No announcement yet.

Having Kids....(advice)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheesh, my post is different than the others... I also agree with everything stated previously

Comment

You will never be ready and will figure it out. Things you deem important before kids will make you laugh after kids.

Comment

Originally posted by AgTag23 View Post
        But what about financial readiness?
        If you do the math, you will realize that you probably can't afford to have kids.

But somehow, it still works out.

Comment

JLP brings up a good point....A stay at home spouse. We decided early on that we would have mom at home and learn to live on one salary. Probably the toughest decision we had to make, but for us, it was well worth it.

In today's society, one AVERAGE income is very difficult to raise a family on...but, it worked. Funny, now that the kids are grown and out, I make more $$ than I have ever made and we get to spend it how we want. My kids never lacked for any need but they may not have had the latest and greatest. I see them now and they are still operating that way in their own lives. They don't chase the latest and greatest. They don't over extend themselves. They are mostly good with their money.

Comment

Know what infant and toddler daycare costs. Those expenses dont really go down much until kindergarten.

Comment

The happiest time in my life was when my wife and I were struggling everyday to make ends meet and my kids were small. You will manage. After a hard days work , ground venison and hamburger helper is awesome! You priorities change. But we had each other. No matter how dirty or filthy or tired I was walking in the door it was ' Daddies Home!" and I was covered in hugs. You can't imagine the fun you can have with a simple pile of leaves in the yard, or making forts in the house with cardboard boxes. Just love them and play with them. Life is short. You will manage just find. Life throws curve balls. We saved for years in the Texas Tomorrow Fund for our kids to be able to go to college and get degrees and not a single one stayed in for more than two years. There were so many other things we could have done with that money we put away. Like save for our retirement. It will work out. In the meantime you two go practice on making those babies very chance you get.

Comment

If you wait until you can afford kids you'll never have any. Having kids will be the best thing that will ever happen to you.
                Last edited by Hoggslayer; 03-05-2019, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                  If you wait until you can afford kids you'll never have any. Best thing that will ever happen to you.
                  True. It will result in less financial flexibility and giving up more than you want. But it will make you a better person for it.

Daycare will probably be the biggest expense. My wife stays home with our kids. The peace of mind knowing they are being raised by the person that cares about them most in this world plus no daycare cost is more than worth it to me to give up a second source of income from my wife.

Life's not all about money. You'll realize that sooner or later. The sooner the better.

Comment

Agree with everything above. Your never really ready, so just do it and enjoy the kids. My daughter will be 4 on the 16th. Shes a mess but having her has grounded me and my wife more then we thought could happen. Daycare is easily the most expensive part of it, we spent 8kish every year the last few years on that alone. My wife is a teacher so she has the summers off with her and its great for them. Emmy loves her school (daycare structured around school and having them kinder ready), next year shes pre k at my wife's school. Hoping/praying for another soon, praying for a boy but healthy either way. So more daycare and diapers, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by centex_aggie View Post
                      True. It will result in less financial flexibility and giving up more than you want. But it will make you a better person for it.

Daycare will probably be the biggest expense. My wife stays home with our kids. The peace of mind knowing they are being raised by the person that cares about them most in this world plus no daycare cost is more than worth it to me to give up a second source of income from my wife.

Life's not all about money. You'll realize that sooner or later. The sooner the better.
                      We are currently 10 weeks pregnant (early, I know) with out first kid. I'm 29, she is 26. Biggest thing we are trying to figure out right now is if she'll stay at home/work from home. Currently we both make pretty much the same salary... it is quite the decisions to make! Gonna take some thinking.

Comment

Ohhh...and one more thing...

You can't find enough money in the world to be some little kids HERO!

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy D View Post
                          We are currently 10 weeks pregnant (early, I know) with out first kid. I'm 29, she is 26. Biggest thing we are trying to figure out right now is if she'll stay at home/work from home. Currently we both make pretty much the same salary... it is quite the decisions to make! Gonna take some thinking.
                          Congrats! That's just a decision between you and your wife. Determine the value of having your kids being raised at home by their mom versus her going back to work. My wife and I both highly value that so that's why she stays home. Some don't and that's perfectly fine too. Our thinking is that we just want to spend as much time with them at this age as we can because we know we will painfully miss it some day.

Comment

you're ready trust me. like whats been said just by thinking about it you're way ahead of the game. One thing I will say though..... is start putting away money in a college fund NOW. You are going to think you have plenty of time.... take it from every single parent you'll ever speak to... its not enough time and it flies! Good luck and have fun on the journey

Comment

Best advice i have is dont put it off. It is such a blessing and absolutely the best thing i have done in my life.

You dont need a lot money to be a good daddy.

Comment

Just do it. You will figure it all out, and that is part of the journey. We have a 2 year old, and its been a blast! She was 3 months old when Harvey hit and we had 4' of water in our house. Lost everything in there, but have still been able to bounce back and will be building a house on 3 acres this year. Its been a blast, and worth all the sacrifices you have to make. Once our house is built we'll be trying for a boy!

Edit: After I posted this I realized this is false information. Make sure you get plenty of practicing out of the way first! A baby can basically be a chastity belt!
                                Last edited by breederbuck33; 03-05-2019, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X