Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ruger Predator 6.5 Creedmoor.......gotta see this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by csmith936 View Post
    Operation cheap truck gun- $700 minus suppressor

Bought the gun on Friday, slapped a cheap Nikon Buckmaster scope I had laying around on it, and went to the range Saturday morning!!!!

This is shots 16,17,18

A $400 gun shooting 1/4" groups with factory ammo

Looks like the same range I go to. Nice shooting BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
      Didn't realize I never updated this.

RAP in an MDT LSS chassis topped with Athlon Ares 4.5-27 MIL.

this is quite possibly the best chassis/distance combo that I've seen for the money. well done! you could spend a ton more money, but you won't get much more performance than that.

Comment

Got my long-awaited suppressor (Omega .30) in the other day, was able to shoot it at 485 yards last weekend. Still have some work to do, but it did well with it's favorite Hornady 140gr BTHP Black:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Suppressed RAR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	24560179

Name:	RAR Target.jpg
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	24560180

Not really happy with the weight of the Vortex on the gun, considering a lighter Leupold as I've been happy with a VX-5HD I put on my 7 mag. Haven't started loading for it yet, but have an 8lb jug of H4350 and a bunch of 143gr ELD-x bullets stashed for just that purpose.

Stu

Comment

Last Sunday used my 6.5 to take a nice public land buck with 123 grain Honady SST hand loads.

Name:	20181202_120318.jpg
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	24563119

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cottonfish View Post
            Got my long-awaited suppressor (Omega .30) in the other day, was able to shoot it at 485 yards last weekend. Still have some work to do, but it did well with it's favorite Hornady 140gr BTHP Black:

[ATTACH]933772[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]933773[/ATTACH]

Not really happy with the weight of the Vortex on the gun, considering a lighter Leupold as I've been happy with a VX-5HD I put on my 7 mag. Haven't started loading for it yet, but have an 8lb jug of H4350 and a bunch of 143gr ELD-x bullets stashed for just that purpose.

Stu
            What stock did you go with?

Comment

Just picked up a 6.5 CM RAP. What size scope rings (low / medium / high) would y’all recommend for this set up? I will have Vortex 30mm tube with a 50mm objective lens. Not sure which model. My dad is giving me the scope. I also have an 1.5 in diameter suppressor I will be using.

Comment

Originally posted by mojohunter View Post
                Just picked up a 6.5 CM RAP. What size scope rings (low / medium / high) would y’all recommend for this set up? I will have Vortex 30mm tube with a 50mm objective lens. Not sure which model. My dad is giving me the scope. I also have an 1.5 in diameter suppressor I will be using.
                I just put Burris medium zee rings on mine. Vortex 30mm tube.
                Highs are way too tall.

Comment

Originally posted by IvoryRoot View Post
                  What stock did you go with?
                  It's a Boyd's Heritage for the Ruger American Predator in nutmeg laminate. The Prairie Hunter appears to be the same stock, but has the relief cuts along the fore-end and I wanted the fuller profile. Shorter length of pull for grandson, added some checkering. Had to do a minor amount of fitting before Acraglas.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by mojohunter View Post
                    I set one up for my BIL and it has vortex low rings with a vortex intrepid with a 50mm objective. Sweet shooting rifle we have stayed well below sub-moa out to 500 yds so far and he has dropped 2 mulies at 275yd 200yds and a whitetail at 400yds with it using the Hornady 140gr ELD-M ammo. I have a another buddy that a RAP in 308 and its a tack driver with cheapo ammo. He wont buy anything close to $30 or more a box lol

Comment

Have any of y'all had the barrel cut down on your 6.5 Ruger? By the time I put my can on the end and deal with it in the blind it's like a goose gun. My BIL has a custom built 6.5 cut down to 16'' but I'm thinking I would like to get it down to 18''. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                        Have any of y'all had the barrel cut down on your 6.5 Ruger? By the time I put my can on the end and deal with it in the blind it's like a goose gun. My BIL has a custom built 6.5 cut down to 16'' but I'm thinking I would like to get it down to 18''. Any thoughts?
                        Here is my ruger with the mdt chassis and vortex viper.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                          The rifle I have pictured above is a Compact with a 20" factory threaded barrel. My thoughts are why spend the money on the extra 2" of barrel length on an inexpensive gun. Unless of course you have a gunsmith that can do it for not much cost. I'm getting about 2550 fps from a 140gr bullet, the 22" barrels are pushing the same projectile somewhat faster.

Stu

Comment

I just started a new budget gun project with a Ruger American Predator 6.5 CM

Started with the trigger, cut a coil and a half off and buffed parts. Nice 3# crisp trigger

Floated barrel, factory stock was touching on the left side

Had Ed Vanden Berg cut the barrel down to 18”

Worked up 5 loads with H4350 and Hornady 143 ELDX

Cheap Nikon 3x9 scope

Sandman Ti

Hit the node on the # 2 load - 39.5g H4350. 5 shots at 100yds

Will chrono when the weather breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got a RAP 6.5 on Black Friday for my little boy because someone stole his deer rifle the Wednesday before. I was away from home and had to do quick sight in so he could hunt with it the remainder of the weekend. I grabbed a bore snake and cleaned it a few times with that before and during initial sight in. I've since played with it and cleaned it properly, but I'm not seeing the accuracy that most of you are. Is it possible that an improper break in may be the cause? I've shot the Hornady American white tails and the federal 140 grain non typical so far. Also 3 rounds of superformance 129's which were the least accurate of the 3 rounds tested. I did open the barrel channel up a bit, but just screwed the action screws back in snug because I don't have a torque wrench? Could that be a problem? Also threw some high rings on it since that is all Bass pro had that day so maybe some lower rings would help? I'd like to get this thing shooting as good as possible for him. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by mkk View Post
                                I just started a new budget gun project with a Ruger American Predator 6.5 CM

Started with the trigger, cut a coil and a half off and buffed parts. Nice 3# crisp trigger

Floated barrel, factory stock was touching on the left side

Had Ed Vanden Berg cut the barrel down to 18”

Worked up 5 loads with H4350 and Hornady 143 ELDX

Cheap Nikon 3x9 scope

Sandman Ti

Hit the node on the # 2 load - 39.5g H4350. 5 shots at 100yds

Will chrono when the weather breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Post up your chrono results please. I would love to know what it does with the 18" barrel.

Comment

Working...
                                X