X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
    I see more Fords broke down on the side of the road. Just an observation
    Probably 6.0's....had one, mine sucked.
    My 6.7 just turned 390k and finally had to replace the turbo. Other than that just the normal maintenance and wear n tear items. It's been the best truck I've ever owned. Been thru all the big 3.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD View Post
      In the fleet of 1100 vehicles that I manage we have seen a huge increase in the the issues with the after treatment on the diesel trucks. Mainly (admittedly) from either lack of driving or high idle times. The DPFs are bad about getting dirty real quick if the vehicle is not driven at hwy speeds to properly go through a regen mode. A lot of the school districts have started buying gas buses instead of diesel buses due to the high fuel, DEF, and DPF cleaning and replacement cost according the FleetSolutions magazine articles. You could opt for the 7.3 Ford with proper gearing or the 6.6 GM gas motors, personally I went with the 7.3 Ford gasser. Ford built that motor as a diesel replacement for the commercial market that wanted to get away from the diesel costs. That motor is a beast and is over-built and under-engineered, meaning it does not have all the Active Fuel Management, and Displacement on Demand built in that will go south on you. GMs motor has a high pressure fuel pump that rides on the camshaft, in other applications I have seen that same type of system cause serious internal engine failure, not something I wanted to possibly have to deal with.
      You won't get the mpg with a gas that a diesel gets, but you will only be down about 2-4 mpg one from the other buy everyone I have talked to, (I'm talking real world mpg, not some blow smoke mpg). What really matters is what you want and like to drive, and what feels good to you when you're driving it.
      Don't get me wrong, at times I really miss my diesel, but it was a 2004 Chevy 1 ton, with no emissions on it, the newer diesels are not the same critter, my gasser pulls what I have without any issues and I don't have to worry about DEF and DPF issues.
      This is just my honest opinion and my 0.2 for what it is worth.
      I don't really need the diesel anymore for what I do but I sure like having it just in case. I plan to drive this one until it suffers a break down that cost more than it's worth to repair. Then I may go gas as well.

Comment

Iā€™m a Ram fan myself and have never had a major issue with them over the years, Iā€™m going to sell my wifeā€™s 2018 Ram 2500 Longhorn crew cab with 24,000 miles on it pretty soon if thatā€™s of interest. Itā€™s never pulled anything bigger than a 14ā€™ trailer with a side by side on it and itā€™s lived most of its life sitting inside a shop. She has a new one ordered and when it comes in we will sell this one.

I bought 2 new Fordā€™s in 2019 and they spent so much time in the shop for various issues I gave up on them and went back to all Ramā€™s, Iā€™m sure their all decent trucks but I donā€™t have time for stupid stuff causing non stop issues and trips to the shop.

Personally weā€™ve owned 19 new Rams with diesels since 2010 and other than minor issues theyā€™ve been outstanding trucks and most of them regularly pull 25,000 plus loads. I learned my lesson and Iā€™m sticking with Ramā€™s and the Cummins set ups,

Comment

Second gen dodge 12 valve. Pay someone to restore to new and rebuild engine.
          Spend about the same as a newer truck in total and have no emissions.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrex750 View Post
            We have a 2018 ram 2500 and i pull my 40ft 5th wheel with it and the trans temp never gets over 170. It weighs 12,000 lbs
            same here....168 deg but mine is 43' and weighs $17K empty

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
              Here's an observation for ya. Why does every dodge I see have those mirrors in tow mode taking up 2 lanes whether pulling a trailer or not? I dont see Ford's or Chevy's doing this. Is the Dodge such a dog that they think they must still be pulling something?

Haters gonna hateā€¦

Comment

I've had both a duramax and a cummins. My 2016 Duramax was a great truck, put 235,000 mile on it in 3 years and only had to replace the alternators 2 times and delete it after the DEF system went out with 215,000 miles on it. Traded it in and got my current 2019 Ram 2500 Laramie Sport, interior wise its better than the chevy and my brother's Platinum, pulls better stock than my deleted duramax did, but doesn't ride quite as smooth as my duramax did.

My dad has a 2021 3500 duramax dually that he likes alot, and it tows great, doesn't squat as much as his 2020 F350 Dually did.

My brother has a 2020 F350 Platinum Dually that he like alot also, pulls well, but its been broken into like 3 times in a year so that hard to deal with.

Cousins Husband has a 2021 3500 SRW Denali that he likes alot, tows good and rides good, comfy seats also.

I'd say go drive all 3 and see which one you like the best, they're all great trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD View Post
                  In the fleet of 1100 vehicles that I manage we have seen a huge increase in the the issues with the after treatment on the diesel trucks. Mainly (admittedly) from either lack of driving or high idle times. The DPFs are bad about getting dirty real quick if the vehicle is not driven at hwy speeds to properly go through a regen mode. A lot of the school districts have started buying gas buses instead of diesel buses due to the high fuel, DEF, and DPF cleaning and replacement cost according the FleetSolutions magazine articles. You could opt for the 7.3 Ford with proper gearing or the 6.6 GM gas motors, personally I went with the 7.3 Ford gasser. Ford built that motor as a diesel replacement for the commercial market that wanted to get away from the diesel costs. That motor is a beast and is over-built and under-engineered, meaning it does not have all the Active Fuel Management, and Displacement on Demand built in that will go south on you. GMs motor has a high pressure fuel pump that rides on the camshaft, in other applications I have seen that same type of system cause serious internal engine failure, not something I wanted to possibly have to deal with.
                  You won't get the mpg with a gas that a diesel gets, but you will only be down about 2-4 mpg one from the other buy everyone I have talked to, (I'm talking real world mpg, not some blow smoke mpg). What really matters is what you want and like to drive, and what feels good to you when you're driving it.
                  Don't get me wrong, at times I really miss my diesel, but it was a 2004 Chevy 1 ton, with no emissions on it, the newer diesels are not the same critter, my gasser pulls what I have without any issues and I don't have to worry about DEF and DPF issues.
                  This is just my honest opinion and my 0.2 for what it is worth.
                  this is exactly why I keep coming back to Gas in my mind. I start to talk myself into going with a Diesel, then all that you posted comes back to me and makes me lean toward a gasser. I really like the Ram 2500 with the hemi. Think it is a 6.4l Gas millage is important, but not as much as not having a huge emissions bill at the dealer, or going into some kind of limp mode pulling a trailer somewhere. I also despise the need for DEF fuel. Why WHY>>>> Just an added expense to add to your monthly bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
                    this is exactly why I keep coming back to Gas in my mind. I start to talk myself into going with a Diesel, then all that you posted comes back to me and makes me lean toward a gasser. I really like the Ram 2500 with the hemi. Think it is a 6.4l Gas millage is important, but not as much as not having a huge emissions bill at the dealer, or going into some kind of limp mode pulling a trailer somewhere. I also despise the need for DEF fuel. Why WHY>>>> Just an added expense to add to your monthly bill.
                    As far as emissions go, if you're pulling and running on the highway it should be a problem. I would idle mine for 12 hours straight then drive it for 3 hours at 85-90 MPH to clean it out, it finally just gave out after 215,000 miles and I took it to a shop and 1500 later I was back on the road with no worries, with a truck that ran much better.

But I agree DEF does suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
                      Haters gonna hateā€¦
                      I know it sounds that way but it really was a serious question (final comment aside). Why do so many of these trucks drive with those mirrors extended all the way out? Do they get stuck there or is it just the "cool" thing to do?

Last edited by rolylane6; 01-24-2022, 11:43 AM.

Comment

I know it sounds that way but it really was a serious question (final comment aside). Why do so many of these trucks drive with those mirrors extended all the way out? Do they get stuck there or is it just the "cool" thing to do?

Mine are manual. If I forget to flip them back down before I'm back on the road, there gonna stay that way until I get home.

They are hard to see out of flipped up.....imho

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                          Mine are manual. If I forget to flip them back down before I'm back on the road, there gonna stay that way until I get home.

They are hard to see out of flipped up.....imho
                          Do they not extend as well as flip? The ones I'm talking about seem to be sticking way, way out there.
                          And what you're saying makes sense. I didn't think about them being manual and not being able to retract from inside the truck.

Last edited by rolylane6; 01-24-2022, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Do they not extend as well as flip? The ones I'm talking about seem to be sticking way, way out there.

Not the newer ones but you can buy extensions. BTW I have never found the need to flip my mirrors up.

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
                              Not the newer ones but you can buy extensions. BTW I have never found the need to flip my mirrors up.
                              Thanks, and OP, sorry for the derail...back to regularly scheduled programming.

Comment

And what you're saying makes sense. I didn't think about them being manual and not being able to retract from inside the truck.

On mine....when you flip them up, they roll outward.....so they are extending out more

Comment

Working...
                                X