No announcement yet.

Elk cartridge for small-framed wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Randy Newberg kills piles of elk with 7/08 and 308’s shooting Accubonds and partitions. I’d be much more comfortable with my wife being able to shoot one of those well vs being scared of shooting a magnum

Comment

270 wsm or a 300 wsm. Both have decent recoil and they flat out will take an elk with no problem. Lots of load data for either cartridge but the 300wsm ammo might be more readily available if you don't reload.
      They both shoot pretty flat and have good energy for elk. I load up 165-168 gr bonded bullets for my 300wsm and the felt recoil is not bad when hunting, sighting in might be a little different though.
      My 300wsm takes everything up here from pronghorn to bison, used my 270wsm to take a shiras moose so that caliber would be fine as well.

Comment

260 Rem, 6.5CM, 7mm08

Comment

7-08 or go bigger with a brake. I have a Sako 7mag with a brake, and it recoils about like a .243. And it is a lightweight rifle also. Just have hearing protection ready for the shot with the brake.

Comment

7’08 would be perfect in my opinion. Light recoil, tons of bullet choices, short action......what’s not to like

Comment

Elk cartridge for small-framed wife

7-08 or 280AI is what my wife would use. That said my buddy had great results with his APR Creedmore on a big bull between 250 & 300 yards

143 ELDX

Comment

Put me in with the 7mm-08. It’s an awesome round and will do the job. Just about ideal for the ladies.

Comment

7mm-08 is my vote as well. Up here I know there are a lot of female hunters using that caliber. Low felt recoil and plenty of energy for elk.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayspr View Post
                    7’08 would be perfect in my opinion. Light recoil, tons of bullet choices, short action......what’s not to like
                    My call as well. My son has been shooting this since 9 years of age. I started him on reduced recoil loads the first year and then weaned him off.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                      My call as well. My son has been shooting this since 9 years of age. I started him on reduced recoil loads the first year and then weaned him off.
                      My oldest son and youngest both shoot a 7’08. Both started with reduced loads and are now shooting full power loads. I personally own 2 of em and believe a 7’08 might be about perfect for a whitetail gun and is plenty sufficient for an elk gun.

Comment

.308 with 7-08 second.

Comment

7mm-08 or 6.5CM would be my wifes choice.

Comment

Compact 7mm-08

Comment

7mm-08 loaded with 160 grain Nosler partitions will get it done

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
                                Randy Newberg kills piles of elk with 7/08 and 308’s shooting Accubonds and partitions. I’d be much more comfortable with my wife being able to shoot one of those well vs being scared of shooting a magnum

Yep, this is the correct answer and if possible add a suppressor which makes a HUGE difference. My wife shoots a suppressed 30-06 and has taken all kinds of large game from elk to eland with no problem.
                                R

Comment

Working...
                                X