Mini split A/C with heat pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have experience with mini split systems? If so, I’m building a 2 bedroom 750sq ft cabin. With an 18x25 kitchen/ living area. Will I need a unit in each room? Bedrooms and living area. Any suggestions and brand of mini splits would be much appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In for the info, I have the same question about how many heads, btus, etc. Soon doing a 900 sq foot space in a 40x60 steel building, office, living area, bathroom, 2 closets. I keep seeing pretty good video review/installs about Cooper & Hunter mini splits.

Comment

I looked in to them and from what I was told is they are high maintenance.

Hard to beat a good window unit that you can buy at any Wal-Mart and replace for a couple hundred bucks.

Comment

I have three in two barn/cabin buildings. There's a couple of threads on here all about mini-splits. I have the Mr. Cools and loved them the first year. Then the problems started on each one. There are some cheaper made-in-Mexico brands to stay away from unless you are considering them as disposable (run til they quit and replace.)

Comment

I’m looking at the Mitsubishi’s

Comment

I installed a pioneer 1 ton last August on the tongue of my enclosed trailer. It was easy install just need the gauges and a vac pump ($200 in tools). Unit was around $800 shippped. Urging and flailing the line set might make it worth it to call a pro if you don’t like it.

The thing is whisper quiet and will heat down to -17 F. The AC will freeze me out- trailer is a 7x16’ with 7’ ceiling. I could have gone .75 ton but it was nearly the same price. I went with 115v system. I can run it in a 2kw generator if I wanted.

Comment

We put a Toshiba in my grandma's cabin a few years ago. It's been great so far. Really impressed with that little thing. We bought it off ebay.

Comment

I put in a Boreal mini split and “knock on wood” no problems. It’s quite and cools and heats with a heat pump.

Comment

Blue ridge is a good unit

Comment

Originally posted by bcmuzzy View Post
                    I’m looking at the Mitsubishi’s

This or a Daikin..
                    I had a Daikin one in my lake cabin...
                    During the summer, I set it as low as it would go...
                    And it ran non-stop trouble free...Would freeze you out, at least the
                    downstairs. I think there's a place in Azle, that sells Daikin..

Comment

Originally posted by SharpEnd View Post
                      In for the info, I have the same question about how many heads, btus, etc. Soon doing a 900 sq foot space in a 40x60 steel building, office, living area, bathroom, 2 closets. I keep seeing pretty good video review/installs about Cooper & Hunter mini splits.

I ran Cooper and hunter because it was cheaper and had tons of problems…

3 control boards, 1 head and and 1 pump and I called it quits after 6 months.

Finally broke down and had a 2 ton traditional system put in and we love it…

All my research said the problem was I went cheap. Daikin or Mitsubishi are the only way I will ever do one again

Comment

Mitsubishi is the best. It was cool and heat that size area

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post
                          I ran Cooper and hunter because it was cheaper and had tons of problems…

3 control boards, 1 head and and 1 pump and I called it quits after 6 months.

Finally broke down and had a 2 ton traditional system put in and we love it…

All my research said the problem was I went cheap. Daikin or Mitsubishi are the only way I will ever do one again
                          Good info. The good reviews at places like youtube are probably paid/sponsored etc., and/or just short-term experience right after install.

Comment

I've had a Gree unit installed in my reloading room for about 6 years now. Not a single issue. I did the install but paid an hvac tech to pull the vacuum and release the refrigerant. If it breaks and parts weren't available I'd just buy another one and replace it.

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Im in the similar position as above. 750sq ft 2 bedroom/living and kitchen apartment in a 30x50 shop. I think im going conventional and heres my reasoning.
                              I have a 24K Lennox mini in my 24X30 shop at home and while it heats/cools great, the filter system has clogged up twice in 6 years, causing water to leak out down my shop wall. Not an issue in the shop, would be on a sheetrock wall. Also, from the HVAC guys i have talked to, if something goes wrong with a mini, its often not worth the cost of repair.
                              With a conventional, the apartment aloe was too small of an area, and so would actually be ducted to the apartment and the garage portion of the building so heating/cooling the entire thing. With a conventional, you can replace most parts if they go bad.
                              Cost difference wasnt that much different. 3 zone mini was going to be over 5k installed, a conventional 7k. 2k over the next 20years isnt a big deal really so i believe thats the route ill be going

Comment

Working...
                              X