No announcement yet.

Mountain Lions ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is just north of the Red river in Choctaw county Oklahoma. This is the first ive ever had on camera. There have been lots of sightings in Oklahoma this year judging by the few pages I follow. I think there are a lot more than we think!

Click image for larger version

Name:	67154469_2918310141528841_8609736263840301056_o.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	24600352

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      Obviously they are predators. I've never heard of them killing livestock but I'm sure they do. But would think they'd kill a lot more livestock in Colorado where there's more of them.

Was just thinking (maybe my problem LOL) I'd just think with all the "save the cats" BS around the world yet no one cares about ML's And they are far more rare (or at least seen) than most other cats.
      Ex inlaws had a cat come through and kill 30-40 goats in one night. Goats were penned getting ready to sale.

Comment

There’s a ton of bobcats all over the state. How often do you see them? There’s probably a hundred or more bobcats for every lion out there. How often do you think your going to see them? I Try and keep up with the lion studies that Sol Ross conduct. It’s actually shows that they believe lions are on the increase in Texas.

Comment

Mountain Lions ??

I have been following a local study with five collared mountain lions(3 males 2 females).
          Three lions have logged over 15 months on the collars. They seem to have a very diverse diet.

Badger leads the list of meals. Elk, feral horses, coyotes are up there on the confirmed meal list as well. Surprisingly cattle is not on the list of meals yet with these five.
          This is one of the male cats in the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by ladrones; 11-27-2019, 08:55 AM.

Comment

TPWD would be smart to start monitoring the population before the feds step in and do it.

Comment

That’s a solid looking Tom cat right there. Not missing too many meals.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                TPWD would be smart to start monitoring the population before the feds step in and do it.
                They do. In fact, the population is expanding in Texas according to TPWD.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                  I have been following a local study with five collared mountain lions(3 males 2 females).
                  Three lions have logged over 15 months on the collars. They seem to have a very diverse diet.

Badger leads the list of meals. Elk, feral horses, coyotes are up there on the confirmed meal list as well. Surprisingly cattle is not on the list of meals yet with these five.
                  This is one of the male cats in the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool! Do you know the range on the 5 lions? Curious to know if they stay in a general area or move around a great distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                    Mt lions are not rare at all. They range from Canada down to the southern tip of South America.
                    Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                    They aren't rare. They span from the tip of South America to Canada.

Lol what are y’all like holdin hands or what?

Comment

I've got several pics of them on our lease near Pumpville. It's really surprising to me that they don't eat a lot of livestock. It's pretty evidnt of that due to the population of wild sheep (mouflon/barbado) that keep residence on our lease. I would have thought that the sheep would be easy prey for the lions, but they seem to keep flourishing even though we keep trying to wipe them out. To date, I have not found a lion killed sheep or deer on our place. They're there though:

Name:	02270959.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	24600358

Name:	IMG_0195.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	24600359

Name:	01290352.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	24600360

The 2015 dates are incorrect. These were all taken in 2018.

Comment

Those that say they're not rare I disagree, obviously there are hot spots such as Colorado and Big Bend... but I've hunted in their prime range for 24 years and have never seen one. Zero.... and have only gotten 3 pics of them on trailcams, also got 1 picture of a bear. Seems rare to me...

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                          I've got several pics of them on our lease near Pumpville. It's really surprising to me that they don't eat a lot of livestock. It's pretty evidnt of that due to the population of wild sheep (mouflon/barbado) that keep residence on our lease. I would have thought that the sheep would be easy prey for the lions, but they seem to keep flourishing even though we keep trying to wipe them out. To date, I have not found a lion killed sheep or deer on our place. They're there though:

[ATTACH]981914[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]981915[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]981916[/ATTACH]

The 2015 dates are incorrect. These were all taken in 2018.
                          Three in one pic is awesome! I almost missed the one with its back to the camera

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                            Those that say they're not rare I disagree, obviously there are hot spots such as Colorado and Big Bend... but I've hunted in their prime range for 24 years and have never seen one. Zero.... and have only gotten 3 pics of them on trailcams, also got 1 picture of a bear. Seems rare to me...
                            Rare and shy are two different things

Comment

I know a lion hunter that lives in the Big Bend region and has hunted lions with hounds for over 40 years. He said in all that time, he had only seen one cat that wasn’t Bering chased by dogs. It just happened to cross a road in front of him.

Comment

Mountain Lions ??

We have a couple. I am hoping the coon he is looking at was on his eat list. [emoji2]

He has been spotted 3 times. I have seen him once, 200 yards away. 2others could have shot him but were scared to, with rifles

A wise man’s heart inclines to the right, but the heart of a fool to the left.
                                Ecclesiastes 10:2
                                Last edited by bps3040; 11-27-2019, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X