Surgery and Bow Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surgery and Bow Hunting

I am at a point where I can no longer draw a bow. It is tough. Kind of like your HS girlfriend not going to prom with you. I've had 2 doctors give advice on step next. Step next is surgery on my right arm. I've battled with elbow pain for many years. I have shrugged it off as tennis elbow. Even though tennis courts don't allow fat people to play, and I am way too cool for those little shorts. I had tennis elbow. Come to find out the pain I have put off for 10 plus years, is actually a torn tendon in my elbow. That now has become arthritic and a bigger issue than Ibuprofen can handle. Since it has affected my fishing and bow hunting. I am concerned.... Guys we shouldn't be so stubborn. So, doctors say I will have to cut back on bow hunting, nightly target practice and moon pies. Not sure what the moon pies have to do with it but ok...

With all that said. I will have to set my compound down. (I will not give up fishing!!) I am in the market for a crossbow. If I can draw it back... any suggestions? My purchase will be through Fishndude. So keep his inventory in mind. Lol. Getting old is not for the weak!!

I feel you. Good luck to you.

Comment

We’re gonna put you on a table on the 14th on get you in a Chinese Pretzel hold and work all of your kinks out. You’ll be a new man I promise.

Comment

I recommend a good starter compound first to see if you like it...

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
          We’re gonna put you on a table on the 14th on get you in a Chinese Pretzel hold and work all of your kinks out. You’ll be a new man I promise.
          Not with the crowd that is showing up!! Bucknaked has me worried. No pretzel holds with him!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            I recommend a good starter compound first to see if you like it...

Have you fired this one in particular?

Comment

I would go with a crossbow that you like and can afford you can add a crank to it so you do not have to pull it back.

Comment

Originally posted by big lee View Post
                not with the crowd that is showing up!! Bucknaked has me worried. No pretzel holds with him!
                lmao

Comment

After tearing up my shoulder, I bought a Centerpoint Sniper. I’m very happy with the speed and accuracy of it.
                  On a positive note though, ten months after surgery to put my shoulder back together, I’m starting to draw my recurve again. It’s not completely there yet but I’m sure it’ll get there.

Comment

Make sure you get one with a crank and you will be ok.

Comment

Do you reel with your bad arm? If not, I would thing fishing would be harder on your elbow than shooting the bow. Unless you are fishing with bait.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                        Do you reel with your bad arm? If not, I would thing fishing would be harder on your elbow than shooting the bow. Unless you are fishing with bait.
                        Reeling doesn't bug it near as much as casting. I've had to "Learn" a new casting method. Biggest issue is extending my arm straight is a task. Drawing the bow doesn't bother much until I anchor. It is the strangest feeling to describe. It has not affected my ice cream scooping. So not all hope is lost.

Comment

Bought one for the kids. I would get one with a built in crank. I've dealt with Fishin Dude once at CC, and I'd trust his advice. Kyle has always been good too. Don't know the others guys there.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by cram369; 05-05-2022, 01:45 PM.

Comment

I’ve had the surgery you’re needing and it’s not that bad. Get it done in May and you could probably be hunting in October.

Comment

What ever you do don't give up the moon pies you will go through bad withdrawal

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X