Help me build a heavier arrow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need some weight, I currently shoot Beman ICS whiteouts with a 400 spine, 100gr ST's at 378 grains. Arrows are 8.1 gpi. I seldom get a pass thru. When I do, it normally falls out the other side in the first couple jumps. Only 3 or 4 times in 20-21 years of bowhunting and who knows how many critters have I just blown thru an animal. What I normally end up with is arrow stuck just before penetrating off side skin and breaking off at entry side. 1 hole partially plugged equals POOR blood trails. I'd like to get closer to 500 grains, but not real sure how to get there. Bow is 60lb 28.5" draw

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Had these built recently by a fellow TBH’r, muddyfuzzy...ended up 470 grains @ 15.5% FOC...absolute hammers!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mechhead View Post
      Had these built recently by a fellow TBH’r, muddyfuzzy...ended up 470 grains @ 15.5% FOC...absolute hammers!!!

Nice. I think id really like to build them myself, just need an idea on where to start.

Comment

If you are shooting standard diameter arrows now get you a few gold tip velocity 340s . Gold tip has fact weights that screw into the back of the insert. You can add weight and test different weights until you find what you like..
        They make a long allen wrench for the weights . You pull the nock out and slide it into the arrow. You can add or remove weights..

Comment

Could just get a 300-grain tip, about a 340 or 300 spine arrow and cut the back off in 1/8" increments until it flies nicely. That's what I did -- shooting a 67-lb recurve and longbow. Yields a 600-grain arrow. Won't fly as fast as you're used to, but will hit hard.

Comment

I shoot 60lbs, at 28.5 inch arrow. I shoot 340 FMJ's 5mm with a 125g tip and Nocturnal nock. My arrow is 507 grains. Just weighed it on a new scale that arrived in the mail.

Comment

Have you looked into heavier inserts? I’ve shot almost the same set up for 10 years nw and just this summer went to a heavier insert, now shooting 480 gr arrows. I’m glad I did as I made a poor shot this past weekend but with my heavier arrows was able to punch through the shoulder blade and arrow lodged in opposite blade, thus a dead deer, as before I’m certain that buck would have lived to see plenty of other days.

Comment

If your shooting standard diameter shaft look on Amazon for .246 brass inserts they are about 13 bucks a dozen that will make a major difference in your foc but if your building your own I’d highly recommend bare shaft tuning ranch fairy has a ton of videos on YouTube on heavy arrows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Start with a heavier arrow, 340s, keep your bh if you are happy with it. Put a weighted insert in it, that will increase your FOC also. That should get you well over 400grs

Im surprised you don't get pass throughs with your present setup.

Comment

Morning,
                    2 Threads come to mind.
                    FOC Increase is one and the other is Time for adult arrows.

I say that because there are several methods for getting wet to way to go.

Are you just looking for heavier arrows, or are you looking for arrows with increased penetration potential.

Heavier doesn't necessarily mean it has more penetration potential.

When I started bow hunting my max arrow weight was 420 grains. Why? Bow MFR recommendation was no less than 6 grains per pound of draw weight. 70x6=420.

Now I'm striving to get 20%+ FOC. I'm not there yet. I think I'm at 17% and my arrows weigh 520 grains. I'm not sure since I haven't bow hunted much in the last couple years.
                    Last edited by Pushbutton2; 12-04-2020, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                      I need some weight, I currently shoot Beman ICS whiteouts with a 400 spine, 100gr ST's at 378 grains. Arrows are 8.1 gpi. I seldom get a pass thru. When I do, it normally falls out the other side in the first couple jumps. Only 3 or 4 times in 20-21 years of bowhunting and who knows how many critters have I just blown thru an animal. What I normally end up with is arrow stuck just before penetrating off side skin and breaking off at entry side. 1 hole partially plugged equals POOR blood trails. I'd like to get closer to 500 grains, but not real sure how to get there. Bow is 60lb 28.5" draw

I guess my question would be how heavier are you wanting to go? Are you wanting a heavier overall arrow, or are you wanting to go heavier and increase FOC?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

thanks for the replies. when I started the thread I didnt have a clue what I wanted other than more weight. after tons of youtube videos and the replies here I think Ive got an idea at least on getting started. Im going to get some brass inserts and bump up my broadhead weight to 125 or 150 and see if I can achieve my goal with my existing arrows. I would like to be somewhere around 500 grains total.

Comment

Join this group if you are on Facebook, lots of great people with great knowledge
                          Attached Files

Comment

Get some zinger fletching, they're awesome and they just slide on.
                            let me know if you want to sell the rest of your whiteouts That's what I shoot

Comment

Working...
                            X