Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting cabinet doors and old wood doors

Painting cabinet doors and old wood doors

For a older house that has the Staind kitchen cabinets and doors throughout the house, can you just prime them and paint them or do you have to sand them down?

You need to sand the heck out of them. I’d then recommend sanding sealer, prime and paint.

Comment

I would also use oil based paint. We were talked out of it and used some kind of cabinet paint that was supposed to be just as good and get just as hard. A year later and it hasn’t held up nearly as well as we would like.

And yes, sanding is a must. It felt like our project was 90% sanding, 10% painting.

We have a large kitchen. Something like 40 doors and drawers. Next time I’ll hire it done or have them refaced instead.

Comment

Try topic coating with polyurethane, should really help on durability.

Originally posted by BigCountry101 View Post
        I would also use oil based paint. We were talked out of it and used some kind of cabinet paint that was supposed to be just as good and get just as hard. A year later and it hasn’t held up nearly as well as we would like.

And yes, sanding is a must. It felt like our project was 90% sanding, 10% painting.

We have a large kitchen. Something like 40 doors and drawers. Next time I’ll hire it done or have them refaced instead.

Comment

I did ours in one of our Airbnbs. Refacing was not in the budget so we painted and looks decent. Admittedly, didn't do as much prep work as the job called for. Very tedious and would hire out if I ever tried it again.

Comment

I have been following Woodworking with Wes on YouTube and I am about the work on the cabinets in my bathroom. He does something called ceruse where he takes a wire brush rather than a sander to remove the old stain. The pro of a wire brush is it opens up the pours in the grain so that if you are using a sprayer, it allows the grain to really stand out. This is important if doing a ceruse finish.

Comment

I been watching paint life on YouTube. Guy out of Idaho.

Comment

Clean thoughrly with tsp or something similiar, prime with proper primer, and paint with quality paint.

Sand between coats, clean again, paint.

Primers have come such a long way, you really do not sand as much as you’d think.

Comment

I would spray them if possible also.

Comment

We did our kitchen cabinets in our old house. Tedious and time consuming, but dang they looked good after.

I removed all doors(gotta number them to keep everything going back where it came from), used liquid sander and a green scrub pad and went to work. Degrease, hit with liquid sander, clean/degrease again, liquid sand and another really good clean. Primed them, then used a combination of rollers and bushes to paint. Getting a smooth finish is the hardest part. If I did it again I’d invest in a way to spray them. Even the Wagner flexio sprayer thing I had at one point probably would have done good. Quality paint was a must.

Comment

Degrease if needed then Light sand with sanding sponges is all that’s needed then spray a coat of oil based primer, after primer drys( usually next day) light sand and first coat of paint can be sprayed once dry second coat and 3rd coat if needed based on color or situation, if you have any question let me know we paint lots of cabinets

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                        You need to sand the heck out of them. I’d then recommend sanding sealer, prime and paint.
                        This... If ya want them to look nice. And stay that way..
                        There ain't much, in the way of a "short cut". Just do it right
                        the first time.

Comment

We just used milk paint. Cleaned them and then painted. Turned out good enough for me. I had it in a thread somewhere.

Last edited by RiverRat1; 04-30-2022, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X