Arrow Weight ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow Weight ?

Saturday i shot the 'Velocitip' ballistic system and wanted to share the results and ask a question or two:

Mathews DXT 60-70 limbs maxed
    Rip-cord drop away
    28.5 DL
    5575 GT 27 inch nock throat to insert
    Blazer vanes
    100gr heads
    Total arrow weight 368 grains
    FOC 11.1

All below are from a 3 shot average:

Average FPS at release: 320.29
    Average FPS at impact 20 yds 311.71
    Kinetic energy at release 83.80
    Kinetic energy at impact 20yds 79.37
    Time of flight to 20yds 141.92
    Drag coefficient 1971

I have shot this set-up for about 4 years....I have had good success....but I am leaning toward a slightly heavier arrow and giving up a little speed........after seeing all this on paper. Thoughts? Like I say.....I have killed probably 8-10 deer with this set up, but I am about to need new arrows anyway, so I might make a change......

On-an-aside.....the 'Velocitip' system is pretty amazing.

Slayer

What you got... Obviously killed deer

Heavier will also kill deer... The same amount of dead

I'm a middle of the road guy. Not super light not heavy 390g

Don't overthink a Texas whitetail, I can throw a rock and kill em.

Comment

Low fence......

All valid points. Not trying to overthink...or maybe I am. I just kind of like to tinker around and the I need new arrows...lol.

As for you killin em' with a rock......you have some skill!

Slayer

Comment

Low fence.....

I am only 45 minutes from you and we are hosting a 3-D on Sept 20th. PM if you are interested and I will send you the info.

Slayer

Comment

Several things that i noticed and benefited from when I went from 410 grains to an overkill of 560 grains was that:

1. Bow was way, way quieter than with the 410 grain arrow
          2. Accuracy went up, especially at longer ranges
          3. Forgiveness at longer ranges was more noticeable

Not only did i increase my weight, but I did so by adding weight to the front of my arrow and increased my FOC from 8% to 19%.

KE is fine, but momentum is the ability of an arrow to penetrate and that is what i looked at. Even after adding 150 grains to my arrow, my KE went up by 1#.

Just some food for thought.

Comment

FYI:

The average momentum on my 3 shot group was 16.84.

Slayer

Comment

Arrow Weight ?

Originally posted by ETX-Deerslayer View Post
              FYI:

The average momentum on my 3 shot group was 16.84.

Slayer

What formula did you use???? That's wrong. You should be in .52 slug pound range.

Comment

Ok ok im with op here. Im not sure what to shoot now. I am currently shooting gold tips 5575 which i believe are a 300 spine. Now my understanding was that was the stiffness not weight. Me:not an expert but.i would like to shoot more accurate shots at distance.

Comment

Arrow Weight ?

Originally posted by PDT4 View Post
                  Ok ok im with op here. Im not sure what to shoot now. I am currently shooting gold tips 5575 which i believe are a 300 spine. Now my understanding was that was the stiffness not weight. Me:not an expert but.i would like to shoot more accurate shots at distance.

Those are .340 Spine

Accuracy, 15%+ FOC, proper spine, perfectly tuned bow, fletching clearance. And shoot helical on ur fletching not that offset crap unless you are shooting a four fletch.

Comment

Arrow Weight ?

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                    Those are .340 Spine

Accuracy, 15%+ FOC, proper spine, perfectly tuned bow, fletching clearance. And shoot helical on ur fletching not that offset crap unless you are shooting a four fletch.
                    No. Those are .400. The 7595's are .340.
                    Last edited by thorshammer; 08-28-2014, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PDT4 View Post
                      Give us your bow specs also.

Comment

Originally posted by thorshammer View Post
                        No. Those are .400. The 75/95's are .340.

Correct. Wasn't thinkin. .400

Comment

29dl at 65#

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                            What formula did you use???? That's wrong. You should be in .52 slug pound range.
                            Not sure what formula was used as the printout is computer based from the 'Velocitip' software system and that was what my printout read for momentum. I think my printout is at my office....I will look tomorrow to make sure I wasn't reading it wrong.

Slayer

Comment

Op- You are right on the edge for having the correct spine and if you decide to add any weight to the tip you'll definitely want to go with a .340. That will also gain you a little arrow weight alone.

E-tx- You are definitely going to want to step down to a .340.

I was in the same boat as you guys a few years ago. I set down the 355gr arrows in favor of arrows just shy of 500gr. It made my bow much quieter on top of a better shooter. I'm shooting .300 GT's @ 28.75" out of an Elite Pulse 71#.

Comment

Working...
                              X