Granite Countertops Cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Granite Countertops Cost

We are looking at buying a house in the Houston area. Problem is my wife hates the Counters. I am trying to put together a budget for update we might want to do. I know that the price can vary a lot based on type, but what are people spending on Granite counters these days? Would love to see what people have paid per square foot installed. I am going to measure the house tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$45 is a good number to start with

I would say $55 if wife is picking

Comment

Post up a drawing and what color you want and can let you know.

Comment

All depends on the type of granite. If it's sunset red from here in texas, probably $40 a sqft, something that has to be imported, or rare, $200 +.
        The thinner they are the cheaper, you want 1" it's gonna cost more.
        No way to give a price really other than straight labor, and that's not gonna tell you much.

Comment

We're planning a kitchen remodel and have been given prices ranging from $38 to $55+ installed.

Comment

We just did our house a couple months ago. We looked at a lot of rock, with prices ranging from $35-$85/sqft (installed). The one we picked was $75/sqft! If you are on a budget, one thing you might do is ask the granite place if they have remnants. If they do, you can look thru those for cheaper pieces for bathrooms and laundry rooms.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
              All depends on the type of granite. If it's sunset red from here in texas, probably $40 a sqft, something that has to be imported, or rare, $200 +.
              The thinner they are the cheaper, you want 1" it's gonna cost more.
              No way to give a price really other than straight labor, and that's not gonna tell you much.
              Interesting fact about Sunset Red granite that comes from the Marble Falls,TX area... About twenty years ago, when Sunset Red granite was a sought after choice for granite, it was cheaper to have a block sent to China to be processed into polished slabs & then sent back here than to have it processed into slabs here in Texas.

I suggest getting multiple bids. You'd be shocked how much of a price difference you can get from three different bids for the same granite.
              Last edited by techzan; 03-25-2019, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by techzan View Post
                I suggest getting multiple bids. You'd be shocked how much of a price difference you can get from three different bids for the same granite.
                this.

I chose the route of buying the prefab pieces and installing myself. ended up being 1/3 the price of the cheapest quote i got. Took 6 friends to help carry the big piece. was about 1300 for over 50sqft, add another 50 for beer and pizza. Had quotes for 4-8k

Comment

I just got the ball park #'s last week from a builder friend. Typical Quartz or level 3 Granite approximately $55.00 sq ft installed, add for cut outs $100-$125 per sink or stove top. Budget #'s only. Not some crazy high dollar stuff. My budget # was about 8K.

Comment

Originally posted by techzan View Post
                    Interesting fact about Sunset Red granite that comes from the Marble Falls,TX area... About twenty years ago, when Sunset Red granite was a sought after choice for granite, it was cheaper to have a block sent to China to be processed into polished slabs & then sent back here than to have it processed into slabs here in Texas.

It's still the same lol. We set a 100k+ mausoleum, out in San Francisco last summer.
                    Cheapest way to do it, was ship it from here to India to be sawed, then ship it from there to China, to have the tooling done, then back to the port in San Francisco. It's insane, but when someone works a 10 hr day to make $1.50, that's what happens.

X2 on price quotes. One guy knows someone and is paying $5 a foot, business down the road buys from a local wholesaler and pays $25 a foot.
                    When someone says, such and such granite cost so much a ft no matter where you go, it's a LIE.
                    Granite isn't like copper in that there is a pretty standard wholesale price.
                    Last edited by MadHatter; 03-25-2019, 03:06 PM.

Comment

You can buy pre-fab peninsulas and islands as well as the standard 26" wide pieces (Be careful colors don't always match). Prices range from $130 to $1000 per piece depending on color and size. You can figure an additional $200 to $350 per piece for exact cutting and installation. Undermount cut-outs a bit more.

Comment

Let her pick the slab after you pick what grade she can choose from is my advice

Comment

Not sure this helps a ton but we recently had granite installed in our kitchen and three bathrooms for $5700. Included undermounted sinks and haul removal and haul away. 1 slab and believe it was priced around $1000.
                          Kitchen has two long pieces and an island. Master bath has split vanities, second bathroom had jack/jill sinks.

Then you have to tear out and replace or somehow fix old backsplash to work.

Comment

$3500 last wk.

I had small kitchen, BIG island, 2 baths (one included top for 6' jet tub), and laundry. 2 undermount sinks included (kitchen and laundry). I supplied undermount copper sinks for baths.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190325-192403_Gallery.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	24575365
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190325-192414_Gallery.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	24575366

Comment

Check Facebook and get more than one bid. I just had a 100 sq ft of quartz installed on Friday for 5k with 6 sinks.

I usually pay about 30ft for a standard granite like Dallas white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X