No announcement yet.

Coastal Town Lore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In for hopefully great stories. Lots of history in the coastal towns. I can not remember for the life of me but the Light tower near Port Aransas had something interesting about it. On a fishing charter I took one time the captain told us some pretty interesting facts about it. I have slept a lot since that day and cannot remember

Comment

Originally posted by neskora View Post
      Had no idea metal detecting was illegal on PINS
      Should have said 'not permitted', see link below. Also nudity is on that list, just a heads up!

https://www.nps.gov/pais/planyourvisit/things2know.htm

Comment

Originally posted by neskora View Post
        Had no idea metal detecting was illegal on PINS
        Same here and now I want a metal detector to see what they are keeping secret. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
          Is this the kind of information you are looking for?
          Actually I shouldn't' have said "historical" in my initial post. Pretty much all historical data is easily accessible and I have combed tons of it for use in other stuff. I guess I was looking for more of a off the grid story/incident thats tied to the coastal town, its bays and waterways. Never hurts to throw out a line and see what I get. Something like..."My dad used to say that the Mob used to sink all their victims cars in Carancuha Bay" or something like that.

Comment

Ah, yes. I see where you’re going with this. The myths, legends, and lore of these various communities.

I still think the local historical societies might be the place to go to start pulling those threads. They tend to be the elderly offspring of a community‘s founding- or at least long-time members whose families have been there for generations. They know where all the bodies are buried—both literally and figuratively.

I’ll think on it some more, though.

Comment

Lots of cool (and some sad and sobering) side stories about the days leading up to, the night of, and the few days after the Galveston 1900 Hurricane in the book Isaac’s Storm

Obviously not suggesting plagiarism but there were a few that I always thought would be cool to research more to get the entire story

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

There is also a church built by the spanish up the old river we used to visit when I was a kid. At that time only accessible by boat
                Are you sure that wasn't the Tadmore House?

Comment

Matagorda has alot of history.

Battle Island

Tadmor- http://www.usgenwebsites.org/TXMatagorda/tadmor.htm The Tadmor house was a two story, eight sided house build of concrete. During the civil war union gunboats mistook it for a fort and shelled it. The remains are still there today.

The Matagorda Incident- http://www.usgenwebsites.org/TXMatag...daincident.htm

How Matagorda Bay became East and West Matagorda Bay- https://tpwmagazine.com/archive/2006/jul/ed_5/

The Halfmoon Reef Lighthouse is interesting too. https://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=155 I can't imagine living out there back then.

I don't know if this is the kind of stuff you are interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post

http://www.usgenwebsites.org/TXMatagorda/tadmor.htm
                    What a great read. I grew up in Matagorda county but had forgotten about this piece of history. I often think how cool it would be to step back in time and experience life in those days. Except for the thought of the mosquitos!

Comment

"Forrest Bess: Seeing Things Invisible,” contains simple paintings primed for new fans, but the portrait of their maker makes the paintings difficult to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                        Should have said 'not permitted', see link below. Also nudity is on that list, just a heads up!

https://www.nps.gov/pais/planyourvisit/things2know.htm
                        Those shipwrecks is what caused the Texas Antiquities Code to be drafted. People came from out of state to plunder what they found and the state does not take kindly to that sort of behavior.

Basically anything on public land (city, county, school district, etc) is off limits and any land disturbance on these areas must include some type of archaeological review

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                          Actually I shouldn't' have said "historical" in my initial post. Pretty much all historical data is easily accessible and I have combed tons of it for use in other stuff. I guess I was looking for more of a off the grid story/incident thats tied to the coastal town, its bays and waterways. Never hurts to throw out a line and see what I get. Something like..."My dad used to say that the Mob used to sink all their victims cars in Carancuha Bay" or something like that.
                          Along those lines...

I had an old timer tell me during prohibition they had a club on the Matagorda Peninsula where wealthy guys would go for drinking, gambling and prostitution. I don't know that it is true or not. I never have seen anything that would substantiate it. It would have been the perfect location since you had to go by boat and there wasn't any law enforcement around.

I grew up hearing lots of stories about smugglers and smuggling. One about a local guy who disappeared and his plane turned up in South America with bullet holes in it. I also use to hear lots of stories about different shrimpers awho were running drugs. But then that is sorta the way of the coastal town. Always were refuges for those who live on the fringe of society.

Another story was about a painter named Forrest Bess. He lived in Chinquapin as a hermit. He was pretty out there. The story goes that he operated on himself to make himself a hermaphrodite in an attempt to become immortal. You can look up Forrest Bess, he became pretty famous as an artist. It's the other stories about him that are out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post

http://www.usgenwebsites.org/TXMatagorda/tadmor.htm
                            If thats up the old river a ways same place. I thought dad said it was a church.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by John Paul View Post
                              That was my first! Indianola, our first road trip that way we found this giant stature of this German guy right on the water. Apparently, that is the landing point when they went up the Gaudalupe River and founded New Braunfels. That area has some great history.
                              One time I was there after a hurricane and you could see where that statue shifted on base from wind or tide surge...

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
                                What a great read. I grew up in Matagorda county but had forgotten about this piece of history. I often think how cool it would be to step back in time and experience life in those days. Except for the thought of the mosquitos!
                                I can't even imagine what it would have been like to try to raise a family and live down there back then. It had to be a rough place to live.

Comment

Working...
                                X