Chevy Lifter/Cam Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chevy Lifter/Cam Issues

Got the bad news today that my 2017 Suburban needs lifters and cam replaced. Mileage is at 73k (I know a lot for a 17 but it’s the family vehicle that has been everywhere) so it’s out of the 60k powertrain and of course I didn’t do extended warranty. My question is, with this being such a known problem and a pretty new vehicle has anyone had any luck with GM or the dealership covering this repair or at least offering discounts? Might be a dumb question but was going to ask before calling tomorrow so i at least had an idea if they ever consider it or not. Thanks is advance for the help.

Chevy Lifter/Cam Issues

Good luck with GM and their dealers covering anything out of warranty.

Might be time to consider a mild cam upgrade. Performance shops probably can do it cheaper than dealers with better results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Man that sucks. If you dont end up going with a fix from the dealer I would look into getting an engine from someone that can build the motor without the displacement on demand which is why the lifter gave out and destroyed your cam.

Comment

Yep. After market is the way to go. If Chevy fixes it you e got a 75K mile fix.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
          Man that sucks. If you dont end up going with a fix from the dealer I would look into getting an engine from someone that can build the motor without the displacement on demand which is why the lifter gave out and destroyed your cam.
          I know a guy that can replace all lifters, aftermarket cam, and a tune to remove the DOD for like 2k. Just wanted to check if anyone had any luck with gm or dealer covering something fairly close to warranty before throwing out the cash. I didn’t realize how common this was until it happened to me.

Comment

What were the symptoms and who said all that needed to be replaced?

Comment

Originally posted by KNP16 View Post
              I know a guy that can replace all lifters, aftermarket cam, and a tune to remove the DOD for like 2k. Just wanted to check if anyone had any luck with gm or dealer covering something fairly close to warranty before throwing out the cash. I didn’t realize how common this was until it happened to me.
              I haven't beard of anyone having luck with GM on any of those type of issues.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

We've had them replace a cracked dash for half off once.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                  What were the symptoms and who said all that needed to be replaced?
                  Symptoms were knocking noise in/around the block that started a few weeks ago. After taking it to the shop and hooking it up to diagnostics it showed issues with #7 (per the mechanic). He’s done several of these so seemed to know what he was talking about. Going to get a second opinion at some point this week before committing to the repair. But seems like a common issue from talking with the mechanic and everything I have read (including here) and the way to go is aftermarket cam and removal of DOD.

Comment

That’s terrible. Usually don’t see any issues if they do occur until 130-40 thousand miles. Not sure why in the world they keep the cylinder cut off thing.

Comment

AFM sucks. Replace the cam and lifters, and block off plate. Delete AFM altogether.

Comment

I got my suburban in for the same thing and it’s number 7 cylinder as well. I think they said it last 1–3-4-7 that cut off. My buddy told me when I bought it to put a tune in it to cut that afm off and I should’ve listened. Costing me now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by KNP16 View Post
                          Not trying to make things worse but the metal from the lifter and the cam got circulated through your entire engine via the oils passage ways. I would suggest ordering a long block from someone like Texas Speed or LMR. I am shocked that Chevy is still doing this garbage. Has literally been a known issue since 2007 but I guess they have to meet gas mileage requirements from the government.

Comment

I would quit dealing with the service writer. Speak with the service manager. GM will "Goodwill" warranty items like this. Especially known problems. They have a Good will calculator and will cover close to 70-80% of repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                              I would quit dealing with the service writer. Speak with the service manager. GM will "Goodwill" warranty items like this. Especially known problems. They have a Good will calculator and will cover close to 70-80% of repairs.
                              This, and stay after them.

Comment

Working...
                              X