Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

East Texas quail, when and where did you last see any?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas quail, when and where did you last see any?

It’s been years and years. For me it was early 90s at my deer lease in red river county and off of the sulphur river in hunt county.

I have quail on our lease in Red River county right now. We’ve seen several coveys and even some chicks once. Not many, but we’ve got some. We discourage our hunters from messing with them, would love to see the population grow.

Comment

I’m probably no help because my last time goes waaay back. My father grew up in Grapeland and we visited a lot in the late 60’s through the the mid 70’s - because of his business my grandfather knew just about every landowner in Houston County. When we got to town during the season dad (avid quail hunter) would start calling around. He would always find a few landowners who would tell him where they’d seen a covey or two hanging around and invite us out. Some of my best hunting memories - my dad, our Brittany and my single shot 20 gauge

Comment

I saw one Bob white on the side of a county road near Clayton around 2008. I have no way of knowing if he was wild or released. I heard some whistling near Henderson one morning in the mid nineties. Same deal, don’t know if they were wild. Other than those, it was in the early to mid seventies when we still hunted them here.

Comment

Nacogdoches

Comment

My dad and grandad guided quail and woodcock hunters in smith and van zandt county in the 70’s and 80’s. I killed some in 88 but it wasn’t long after that the quail numbers tanked. According to my old man house cats, horse farms and coastal Bermuda grass were the main culprits of the decline in numbers.

Comment

My land hasn't been sprayed with any kind of pesticide in the last 40 years but the Bobwhite quail have gone darn near extent. This is in Mills county. Habitat is the same. Maybe even better except for this drought. My Dad trained bird dogs for people back in the late 70's to early 80's. He would kill a few birds for the dogs to fetch. My have times changed.

Comment

Newton County, 90s.

You would think the TPWD would try reestablish Quail before bear and rattlesnakes….. just a thought

Comment

Freestone County outside of Oakwood in the mid 80's. Had several coveys in the fields behind our house.

Comment

Sabine County - early 2000’s there was covey on my grandpa’s land that we had watched for years

Comment

Well, I would have to go way back. I graduated HS in 79. I remember getting off the school bus, grabbing my shotgun, and turning one dog out. Take off across the neighbors pasture and hit another pasture that didn’t have any cows on it. Then just go from pasture to pasture. Be back home in time for dad to get home from work and I would be cleaning birds. He would ask how many I killed. I say 6. Then he ask how many coveys I found. I say 5.
                      Then after a couple years after I graduated, I worked on pipelines. Ended up helping a welder that lived right up the road. We worked on one right outside of Mount Enterprise. There were some big cut overs around there. I would hunt those on the weekends and found several coveys there. That was the early 80’s.
                      Haven’t seen or heard a quail since then.

Comment

I've heard it's something about eye mites. No clue if true or not.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                          Well, I would have to go way back. I graduated HS in 79. I remember getting off the school bus, grabbing my shotgun, and turning one dog out. Take off across the neighbors pasture and hit another pasture that didn’t have any cows on it. Then just go from pasture to pasture. Be back home in time for dad to get home from work and I would be cleaning birds. He would ask how many I killed. I say 6. Then he ask how many coveys I found. I say 5.
                          Then after a couple years after I graduated, I worked on pipelines. Ended up helping a welder that lived right up the road. We worked on one right outside of Mount Enterprise. There were some big cut overs around there. I would hunt those on the weekends and found several coveys there. That was the early 80’s.
                          Haven’t seen or heard a quail since then.
                          Oh, this was in Panola county and Rusk county.
                          I also remember dad taking me and we hunted a lot of places in Shelby county, between Joaquin and Paxton. Back then all the pastures were grown up because nobody ran cattle.

Comment

See a couple coveys a year, that's it! Nothing like the past(Concho County).

Comment

Panola County - in the Clayton area. Heard them paired up pretty good this time last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X