Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-20-2019, 09:51 PM   #901
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
We were in humble next to the dump..
Facility is actually really nice...but holy smell...
They musta got a hell of a deal on the land for it...
Been there a time or three for baseball and soccer if it's the place I'm thinking about. Lindsey Lyons or something along those lines?
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 05:19 AM   #902
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
Been there a time or three for baseball and soccer if it's the place I'm thinking about. Lindsey Lyons or something along those lines?
Thats the place
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 06:56 AM   #903
chris1911
Ten Point

Went 0-1-1 on Saturday, boys just didnt look like they wanted to play at all.
Sunday morning, my "kids" birthday, turned 14, won first game 7-2. him and his catcher are now 3-0 on Sunday morning games. lost game two 7-5. was 7-0 until the last inning with 2 outs and they decided they wanted to show up. would have been 5-0 as the other team did not score off a base hit.....all errors.

anyway game 1 was a little foggy
Name:  72663534_10212576418805841_4164833450538303488_n.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  69.8 KB
chris1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2019, 07:36 AM   #904
junior
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bell,Williamson,San Saba Counties

My 10U team won their tournament. We’re 2-4 in winning our tournaments. I figure they’ll bump us up to AAA now. Pretty good group of kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
junior is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #905
systemnt
Pope & Young

When you are wearing two pieces of protective equipment, and the pitcher is determined to hit you in one of them... which one do you choose?
Tan chose wisely.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:28 AM   #906
systemnt
Pope & Young

Tanner had a hard weekend at the plate... mostly because he became a target..
Helmet hit on sat.
50ish mph fast ball to shoulder blade on Sunday.
Didnt wince ..cry..wimper..wore it and took his base..
He said after the game he mightve said a bad word under his breath when he saw it comin.

Behind the plate was another great tourney. Picks at third and second.. and tagouts at home.
Fun weekend..came up short..but boys played well.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:57 AM   #907
BitBackShot
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Llano County

My son pitched a complete game surrendering only 2 runs in the semis and his buddy did the same for us to run rule the last 2 games at BBUSA.

Bats were on fire as well. Good outing.

BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2019, 09:27 AM   #908
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Great job fellas
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #909
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

My 8 year old daughter was asked to pick up with a 10u team this past weekend. It was her first experience with kid pitch. Her team won the championship and she laid down some really nice bunts.

https://youtu.be/RLIk7CKwo2c

salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #910
systemnt
Pope & Young

Awesome stuff!
Old 11-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #911
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

Love following along on this thread. Brings back some great memories. My son was brought up playing select baseball and finished his last 6 years playing with the Banditos org. He was offered multiple scholarships offers (pitching) with a few at the D1 level till he decided to stay close to him and took a full scholarship at Galveston College. I still haven't completely rapped my head around why he decided to hang up his cleats the beginning of this year but it is his life.lol

With that said, he has decided he wants to help up n comers and is now giving lessons in the Houston/The Woodlands/Conroe etc area for pitching and hitting. Colton will definently get your boy game ready so give him a shout. He recently just started his own Instagram page.

Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #912
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country
Default 2019 Select Baseball

Luke played in Middle School Matchup tournament last weekend. This is a one time a year tourney that gets 6-8th graders at the same school and plays against other schools.

Because of how crazy select ball (and parents) is, we had 10 kids from one middles school that play on 9 different select teams.

They all came together and played loose and joked around...it was awesome. I couldn’t recommend this enough if you have kids this age and enough to organize a team at your school.

ShockValue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 12:59 PM   #913
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Sock I wish this area would have done this. One of the best ideas I have seen in a while. Everyone enjoy the upcoming Spring season.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 01:04 PM   #914
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockValue View Post
Luke played in Middle School Matchup tournament last weekend. This is a one time a year tourney that gets 6-8th graders at the same school and plays against other schools.

Because of how crazy select ball (and parents) is, we had 10 kids from one middles school that play on 9 different select teams.

They all came together and played loose and joked around...it was awesome. I couldn’t recommend this enough if you have kids this age and enough to organize a team at your school.

That sounds like a blast!

Brady is trying out Sunday, with Canes organization, for next spring. I’m ready to see him play in his own age group for the first time next year.

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 02:11 PM   #915
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:

everyone i know that has done the MSM has said it was a blast. nobody put one together for our middle school and i found out about it right after the deadline or i would have tried to get it together.

ive seen how much great pub MSM has gotten around DFW the last few years and wonder why we all just dont go with the little league or dixie league model where kids play representing their hometown, with all their friends...?

all you hear about is how much fun they had playing MSM yet monday afternoon everyone is back playing with their select teams with kids from everywhere...
Old 11-14-2019, 02:44 PM   #916
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
everyone i know that has done the MSM has said it was a blast. nobody put one together for our middle school and i found out about it right after the deadline or i would have tried to get it together.

ive seen how much great pub MSM has gotten around DFW the last few years and wonder why we all just dont go with the little league or dixie league model where kids play representing their hometown, with all their friends...?

all you hear about is how much fun they had playing MSM yet monday afternoon everyone is back playing with their select teams with kids from everywhere...
Yep, I'm afraid that ship has sailed but there are a few bucking the system. I just saw a post on FB North Texas Baseball VS. The World about boycotting Triple Crown tourneys because of the stupid costs. Tons of teams in DFW have been avoiding USSSA tourneys due to the crappy way most are run in this area and the cost associated with it. Lots of teams are organizing their own Double Headers in lieu of tournaments.

There is definitely a need for change but I don't know if you ever could get this horse back in the barn. It should be mandated to play within your town until you are 12U or so, but that will never happen....mainly due to $$$ and the rest due to parents.

Last edited by ShockValue; 11-14-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:46 PM   #917
cwill
Ten Point

Quote:

That sounds awesome!
Old 11-14-2019, 02:51 PM   #918
cwill
Ten Point

Both of mine are down to their last weekend of the fall. Man this season seemed to go by faster than ever. My youngest will be 11u come spring and my 14yo will have high school tryouts. He's 14 until August and tiny, but has worked hard and can finally swing that BBCOR with decent bat speed. It's almost time to restx and hunt for all of us! Lol
Old 11-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #919
jer_james
Pope & Young

It has been crazy how much steam the MSM has gotten in our area. Very frustrating to see the kids from the same school / nearby schools getting to play together and wondering what if …

We got into select ball for competition reasons only. If all these kids that were part of this Middle School thing were to join up in little league, we would have a completely different feel / landscape.

We just did the DH league in Frisco. Made it to the Championship game in the post season tournament. Jax has played great defense at SS / 2nd / CF. He still doesn't have much power, but he is having fun with this group.

We are having a wooden bat tourney this weekend. Our only tourney of the Fall, and it has been great.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 04:12 PM   #920
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
That sounds like a blast!

Brady is trying out Sunday, with Canes organization, for next spring. I’m ready to see him play in his own age group for the first time next year.

Very nice Dale! How old is he now?

TXJim's boys play for the Canes in Austin. They love it.

Make sure you know/research the coach...much more important than the cool threads.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:11 PM   #921
systemnt
Pope & Young

Msm sounds cool ..going to have to look into that in the future.

Got our last tourney of FB this weekend... 8am and 9:45am game.and its gonna be cold

Last edited by systemnt; 11-14-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:45 AM   #922
systemnt
Pope & Young

Last tourney of fall ball and coldest..
Funfunfun.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:51 AM   #923
jshouse
Pope & Young

#donotenvy

Haha good luck
Old 11-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #924
systemnt
Pope & Young

Wasnt too bad.
Boys competed against a major throw together team..came up short with some early inning walks they couldnt quite recover from.
Second game was a blowout..boys decided to have fun and blew through the lineup first AB..
Tan caught well today as usual..had a little fun at the plate and got to actually run his bases (usually pinch ran for so he can get his gear on).which he was excited about to the point he almost got picked off at 3rd a dozen times..comin up grinning
Nailed in the back..again.. laughed and shook his head on way to first
Hes not all there

See where we seed tomorrow.

Buddy heaters are a saviour.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:07 PM   #925
junior
Pope & Young

Quote:
Wasnt too bad.
Boys competed against a major throw together team..came up short with some early inning walks they couldnt quite recover from.
Second game was a blowout..boys decided to have fun and blew through the lineup first AB..
Tan caught well today as usual..had a little fun at the plate and got to actually run his bases (usually pinch ran for so he can get his gear on).which he was excited about to the point he almost got picked off at 3rd a dozen times..comin up grinning
Nailed in the back..again.. laughed and shook his head on way to first
Hes not all there

See where we seed tomorrow.

Buddy heaters are a saviour.

Where y’all playing?

Old 11-16-2019, 10:09 PM   #926
junior
Pope & Young

We played two games today, won with combined score of 27-0. First seed for tomorrow

Hope the bats stay hot.

Old 11-16-2019, 11:34 PM   #927
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Where y’all playing?

Bbusa.
Got 9:45 start tomorrow..

Vehicles got broke into tonight by field1...(i read on fb)
Old 11-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #928
jshouse
Pope & Young

Good luck
Old 11-17-2019, 05:34 PM   #929
systemnt
Pope & Young

Got through first round playing horribly.. boys couldnt stop or throw a ball if their lives depended on it and could hit one if it was tied to the bat.
Somehow our two weakest hitters got huge hits and we walked off a win

Second game much much better against a great salty team.....just came up short in 'overtime'..
Thats a wrap for fall ball.

It hit him after the game and he teared up during the coaches speech..he loves this game.

Continuing his lessons and might do a camp till spring tryouts.

He did get a guy trying to steal home on him in the 'overtime' inning..
https://youtu.be/FJr_hEyWBT0
Old 11-18-2019, 06:31 AM   #930
systemnt
Pope & Young

Forgot to mention the amount of trash can banging there was at the park this weekend... it was insane.
Started out being funny..walking by a 8u coach pitch game and hearing trashcans being hit..
Then it got annoying when every field had it going on... really started to make it hard for our batters to hear our trashcan..
Rumors of wifi'd gopros in centerfield too..but nobody can prove nuttin cuz i disguised it to look like a squirrel..
Old 11-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #931
glen
Pope & Young

Well my kid is done unless he needs a few innings after Spring HS ball. You will hear all kinds of negative about the travel ball from folks. Just ignore it and enjoy it. Sure sometimes it’s a grind but lots of good family time as well. I think this Spring I will catch one more bullpen for the kid if I can. I’m to old and slow and can’t keep up with the movement but I’ll give it a go anyway.

Y’all keep it up I enjoy following.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #932
Chase This!
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 74-72

Quote:
Got through first round playing horribly.. boys couldnt stop or throw a ball if their lives depended on it and could hit one if it was tied to the bat.
Somehow our two weakest hitters got huge hits and we walked off a win

Second game much much better against a great salty team.....just came up short in 'overtime'..
Thats a wrap for fall ball.

It hit him after the game and he teared up during the coaches speech..he loves this game.

Continuing his lessons and might do a camp till spring tryouts.

He did get a guy trying to steal home on him in the 'overtime' inning..
https://youtu.be/FJr_hEyWBT0
Poor kiddo pulled back on a suicide squeeze. Ouch.
Chase This! is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 11:18 AM   #933
jer_james
Pope & Young

Finished up with a couple wins - Not great, but not terrible. Still having fun with the Families that have assembled.

I can see travel ball being good for Families who have one kid, but I don't get how it could be for multiple kiddos, lol.

I am now constantly having to choose what events I have to miss, and I hate it. I have always been the at everything Dad, and that's just not possible as the kiddos have grown, and been on more competitive teams. My Daughter's don't want to be at the ballfield all day even if they have a strange off weekend.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 11:29 AM   #934
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Very nice Dale! How old is he now?

TXJim's boys play for the Canes in Austin. They love it.

Make sure you know/research the coach...much more important than the cool threads.
He's 8.

Tried out yesterday, got the offer to play this morning....now we wait.

I thought the tryout would be more "involved". They just hit some grounders at'em, threw some fly balls, and hit about 10 each in the cage. But I guess those guys can see what they want pretty quick.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #935
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
Finished up with a couple wins - Not great, but not terrible. Still having fun with the Families that have assembled.

I can see travel ball being good for Families who have one kid, but I don't get how it could be for multiple kiddos, lol.

I am now constantly having to choose what events I have to miss, and I hate it. I have always been the at everything Dad, and that's just not possible as the kiddos have grown, and been on more competitive teams. My Daughter's don't want to be at the ballfield all day even if they have a strange off weekend.
i hear ya, i coached logans 4th grade football this year and only got to see parts of brocks games because of it and it drive me crazy lol.

looks like logan is making a move for baseball this spring too, just got off the phone with his coach, we are leaving the 9u generals and joining the 10u texans. logan is a may birthday and has been playing with is age but not his grade, so we are jumping up to play with his grade, he also wants more time to play basketball so the move makes more sense. the texans are coached by the coaches i coached football with and there are 6 kids from the football team there so the move should be easy.

brocks dallas mustangs team has come together pretty well this fall, i will admit i was missing playing games but they gave gotten a ton of reps and some great coaching. regardless of how the team does in the spring i know brock has gotten better this fall and look forward to the coaching and practices in the spring, winning games will be gravy.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:40 AM   #936
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
He's 8.

I thought the tryout would be more "involved". They just hit some grounders at'em, threw some fly balls, and hit about 10 each in the cage. But I guess those guys can see what they want pretty quick.
i think at that age they can tell pretty quick who they want lol. if he can catch and make contact he is probably above the cut line.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:59 AM   #937
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
i think at that age they can tell pretty quick who they want lol. if he can catch and make contact he is probably above the cut line.
Yup.. tracking a ball and showing desire helps too..
Old 11-18-2019, 10:00 PM   #938
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

Fall ball is over time for a break and get in the woods before tryouts in December. This will be my last spring season coaching select ball son will be going to HS next year. I’m glad and sad at the same time as I have a lot of hours on the diamond preparing my boys for HS, but now it’s time for me to focus just on my son after the spring season. Take a break guys the kids need it enjoy the holidays with family and don’t worry about baseball until January.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 07:29 AM   #939
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

We finally wrapped up the fall season with a tournament win over a very good team from Lufkin. It’s time to focus on all things outdoors. There are ducks and bucks to be killed and fish to be caught.

salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #940
junior
Pope & Young

Quote:
He's 8.

You can tell in about 10 throws,catches, and swings if a kid can play. When I coached high school baseball we could pretty much make 90% of our cuts while watching them play catch.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:09 PM   #941
CooterBrown
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

Academy is selling all of their A2000, and high end Rawlings and Easton gloves that say “DISPLAY” or “SAMPLE” on them for $50 right now
CooterBrown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2019, 07:00 PM   #942
glen
Pope & Young

Well my kid has a Winter Camp just before he starts his HS season and I think that will be it with his organization unless he needs to get a few innings. He has had a good run and it should be good times ahead. Excited to move on but will miss some of the kids I have seen over the years.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2019, 08:15 PM   #943
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Well my kid has a Winter Camp just before he starts his HS season and I think that will be it with his organization unless he needs to get a few innings. He has had a good run and it should be good times ahead. Excited to move on but will miss some of the kids I have seen over the years.
Man love that balance and toe down. I have been teaching that for years stride out and get downhill. When the toe goes up head goes back and arms slot gets outside hard to break on most kids. Good luck to him!
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2019, 08:53 PM   #944
cwill
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooterBrown View Post
Academy is selling all of their A2000, and high end Rawlings and Easton gloves that say “DISPLAY” or “SAMPLE” on them for $50 right now
Well this just made me spend $100. Lol. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-26-2019, 08:55 PM   #945
cwill
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Big tall kid looks intimidating on the bump! Good luck to him and I've sure enjoyed following his progress on here!
Old 11-26-2019, 08:58 PM   #946
cwill
Ten Point

My 2 are done and now we hunt! 14yo will try out for HS this year which dosen't seem possible! He didn't grow like I had hoped he would, but they're not going to outwork him so I think he has a shot at making JV. 11 yo is still like a baby giraffe and only the good lord knows if he'll be a ballplayer or not! It's sure been fun chasing these boys from park to park. Happy holidays to you all!
Old 12-06-2019, 09:21 PM   #947
systemnt
Pope & Young

Tryouts tomorrow.
Hes pretty much set but going to put in work anyway
Old 12-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #948
jshouse
Pope & Young

Good luck
Old 12-07-2019, 10:34 AM   #949
glen
Pope & Young

What a great weather day to get out and play around on the diamond. I always liked seeing the kids get back together after a break. Cool to see the fire back in their eyes.
Good luck to all the kids trying out and hope they all land in a program that is fit for them
Old 12-07-2019, 11:14 AM   #950
KcRoyalsScout
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Kansas

I am an Area Scout with the Kc Royals. I moved from Kansas and live in Mckinney. If anyone has any areas to bow hunt in Colin county or surrounding hunts i would gladly trade lessons/instructions for the ability to bow hunt around here!
KcRoyalsScout is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top