Wyoming - corner crossing trespass case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wyoming - corner crossing trespass case

Interesting case - hunters were found not guilty.

It took fewer than two hours for the panel to acquit Missouri public-land hunters of violating Eshelman’s Elk Mountain Ranch.

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
    Interesting case - hunters were found not guilty.

https://wyofile.com/jury-finds-four-...y-of-trespass/
    That ruling opened up a bunch of public land it looks like....

Comment

Devil's advocate: what if the land owner erected a fence through the center point connecting his two properties?

Comment

He had put up fence posts with a chain in between, they are gone now. The public land enclosures act prohibits limiting access to public lands but not sure if it applies here. Some have raised that law and that may be why the chain is gone now.
        The hunters used a ladder to cross over the corner.

Civil case is still pending.

Comment

I would be willing to bet this case doesn’t really do anything as far as corner crossing goes. There will still be cases prosecuting people trying to corner cross. Just my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
            I would be willing to bet this case doesn’t really do anything as far as corner crossing goes. There will still be cases prosecuting people trying to corner cross. Just my guess.
            Wouldn't this case, as a precedent, prevent some of that?

Comment

I think you’re probably right !

Comment

This is my understanding from following along with the case.

Comment

It will be interesting how many folks cross corners this year. The state needs to give a definitive ruling on if it’s legal or not.

Comment

Originally posted by popeandyoung151 View Post
                    It will be interesting how many folks cross corners this year. The state needs to give a definitive ruling on if it’s legal or not.
                    This. Hopefully the legislature will address it and make a ruling once and for all. As it is right now, even though it's probably doable, I wouldn't even think about it because I just don't like any kind of trouble or drama when I'm hunting.

Comment

So the corners touch on private property and there is public property on the two other side? Like a black and red checker board?

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                        So the corners touch on private property and there is public property on the two other side? Like a black and red checker board?
                        yes

Comment

State needs to pass a law and install 5 or 6ft high metal stairs over the fence corners for walk-in hunting access. Would be an easy fix

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                            State needs to pass a law and install 5 or 6ft high metal stairs over the fence corners for walk-in hunting access. Would be an easy fix
                            Why cant the state buy a 4 foot wide path under immenent domain? It would only be a few square feet of land.

Comment

“Like a king” lol, morons. That’s a statement contrived for weak minded fools, and they found 6.

In the end, this will hurt public access, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X