Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you keep your Blackstone from rusting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WD-40 [emoji16]

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      using it often will keep it from rusting
      This. We've had one for years, used it often at first then slacked off from it for awhile. It was seasoned but if its overheats, it will disappear. Somehow or another it rusted up again in the middle, tried to season it again but didn't work. We eventually just bought another griddle top for it, seasoned it but again, we don't use it enough to keep it from rusting. This year we just got rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
        I have the same issue. It is covered under my patio but still rusts. I have seasoned, re-seasoned, cooked a bunch on it but still spots of rust. I am wondering if it is just the fact that it is outside and humid in Houston or am I just a crappy seasoner? My brother in law has one that is 15 plus years old and it is perfect. But he keeps it inside his barndo and its much drier in Abilene than Houston..
        Same here. Frustrating. It is in my garage.

Sucks

Comment

I use mine heavy for about 6 months then off and on the next 6.

One thing I have learned is if you use the vinyl cover, it tends to rust more. I got tired of cleaning it so I built a top out of 3/4 plywood and 2x4s. Fits snug on the griddle and when I take it off after months of no use, it is heat and cook.

The top fits perfectly on a trashcan so I got a table out of the deal too.

Comment

Originally posted by TMC50 View Post

One thing I have learned is if you use the vinyl cover, it tends to rust more. I got tired of cleaning it so I built a top out of 3/4 plywood and 2x4s. Fits snug on the griddle and when I take it off after months of no use, it is heat and cook.

Do you store it outside?

Comment

I used coconut oil and evidently that didn't work - followed directions to a T. I get a water misting bottle/scraper and clean immediately after use and "burn in" a layer of oil before putting it up (still rusts.) think I need to start over...

Comment

Today’s alloys in the metal are of a cheaper grade......not the same griddle it was 10 years ago
                It will rust

Comment

I ordered the cleaning bricks.

Comment

I have one I'm gonna part with if anyone is interested. I've managed to keep it fairly well-seasoned by cleaning with ice and a scraper after use. Then oil, heat slowly, let cool, cover, store.

I just end up using my disc more often than not.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                      I have the same issue. It is covered under my patio but still rusts. I have seasoned, re-seasoned, cooked a bunch on it but still spots of rust. I am wondering if it is just the fact that it is outside and humid in Houston or am I just a crappy seasoner? My brother in law has one that is 15 plus years old and it is perfect. But he keeps it inside his barndo and its much drier in Abilene than Houston..
                      We have high humidity in my part of east Tx. also and I deal with the rust year round myself. The humidity is the problem for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                        Do you store it outside?
                        It is on the north side of my back porch at the edge of the roof. When it rains, it can get wet but since I put the wooden cover on it, I have had zero issues besides the occasional bug who likes the dry.

Comment

I haven't come up with a solution. Its carbon steel, so it will not season like cast iron. I resort to cleaning before I use it. Not fun and it keeps me from using it.

Comment

Originally posted by TMC50 View Post

I think there is something to this. We have one we leave under the party porch at deer camp for months at a time under a plywood/ 2X2 cover, and never have trouble with rust. When we're done cooking we use water to deglaze the chunks loose, scrape it, dry it, oil it till smoking, and cut it off.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                              False statement. Its recommended by lots of folks

https://blackstoneproducts.com/blogs...complete-guide
                              Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                              OO has one of the highest smoke points. EVOO can be fairly low.
                              EVOO's smoke point is 350 degrees. I wouldn't use it even if that is what blackstone recommends.

Comment

Clean it, season it properly, light coat of oil before storing, store cook top in garage

Comment

Working...
                                X