No announcement yet.

South Texas Hunters Thread 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol hopefully I’m out there when a nice one decides to step out and give me a chance at taking a shot.

Comment

I hunt on the Jim Hogg, Zapata county line and it varies by about a week or two. Last year they kicked in pretty good around the 20th of december. But saw bucks chasing right up till the last day of the season. But between the 20th and about the first week in January just about every doe had a buck or three chasing them.

Comment

Knowing my luck it will start this weekend since I had to cancel my trip this weekend. Oh well I will be out there the weekend of the 14th for an extended weekend so maybe something will happen.

Comment

they were chasing and runnin all over last weekend in lasalle. I'm definitely thinking this little cool front coming this weekend is going to kick it off.

Comment

Seems different from place to place
            Star county Jan 1-2
            Coastal plans Kennedy, Brooks thanksgiving- January
            Eastern Webb thanksgiving- Christmas
            West Webb 12-15 thru Jan 15

Comment

anyone using popup blinds off of senderos away from feeders? Just feeding heavy in front of them in each direction? I’ve got tripods set up but I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb every time I hunt them.

What do you archery hunters do during the rut, anything different?

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                Not sure how I missed this when you posted but congrats! That is a heck of a buck and it appears you got yourself a heck of a good lease. McMullen Co is often overlooked but there are some great bucks down there! Congratulations.

Thank you, I cannot wait until he’s hanging on the wall! We have been very pleased with the ranch and McMullen County and look forward to hunting there for years to come! The genetics are definitely there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ll be heading down Friday hopefully to catch peak of the rut Saturday-Tuesday.

Comment

Anybody have any luck this past weekend?

Comment

Had A couple of Mature bucks chasing a doe Sunday morning. Also saw a few small buck pushing does by feeders but they weren’t ready. I think some of the older mature does might be starting to enter their cycle and those mature buck will lock down on those until they are ready. The next 3 days are great weather wise. Our rut in Webb county is usually Around December 15. I did rattle a few times this weekend but no luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Headed down tomorrow to hunt until I kill or have to return to work on the 22nd. Whichever happens first.

Comment

I have hunted La Salle County on the same place for over 25 years. I have always thought Dec 15th was around the peak. It can be a magical time but can also be extremely slow when all the mature deer lock down on a doe. With that said Im taking off Dec 14th - 18th and feel pretty confident Im going to hit the peak.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaSpray View Post
                            I have hunted La Salle County on the same place for over 25 years. I have always thought Dec 15th was around the peak. It can be a magical time but can also be extremely slow when all the mature deer lock down on a doe. With that said Im taking off Dec 14th - 18th and feel pretty confident Im going to hit the peak.

I hope you’re right. We’ll be in Duval county the 14th-20th. We hit it good last year during that time, but the years prior, we missed it.

Comment

Good luck fellas

Comment

Originally posted by SeaSpray View Post

I think I’ve hit peak a few times and been like where the heck are all the mature bucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X