Steel Building Questions - Getting Ready to Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steel Building Questions - Getting Ready to Build

We're getting ready to build a shop at the farm, primarily to store the tractor and ranger and I have some questions.

We're planning to build the following:
    30x40 building 12' tall (on slab)
    2-10x40 lean-to's (one on each side at 10') (on dirt)
    2-12 wide x 10' roll-up doors
    1-10 wide x 10' roll-up door
    1-3' walk-through door
    gutters
    Insulated

What's the cost vs advantage of going taller than 12' on the walls?

What kind of cost difference is there between having the lean-to's vs going with a bigger building besides the additional concrete?

Any major issues with waiting a year to get it wired and add lights?

We currently have a price of $24,600 for a welded building as spec'd including erection (plus cost of dirt work and slab). Everything I've found on costs is based on a building without the lean-to's so I'm not sure where I should be on a price per square foot.

I'll have a quote from Mueller for a bolted building soon and will need to factor in cost to erect.

The slab will be plumbed for a commode, sink & drain, and electrical entry. It will be 30x40 with 3 12x3' ramps at the big doors. Price on this is $7,650

you need those 12ft walls if you hang a 10ft roll up door. shorter than 10ft for farm equipment and trailers and the like you may not be happy with. higher than 12 ft must mean that you want to use overhead rigging and lifting gear or that your roll up door will be 12 ft or higher like for a tractor trailer rig. additional cost (relatively small) is necessary based upon the size of the roll up doors you need.

no problem with waiting on the electrical except you will want it in there pretty fast so you can use tools and see what you are doing on the dark.

Comment

Go 14ft tall sides and 12x12 doors u won't regret it

Comment

Taller the better. Ours is 12ft and all though no problems on 4 occasions in the past 18 years, we wished we had a little taller entry.

Comment

Marked for later.

Comment

who are you getting to build it for that price I'm looking at building one too? if you don't mind me being nosey...........

Comment

I originally wanted 12' walls on mine but the supplier priced 14' so I just went with it. I have a 5/12 pitch on my roof and after all was said and done I found I could build a second story inside my building down the center.

The moral of the story, go big...

mark

Comment

Ed, if you want it sealed up to maybe insulate and such later on, I'd go with panel doors instead of roll up doors. They don't seal very well and are next to impossible to insulate. Like others have said, Go as tall as is practical for you. On the lean-to's sure will be easier to put some kind of base down before you begin construction (like crushed rock or concrete) if you plan to do that at some point. Also, if you go 20 foot wide instead of 10, you can park cars/boats, and such end ways rather than parallel... not much extra cost either... similar to 14' walls instead of 12'... ...just my thoughts.

Comment

Go wider on the lean-to. 12'-15' won't be much more $$, if you have room on the site.

1. 10' doesn't cover much if pulling in from the "eave side".

2. If backing a trailer etc., down the (40'side) length you'll appreciate a little more width.

Comment

Appreciate the replies. The builder I have a quote from is local to my area, he's out of Center, TX - Donny Fountain.

Where we're planning to build it we are a bit tight for space so I hadn't looked at going any wider on the lean-to's. The front is not for storage, just a small area to get out of the rain to work, grill, etc. I'll have to take a look at the back to see if I can go another 5' or so.

No plans to seal it up, house is already built and this will be right behind the house. The insulation we're putting in is just to make it more comfortable when I'm working on something out there.

Any guesses on what it would run to go to 14' walls with 12x12 doors?

Comment

Any idea on the price difference between 12' walls and 14' walls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

10' is not near big enough for lean to's. Mine are 15 and would be much better at 20'. Mine is 16' heighth for getting tall horse trailer under eaves but worked out great as I put in one 8x20 loft and will probably do another later. As said, use garage doors, not rollup.

Comment

Thanks for reiterating to use garage doors. When SWS said "panel doors" instead of roll ups, I was thinking a large panel sliding to one side. I didn't realize he was talking about garage doors. I'll look into that.

Comment

Where can I get garage doors that are 12x12 or 10x12?

Comment

You can click on the tab design your door, etc. and they do show you can get a 12x12. We just had two regular size doors installed on our house. They are local to lufkin/Nacogdoches.

Comment

Working...
                              X