'm selling him the Bushmaster I bought for what I paid (849 + tax). Because he was one who stood up and said he was not leaving until they sold me the gun. I get the gun I wanted and Steve #2 gets an AR also.

Oh and another guy swipped all the cheap 5.56 rounds and after the fiasco calmed down gave me 10 boxes out his cart. Never got his name..but thank you whoever you are. He wanted it all but said he did not want the jerk to get any LOL

Wow that's crazy

Comment

this is nuts.

Comment

insane

Comment

People are just being crazy.

I was told by a local gun store that they expect increased shipments in the coming weeks. He said shipments and production were down due to the holidays and it should pick up soon. He could be wrong, but I was lead to believe AR's will not be as hard to come by in a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
            People are just being crazy.

I was told by a local gun store that they expect increased shipments in the coming weeks. He said shipments and production were down due to the holidays and it should pick up soon. He could be wrong, but I was lead to believe AR's will not be as hard to come by in a few weeks.
            Maybe.

I had fun though and since Academy did not raise prices it did not cost me anything extra except my time.

Any idea what a Colt M4 Carbine 5.56 16" barrel was sold for before the craze? It was a lot more than the Bushmaster.

Comment

Sweet!!! My Stag Arms is for sale, $1600

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                Maybe.

I had fun though and since Academy did not raise prices it did not cost me anything extra except my time.

Any idea what a Colt M4 Carbine 5.56 16" barrel was sold for before the craze? It was a lot more than the Bushmaster.
                The Colt 6920 was selling for right at a thousand. What was it sold for at Academy?

Comment

Maybe.

in October out the door (gun dealer not Academy) $1237.00 ( i think before tax $950) Colt LE6920

Comment

Maybe.

I'm kicking myself for not buying one a few months ago. Last time I looked hard at a Colt 6920 about 6 months ago, they seemed to have been priced around the $1,000 mark; give or take a little. Colt is more than Bushmaster.

Comment

The Academy here in San Angelo has finally started limiting magazine purchases to 2 per person. Seems like Academy is keeping their prices consistent and a few jerks seem to try to take advantage of everyone else in the store, much like the guy you encountered running to the counter.

Comment

My Dad and I are thinking about going to the gun show in Belton this weekend just for the entertainment factor. Getting in and out of there plus parking is always a pain and I expect it to be even crazier but it still may be fun to watch the craziness.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTumbleweed View Post
                          The Colt 6920 was selling for right at a thousand. What was it sold for at Academy?
                          Originally posted by wassaw View Post
                          in October out the door (gun dealer not Academy) $1237.00 ( i think before tax $950) Colt LE6920
                          $1269 before tax. It's the Colt LE6920MP-B also labeled LE169359

Colt plus 10 boxes of 5.56, plus a Marlin 22 with a 1400 round bucket of .22 was $1650ish after tax.

Also the RR Academy refuses to hand out numbers. They say it will cause employees too much work I tried explaining that it would solve problems and end up with less work..but they did not listen.

Comment

Would have that hashed out 5 minutes before we walked in. He would have had a hard time running through that store with a spider monkey on his back!

Comment

Had a similar experience there myself recently. Ive been going there every morning looking for some dpms mags.

Comment

Working...
                              X