No announcement yet.

Dying Blackbuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend of mine has had BB in his high fence ranch for many years now south of Refugio. He has had a helluva time trying to build his BB herd. Most years, most of the fawns die. All of the other animals seem to do quite well. There is plenty of feed, water and there isnt remotely an over population of animals on his place. They just seem to be more delicate than the other animals. I know the coyotes get some but Im sure they get some of the other fawns as well.

Comment

Lost 8 in the last year and all were in a 6 month period. No clue what happened and spent $3k on multiple animals to have Necropsy done at Texas A&M. Just took it as a loss and moved on. Couple I believe died from being farted. Others no clue. My initial thought was too much copper from AntlerMax Feed. We changed feed and havnt lost another animal. Antelope are in the goat family and too much copper can kill them. Hard to say exactly what it was but that was my theory. I know a couple ranches that feed AntlerMax and no deaths like this so I can’t say for a fact that was the cause.

Comment

i like to have died from being farted once also
        Last edited by Jcjohnson; 11-13-2019, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
          Lost 8 in the last year and all were in a 6 month period. No clue what happened and spent $3k on multiple animals to have Necropsy done at Texas A&M. Just took it as a loss and moved on. Couple I believe died from being farted. Others no clue. My initial thought was too much copper from AntlerMax Feed. We changed feed and havnt lost another animal. Antelope are in the goat family and too much copper can kill them. Hard to say exactly what it was but that was my theory. I know a couple ranches that feed AntlerMax and no deaths like this so I can’t say for a fact that was the cause.
          Thats a helluva way to go lol

Comment

Originally posted by antlers86 View Post
            lost 8 in the last year and all were in a 6 month period. No clue what happened and spent $3k on multiple animals to have necropsy done at texas a&m. Just took it as a loss and moved on. couple i believe died from being farted. Others no clue. My initial thought was too much copper from antlermax feed. We changed feed and havnt lost another animal. Antelope are in the goat family and too much copper can kill them. Hard to say exactly what it was but that was my theory. I know a couple ranches that feed antlermax and no deaths like this so i can’t say for a fact that was the cause.
            Originally posted by jcjohnson View Post
            i like to have died from being farted once also
            lmao!

Comment

What did ATM say? And why were they so gassy? Taco Bell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They definitely look neurologic. Could be a brain worm (Paralaphostrongylus).

Comment

Blackbuck don’t contract CWD. I’d be willing to bet the cooler temps got them.

Comment

Did they fart so hard it killed them? Or did you fart so bad in their general direction that your fart killed them? Either way....DANG!

Comment

If it’s EHD there will be lots of bleeding in the chest and usually fluid in the lungs.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinAndy View Post
                        A guy I work with was at a ranch near Beeville a couple weeks ago and they had lost several black buck. The loan survivor was just walking around in circles. Either the ranch manager or owner told him it had something to do with snails..... No idea if there is any truth to it, but you guys aren't too far from each other.
                        Menengial worms, enter the bloodstream when the buck eats a very small snail on the grass, worm goes to the brain and causes the menengial lining to swell. This causes the buck to be unable to walk and the starve or die from lack of water.

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
                          What did ATM say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine always says insufficient funds

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
                            Is that maybe something like EHD then? I don't know if BB get that. But the circling thing seems like a symptoms of EHD.
                            keep guessing...

NOT CWD or EHD, neither acts like this.

Comment

Polio? I know goats can get it. Saw it on some reality show.

Comment

No idea but interested in learning. In my experience, blackbuck are the weakest of the (common) TX exotics.

Comment

Working...
                                X