Coastal Town Lore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coastal Town Lore

Does anybody got any good unknown historical facts about our major coastal towns that they think most people don't know about? ie...Galveston, Matagorda, Port O Conner, Corpus Christi, Rockport etc. Looking for a couple of little hidden gems for a piece I am writing. Thanks in advance.

As far as lore goes, you’ll probably want to add Indianola to your list.

Comment

Corpus has a lot of Indian heritage. Check out the names of some of the downtown streets. Carancua for example.

Comment

German subs off POC. This always amazed me.

Comment

Originally posted by neskora View Post
          As far as lore goes, you’ll probably want to add Indianola to your list.
          That was my first! Indianola, our first road trip that way we found this giant stature of this German guy right on the water. Apparently, that is the landing point when they went up the Gaudalupe River and founded New Braunfels. That area has some great history.
          Attached Files

Comment

Of course, much has been written over the years about the tragedies of Galveston and Indianola, and, more recently, the shipwreck La Salle; however, when I was working on a La Salle project at the Bullock Museum in Austin, I had occasion to partner with the Museum of the Coastal Bend and was impressed with their knowledge of early Texas history such as the indigenous people, French exploration, Spanish exploration, and early cattle ranching (they assert the the concept started there, I believe).

If this is not quite what you’re looking for, you should ask them to point you in the direction of other museums or, better yet, historical societies, that might be able to help. Now that I think about it, mining the numerous and various historical societies in the many small towns along the coast may yield a lot of good information as these groups tend to focus on how life was lived back when “history was happening.”

Is this the kind of information you are looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
              https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/new...315217364.html

This is pretty cool, I haven't heard of it before today!

Comment

Look up the article “sleeping booty” in Texas monthly. Cool story of a shipwreck in the mission river between city Refugio and copano bay somewhere along the mission river. Every time we duck hunt that area this article comes to mind.

Comment

There was a Confederate ship found and recovered on Caney Creek just north of Sargent. It was a pretty cool find. It was hidden in plain sight.

Comment

We provide the best-guided tours in Galveston. It's the most awesome, super fun and eco-friendly way to explore the island.

Schedule a private adult tour with the Rat Pack theme.
                    Tell the guy or gal guide to not hold anything back.
                    Don't take your kids.

There is a very dark side to Galveston and its interesting if your into that kinda stuff.

Comment

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but:
                      1) concrete ship history, very interesting
                      2) Jean Lafitte established a colony on Galveston Island named Campeche that earned millions of dollars from stolen or smuggled coins/goods
                      3) 3 Spanish ships wrecked off the Padre Island National Seashore, and that is one reason metal detecting is illegal

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
                        There was a Confederate ship found and recovered on Caney Creek just north of Sargent. It was a pretty cool find. It was hidden in plain sight.
                        No tellin how many times someone rolled by that thing and never knew it.

All I can come up with is there was a story of some GWs that rolled into the Big Boggy area of matagorda to follow up on a poacher report via airboat. They parked the boat and went to hiking (not easy over there) toward the sound of gunshots in an attempt to catch said poacher. When they did not catch the hunter they returned to their airboat to find the prop shot smooth of the engine.

This was way before cell phones.......

There is also a church built by the spanish up the old river we used to visit when I was a kid. At that time only accessible by boat

Comment

Indianola was one of the major ports for the Nation many years ago- Lots of history in that little town

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                            Not sure if this is common knowledge, but:
                            1) concrete ship history, very interesting
                            2) Jean Lafitte established a colony on Galveston Island named Campeche that earned millions of dollars from stolen or smuggled coins/goods
                            3) 3 Spanish ships wrecked off the Padre Island National Seashore, and that is one reason metal detecting is illegal
                            Had no idea metal detecting was illegal on PINS

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
                              https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/new...315217364.html

Thanks for that link. Cool read.

Comment

Working...
                              X