Chasing a vibration f250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chasing a vibration f250

My f250 had a vibration in it at 80 mph +-2mph.

I took it to discount and had the tires balanced twice. Didn’t fix it so I got under it and saw the carrier bearing was worn. So I had the u joints and carrier bearing replaced. It was so smooth. I was so happy. Then I got up to 80 and it had the little vibration again. What am I not checking. Bent wheel? Bad tire?

[QUOTE=Rubberdown;16228454]My f250 had a vibration in it at 80 mph +-2mph.

Then I got up to 80 and it had the little vibration again. What am I not checking? [QUOTE]

Your speed ………

Comment

Man it’s a long drive out to the ranch. The truck just seems to go 80. Even if you think oh I’ll drive 70.... eventually you are doing 80.

Comment

Not a professional mechanic. I think i might have stayed at a Holiday Inn somewhere, sometime, someplace [emoji56][emoji56]

Since it's speed related that indicates it's a rotational vibration to me. Check everything that rotates.

You said you replaced carrier bearing. Is the more than one on your truck?

Have you been stuck recently?
        Mud stuck somewhere maybe

Run over anything recently?
        Possible results:
        Bent rim
        Ding in driveshaft
        Knocked off driveshaft balance weight

Do you see any lumps in a tire?
        Bad belt

Is the vibration felt in your steering wheel? That indicates vibration is coming from the front end

Is the vibration felt in your seat? That indicates it's coming from the rear of the vehicle.

All your driveline components tight? Ujoints and straps
        Yoke to the Pinion

Comment

I replaced everything on the driveshaft and had it balanced. Carrier bearings and U joints both.

Don’t see anything wrong on the tires and neither did discount tire. But they rebalanced them all anyway. I need to double check for bent wheels.

It’s not in the steering wheel.

I haven’t run over anything or boogered anything up, but this truck has always had it since I have had it. Just trying to run it down now. I’m always running so I haven’t had a chance to look at it till now.

Comment

Long bed?

Comment

Vib

My best mechanic told me nothing wrong with Ujoint. I told him change it any way and that fixed mine. I know you said you changed all of yours still could be driveshafts out of phase with weights. This is scary but put it on a rack run her up to 80 with cruse control on and look under there You are to the splitting hairs stage anyway. I have mounted a camera under my Samurai to find a vibration, if you dont want to get under it.... GL

Comment

Is the truck lifted or has the drive shaft been removed recently?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idk3BVDVHq4"]Driveshaft Angle and Phasing - YouTube[/ame]
                Last edited by Tbar; 05-21-2022, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Try another tire shop.

Comment

It will vibrate if its a transmission tail shaft but you would also have some fluid leakage. I agree it is in some rotational part. Some parts to check:
                    Warped brake rotor
                    drive shaft out of balance/phase
                    tire out of round

Even if tires are balanced an out of round tire will roar at some speed even though it may be balanced.
                    Last edited by muzzlebrake; 05-21-2022, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Good luck. I had a bad vibration in a new 2016 for 11 months before I was smart enough to fix the problem.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Comment

Tires....

Comment

Last time this happened to me was a bad tire

Comment

Does it vibrate at 40mph plus 1 or 2 like it does at 80 plus 1 or 2?

Comment

Me being a retired former Chevy dealer and at 80 MPH it could be more than a few things causing the problem. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X