Sauerkraut Experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
    Unless you buy it off the shelf in Munster. Yes the canned stuff in stores is crap.

That is the best there is and I lived in 🇩🇪 Germany for a while.
    Agreed, after being stationed there you can not substitute for authentic homemade German style.

Comment

The stuff bubbled pretty good for about a week, now not much activity.....smells like sauerkraut but I know it couldn't be done fermenting in just one week. Folks that know told me it would take 6 weeks. Have I ruined it?

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
        Unless you buy it off the shelf in Munster. Yes the canned stuff in stores is crap.

That is the best there is and I lived in 🇩🇪 Germany for a while.
        This is off the subject , but it reminds me of a buddy that was for years bragging about his family owened a German resturant and they made the best German potato salad. I fianaly got to taste it at his daughters high school graduation party. It was the appsalute worst potato salad I ever had, no way I could get more then one spoon full down.

Comment

Originally posted by postman View Post
          The stuff bubbled pretty good for about a week, now not much activity.....smells like sauerkraut but I know it couldn't be done fermenting in just one week. Folks that know told me it would take 6 weeks. Have I ruined it?
          I just checked mine at 8 weeks and now going an additional 2 weeks to get to texture we desire

Temperature has a lot to do on time needed. With warmer temps coming times will shorten

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
            First put a sweaty jock strap into a pan with some water and boil. This will give the room the appropriate aroma of authentic sauerkraut. Next, eat a huge salad then gag yourself and puke it into a bowl. Voila, sauerkraut.

Hate that stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            someone has corrupted your mind; there is nothing like good ol' sauerkraut and sausage for a good meal, IMO

Comment

Growing up in northern michigan in a mostly Polish town i've got the sauerkraut thing down to a science. We used to make ours in a 3' tall crock in the garage in early november (temps got right about then). a couple of important things to keep in mind.
              -cut it as thin as possible (we used to have a wooden cabbage size mandolin we used)
              -after you core your cabbage be sure to weigh it
              -you need something to pack your cabbage down with (use a potato masher)
              -use about 3/4 cup of salt per 20# of cored cabbage.
              -put a layer down, pack it down tight, sprinkle with some salt, and repeat till your done.
              -it will draw water out of the cabbage as the salt does it's thing, if it doesn't make enough to cover the cabbage completely add some bottled water.
              -add either a weighted plate or crock weight (or you can use a zip lock full of water)to keep the cabbage submerged (it absolutely has to stay completely submerged.
              ideally you want it someplace in the 50's to make really good kraut. should take a minimum 3 weeks but closer to 6 always seems to make better kraut.
              Thats it for basic kraut-you can do german kraut by adding caraway seeds at about a teaspoon per head of cabbage.

Comment

You can't use too much caraway seed in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                X