No announcement yet.

I took my grandad hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South zone dove opener last year and grandpas bolt .410 I inherited [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I have my grandfathers 257 weatherby, he and I used to hunt together on opening morning when I was 12-13. Most memorable part was on cold mornings he gave me some Boone’s Farm. I woke up quick.

Comment

Great memories. Pure greatness

Comment

When my FIL passed a couple years ago I was given a few of his guns. He was an outdoorsman and all around good guy. My next trip out to the lease I grabbed his Rem 30.06 and an old box of Corelokts. I wasn't sure how well it was sighted in but didn't really care. I figured I would find a target out there and see. I arrived at the lease and was headed to camp to unload the UTV. Before making it to camp I ran into a good sized group of hogs. I stepped out of the truck and loaded the gun thinking they would be gone before I finished, but they stuck around. I lined one up and let it rip sending them scattering in all directions. The 1st one dropped and I proceeded to hit 3 more on the run as they left. I heard a click on the 5th hog due to only loading 4 shells. I have never in my life taken 4 hogs out of a group on my own much less 3 on the run and doubt I ever will again. I just looked up and said "Thanks for the help Bill". I guess that old gun was on that day.

Comment

I used to have my Grandy’s old field jacket but it finally fell apart. I wish I still had it. I also have his sea bag from WWII. My son shot a buck with my Grandy’s REM 742 this year. That would be his great grandpas gun. He also shot a doe with his Grandy’s (my dad’s) bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That is awesome

Comment

I hunted with him for years until cancer took him. Hunted all over the state when I was younger with him and my dad. My aunt made sure all of his guns and equipment disappeared after he died. I doubt I’ll ever see anything of his again, but I’ll hunt with him someday. Those who still have theirs, cherish those hunts. They end too soon, trust us who know from experience.

Comment

I have old hunting clothes of my grandfather and my dad. Both have passed away. I have worn them in the woods. I’ve also hunted with their guns. It makes me feel like part of them is still with me.

Comment

My grandfather bought me my Oklahoma lifetime hunting license before he passed and he’s with me every time I hunt In Oklahoma. Every tag I fill I send him a thanks up in heaven, its funny we don’t put much thought into the little things when we’re young but as time passes it’s the little things that make you smile when nobody’s around.

Comment

I take my Dad's old Hunting Knife with me on EVERY hunting trip I make. It has been in the woods from South Texas to Eastern Kansas to Central Michigan. I am sure he is shaking his head in disbelief when I was in the woods in -15* weather in Michigan..

Comment

My granddad passed away long before I was born. I ended up with his L.C. Smith double barrel (side by side) 12 guage. When hunting at various times through the years I would take it with me. He bought it in South Carolina and it was used to help feed his family. It will be handed down to my grandsons with the stories that I was told about it.
                        On another note, my dad never hunted out of state. The one time he tried and planned on a Colorado deer hunt, his employer, Southwestern Bell went on strike several weeks before his trip. He couldn't go. My mother purchased him a really nice knife about 6 months before this happened, to take with him and it stayed in his closet in Texas. My dad never tried to go on another out of state hunt after that and passed away, wishing he had. Every chance I get to hunt outside Texas, I always take that knife along. The knife will get handed down as well.

Comment

I also got into duck hunting with my grandfathers REM 1100 12ga. I never had the chance to hunt with him but I know he’d be happy to know I had many a memorable hunt with his old gun.

Comment

I have a knife that my grandfather made out of a battle damaged section cut out of a World War II battleship. He gave it to me on my 15th birthday and I passed it along to my son on his 15th. He brought it along on every hunt this year. It definitely keeps him there with us. I cleaned 3 deer with that knife this year. Each time I ran it over the stone a couple of times and on a leather strap a couple and it is scalpel sharp. Steel was definitely much higher quality then.

Comment

My older brother passed in 1997, mom gave me his shotgun, I use it for dove hunting and the grandson shoots it when he comes to visit.

Comment

Originally posted by pure lefty View Post
                                I have my grandfathers 257 weatherby, he and I used to hunt together on opening morning when I was 12-13. Most memorable part was on cold mornings he gave me some Boone’s Farm. I woke up quick.
                                When it was real cold, my pops would let us have a sip of peach schnapps. Warmed us up quick.

Comment

Working...
                                X