Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luckiest or best shots you've ever made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luckiest shot I ever made on a WT he was 47 yards through a little brush, I was down in the creek and he was above me in the field, knowing he would bolt I aimed about 6" in front of him and low, when I released I watched him run right into my arrow, heart shot him

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

Comment

Years ago I shot a ground squirrel on the run with a 10/22. Heard a loud pop and went out to inspect it. Its head was completely gone.

I haven't made any shots that were much over 400 yards. A few in the 360'ish yard range on coyotes and 1 just over 400 yards. I've pulled off some decent offhand shots and shots on running or moving coyotes over the years. Anything over 300 yards was pure luck. I'm not a good long range shooter really. I've killed some prairie dogs that were a ways out there but I was shooting from a pretty solid rest so......

Comment

When I was about 16 I shot a coyote right between the eyes with a 20ga slug at about 100yds. I also shot a trotting coyote at 72yds with a bow one year. Both had goods amounts of luck to them.

Comment

Shot 3 dove(flying) with one shot from my 20 ga.

Dropped a grackle out of the air with a pellet gun when I was kid

Had witnesses on both times as well.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
            I made back to back shots on pigs at ~705 and 810 yds, dropping them both. There were three folks there with me who witnessed it, I think I was in as much awe as they were. I don’t think I could pull that off again.
            Sure you could. Heck if you can do it once surely you could pull it off twice.

I wouldn't even begin to know how to kick dirt up at their feet at that distance. That's a long ways.

Comment

We were tank jumping ducks when I was in college (actually pond jumping since it was in Oklahoma��) there was a big group of mallards on a shallow slew in the open with no way to sneak up on them. I had a slug in my bag for some reason and I decided to shoot it amongst them hoping it would scare them over to another nearby pond that had a high dam. I shot from over 100 yards away. They flushed except for one - that slug hit a drake square in the head!

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                We were tank jumping ducks when I was in college (actually pond jumping since it was in Oklahoma��) there was a big group of mallards on a shallow slew in the open with no way to sneak up on them. I had a slug in my bag for some reason and I decided to shoot it amongst them hoping it would scare them over to another nearby pond that had a high dam. I shot from over 100 yards away. They flushed except for one - that slug hit a drake square in the head?
                Oh man!LOL Long bombed him! That's wild.

But yes you are correct. Tanks are what you fill up for cows and horses.

Comment

I invited a friend of mine to dove hunt. Was a place to go, but never really shot many doves. He had just bought a new high dollar shotgun and was saying how smooth it shot. I’ve had a cheap Winchester I bought at Walmart 30 years ago that I like to shoot. He was razzing me some.
                  During a lull in action. I walked over to him to offer a cold one. I had shot a few doves. He missed everything he shot at. After a few minutes I was walking back to my spot, beer in one hand and shotgun in the other. A dove flew over and he missed three times. I brought my shotgun up to my shoulder one handed and dropped the dove with one shot. Didn’t spill a drop.
                  He was ready to leave just to shut me up.

Comment

Where is that post where the dude shoots the doe in the head from like 1500 yards!?

Comment

Luck?
                      Heck man all my shots are pure skill.

In all seriousness.
                      I generally try to avoid a sketchy shot on game.
                      I do occasionally pull a two fer on hogs though. Actually managed a double head shot this season with my rifle that took a little bit of timing.

Couple of Years ago I jumped some swine feeding in a cattle pen. Shot first one in her tracks and after that the race was on. A few hauled out across a very wide open pasture and I started lobbing shots off, about 150 yards out I cartwheeled a decent sized sow. Closer inspection revealed a running eyeball shot…couldn’t manage that again if I tried. And I know it. Got three total pigs outta that episode.
                      Last edited by SwampBuck; 12-24-2021, 04:29 PM.

Comment

This is a buck I killed 30 years ago on the Brazos river bottom. It was the worst shot I have ever made on a deer but he only went 30 yards and fell over graveyard dead. He was chasing a doe around the tree I was in and wouldn’t stop. After the third time around I let one fly at 25 yards and he spun 180 on me. I thought I missed until he stopped and started wobbling. Come to find out when he spun my arrow went right between his back legs severing his Femoral Artery. He expired in about 30 seconds.
                        Attached Files

Comment

28 yard archery shot on bull elk

Hit aorta just above lung's, went 8 yards and down. Could not believe it. It got up, one step, and went down and never moved again.

Comment

When I was about 12 I shot at a running coyote at 100 yards and rolled him. 2nd was a turkey I spooked and shot mid air dropping him with my 12ga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In CO. hunting mule deer and five of us are in a Super Cab Ford pickup going down a ranch road to meet another guide and two hunters. A coyote busts out across the gravel road and the guide slams on the brakes and yells “kill that SOB”. I’m riding shotgun so I jump out as soon as the truck stops sliding and point my Remington 700 in 7mm between the door and cab. As soon as the gun hit my shoulder the crosshairs were on his nose, and I slapped the trigger. He was running on solid rock in the spillway of a pond and he went down immediately and spun several times because he was running as fast as a coyote can run. Talk about luck !

My luckiest shot with a bow was at First Point. We were hunting hogs and javis and I was sitting next to a corned road when I heard a noise straight in front of me and directly a hog snout and face came out of the brush. She pulled her head back and I could hear them paralleling the road. At that particular time in my life I had been having retina problems in my right eye but didn’t actually know it yet, I just knew I couldn’t see well. My left eye was fine and was trying to become my dominate eye, so if I didn’t squint or close my left eye my arrows would fly left. Ok, so the sow comes out, I range her at 45 yards, draw, steady, then squeeze the release. I can see the arrow is flying left and I’m about to cuss myself for not squinting when the sow takes a quick step forward and the arrow goes straight through her heart ! Now, I had already killed a 6’ or more rattler that day and I was not anxious to follow that hog into that brush. Luckily for me, (again), she fell in a drain just before the brush got super thick.

There are more that I can’t think of I’m sure but those will do for now.

Comment

Talking A LOT of trash one afternoon I bet another guy “he couldn’t hit that coot swimming out there”… and he passed the bet back. I said if I do you gotta swim and go get my arrow and the coot…

I ranged… and ranged. Kept getting the water reading. FINALLY I got a range!!! 78 yards… swimming. I did t tell him this but I had an arrow I found nocked with a mechanical broadhead with bent blades on it. Lol. I have no idea what that arrow weight… and 2 fletch left

The second the arrow left the rest I thought “I got him!”…… stoned him dead as a rock! Never moved again. Lol. I just sat back in my chair like no big deal and said go get my bird. Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X