Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Awesome week! Oklahoma mule deer and Texas whitetail. Long read, but lots of LDPs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome week! Oklahoma mule deer and Texas whitetail. Long read, but lots of LDPs

Had an awesome thanksgiving week this past week. Started out the Saturday before thanksgiving in Oklahoma for a mule deer hunt, plus elk if they opportunity came up. Elk were a no show and the mule deer was tough. We saw a few great bucks, just couldn’t close the deal on them. One of my buddies shot a decent mule deer the third day and our other guy shot a whitetail the morning of the fourth day. I had seen some decent deer and passed a pretty cool straight 8 with no forks. Ended the last evening with a decent buck to close out a tough hunt. Was a cool place, and I’m definitely looking forward to heading back next year.

Wrapped up that hunt and headed home as quick as I could. Slept in Wednesday morning after getting in late and headed down to the lease Wednesday evening. Passed a really cool 10 point that evening that just wasn’t quite old enough. Had a tall 8 on camera that I thought would be a good one to shoot. He was a no show, so I headed home for Thanksgiving at our house with the in-laws. Got them fed and on the road Thursday afternoon and Erin and I took our youngest daughter, Remington, down to the lease for a Thanksgiving evening hunt. I’ve had a huge 6 point on camera all year and have seen him several times in the evening so I was hoping he would show for Remi. We walked in a little late and busted the 6 and about 7-8 does off of my bow feeder on our way to the box blind. Alittle bummed, we climbed in the rifle blind and hoped they’d come back when the feeder went off. We settled in and right as I opened the front window, Erin said “There’s a buck!” I looked out front and waking up the road to our rifle feeder was a nice framed buck. I didn’t study him much, just got the 280 AI set up on the bags and got Remi behind it. He got in the brush and made a scrape and then turned and headed towards another feeder out in front of us. He popped out of the brush at 80 yards and turned and looked right at us. I told Remi she better hurry and about 2-3 seconds later, the rifle rang out and he dropped in his tracks. I slipped out to make sure he was down for good and got back in to see if something would come out for Erin. Nothing showed, so after dark we drug him out of the brush and got some good pics.

Got that buck home and on ice and got in bed for the morning hunt. Erin had to work so I headed back down alone and hoped the tall 8 would show. I got in and as soon as it got light, I was immediately seeing bucks. Saw some nice young bucks out chasing. Was watching a young 10 at my bow stand from the rifle blind and about 2 minutes later, the 8 came out of the brush chasing a doe away. Grabbed the rifle quick and got a hard quartering shot off as he ran her into the brush at 200 yards. Heard the shot hit, but gave him 15 minutes and walked down to find him right inside the brush by my bow feeder. Pretty cool 8 point with almost 12” G2s.

Took him over to the ranch and got him in the walk in and drove 30 minutes North to another lease we have with some friends. Fog rolled in over there and it got cold and windy. I could only see about 80 yards so I went to a tripod that is about that far from a feeder. Bundled up and climbed in and was pretty much thinking it was a waste of time. Feeder went off and almost instantly there was 10-11 does under it. I could see them better without binos because the magnification made the fog seem thicker and hard to see. My rifle was in a zip up case because I didn’t want it to get wet, so I figured it would be a miracle if I could get it out to shoot a deer that close being in an open air tripod. About the time I figured I would just be watching does, I look over and see a huge body walking out of the fog. He went straight to the feeder and luckily got in front of a cedar tree so I could make out his outline. Couldn’t tell what deer he was, just that he looked heavy and mature. Decide to try and get my gun and after what felt like 10 minutes of slowly taking it out, I got set up for the shot. While I was getting the gun, about half the does started towards the trees my tripod was in and I knew I needed to shoot now or get busted by them. I got in the scope and saw the buck slowly walking to the side and could barely make him out. I put the crosshairs out in front of his chest and let him walk into them and squeezed the trigger. Heard a loud thump and knew he was toast. He luckily ran somewhat towards me but after about 20 yards, he stopped and was looking around like nothing was wrong. I jacked another shell and shot him quartering to me and dropped him. So excited to see what he was, I bailed out and ran down to him. He ended up being my favorite of the summer bucks we had on camera and bigger than I thought. I snapped a quick pic and sent it to my buddy, telling him that I guess I missed my first shot because he didn’t act hit at all even though I heard a solid whack. Turned to head back and get the truck and realized what the whack was, there was a doe laying about 30 yards away and probably halfway between me and where the buck was when I took the first shot. I guess she was in the group working to me and raised her head at the exact time I shot at him. The bullet hit her right between the ears and took the top of her head off. Luckily, I still had a doe tag and now, three deer down for the day! Looking back at the pic I sent my buddy when I got to the buck, you can see the doe in the background. I just ran right past her in my excitement. Fun day for sure.

Headed back home and after some caping and quartering, got in bed late. Saturday was windy so we slept in and headed down for the evening hunt with our middle and oldest girls. My oldest shot her buck opening weekend, but tagged along to sit in another blind and watch for us. Erin, Ava and I jumped in the same blind Remi shot hers from, hoping the 6 would show. Ava has hunted a bunch, but hasn’t been into it as much the last two years so I was excited she wanted to try for the cull. She was in the shooters seat with Mom behind us watching. Had two young 8s stroll in early so we were excited for the evening, even with the wind still blowing. About 30 minutes before dark, I looked over on the neighbor’s hill and our big 6 was chasing a doe the wrong direction. Figuring he was gone for the day, we hoped another older deer would show. With 15 minutes left, I looked down a draw and right at our fence saw a stud buck about to jump onto us. I looked him over and told Ava that we probably needed to let Mom have a crack at this one and she agreed. She slowly moved over and out of the loud rolling chair, but Erin couldn’t step over in it without making too much noise and the buck had already jumped and was walking right at us. She decided to set in my lap instead and got behind the 280. The buck was at 100 yards by now and walked right past the feeder without stopping. He was at about 50 yards and about to be too much to the side for the window she was shooting out of so I stopped him with a grunt and instantly Erin hammered one through his shoulder. He took two hops forward and stood behind a tree for about 7-8 seconds before falling straight over. We were pumped. She has put a ton of time in for a good buck and usually ends up letting the girls shoot so I was super happy for her to get this one.

It was an awesome weekend and definitely one to be thankful for. All these were shot with an APR in 280 Ackley and 140 gr Accubonds and I have to say, it’s quickly becoming my favorite combo. Robert built this for me this spring and I love it. If you haven’t gotten in on one of the TBH group builds, you need to jump in on the next one. These guys make great guns and are top notch to deal with, as well as being site sponsors. You won’t be disappointed. Sorry for the long read and thanks for looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the gigantic pics. Tapatalk didn’t give me the option to pic a size.

Comment

Awesome man! Congrats to you and your family! Great deer!

Comment

Just wow! So happy for y’all!

Comment

What a freaking awesome week!

Comment

Way to go bud nice deer nice family great pics!

Comment

Always laying down the giants.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats, good times with the family.

Comment

Congratulations on some great deer and even better life time family memories. You are doing it right!

Comment

Y'all did put the smack down on them. Congrats to everyone on the deer and memories. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Just awesome. congratulations!

Comment

That is a heck of a week. You guys put some serious bone down. Congrats! Your wife's buck is awesome

Comment

Heck yeah, congrats to everyone!

Comment

That's one heck of a week, Matt! Congrats!!

Comment

Wow, very nice. Congrats to all.

Comment

Working...
                              X