Exclusion Fencing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    I worry about cows jumping a 34" panel...not for corn, but they might for protein...

Anyone have thoughts or personal experience there? Our cows now are pretty tame, the corrientes the last guy had would jump a fence like a deer.
    More panels, minimum 10, my last pen was 16 panels. The cows never got in it, neither did the deer!.....if the cow can see/smell it in a small pen.....ya, they'll push it or jump.

We've never once had a cow in our pens. Freaking audad and few goats a few times. I ain't feeding hogs nothing but lead and bh's!
    Last edited by Traildust; 01-21-2020, 03:49 PM.

Comment

I have 34" hog panels up around my feeders. I had a couple of pigs inside the fence in the first month after I installed them. None in over a year though. I have no idea how they got in.

Comment

I also notched out a few areas to give the fawns easier access. Seemed to help a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
          More panels, minimum 10, my last pen was 16 panels. The cows never got in it, neither did the deer!.....if the cow can see/smell it in a small pen.....ya, they'll push it or jump.

We've never once had a cow in our pens. Freaking audad and few goats a few times. I ain't feeding hogs nothing but lead and bh's!
          I want to put out a timed protein feeder along with a regular corn feeder at one spot. The cows worry me...I guess I could put a strand of barbed wire around it above the panels, but I don't want deer getting hung in it...

I was planning on 14 panels, overlap each one square, T posts at each end and in the middle.

Comment

I have had a couple of hogs somehow climb in my round hog panel pen
            I had one cow that walked in
            Finally had turkeys jump in this year for the first time

That’s over a 10 year period for 6 feeders with 8-15 panels.

I put a single strand at the top of the hog panel to repel the cows

Thousands of photos of deer in the pens. First pen had a doe on it the first day !
            PM for sample photos of deer inside and hogs outside at the same time.

Comment

I want to put out a timed protein feeder along with a regular corn feeder at one spot. The cows worry me...I guess I could put a strand of barbed wire around it above the panels, but I don't want deer getting hung in it...

I was planning on 14 panels, overlap each one square, T posts at each end and in the middle.
              I think you'll be fine , just keep the feeder in the middle. Seriously, we've never had a cow in one of our pens.....and been on about 15 different ranches.

Comment

I worry about cows jumping a 34" panel...not for corn, but they might for protein...

Anyone have thoughts or personal experience there? Our cows now are pretty tame, the corrientes the last guy had would jump a fence like a deer.

I tried this a few years ago. Had calves in my pen the first week. Had to go back up before my feeders got destroyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe put a strand of barbed wire at the top of the panel to keep cows out.

Comment

The feeders we have without pens are considered pig and aoudad blinds.

The feeders we have with pens are considered Aoudad blinds that deer might come to!

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      I had to do this once. 4pt barbed wire stopped the bull from just walking over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                        I don’t have a cow issue, but hogs.... and a few neighbors donkeys

I cut regular 50” panels in half and made mine 25”. 6 panels makes 12 and that’s what I used at protein station. Zero pig entry and deer where in it same day

I can’t get deer to jump a 32”... won’t do it
                        Leave to the Aggie not to try a 25” panel. Make the pen twice as big. Never had a problem with hogs with 25” panels. Although where we have cows those tiger stripes have no problem clearing a 34” panel. They wouldn’t jump it much with just the feeder, but I couldn’t dump bags of corn on the ground.

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        Thought of this and several other ideas but opted not to. With just t posts you won’t be able to pull the wire very tight and the first day I have to explain to my dad why there is a crippled cow in his pasture because she was tangled up in barbed wire would be the last day I hunted there.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                          I don’t have a cow issue, but hogs.... and a few neighbors donkeys

I cut regular 50” panels in half and made mine 25”. 6 panels makes 12 and that’s what I used at protein station. Zero pig entry and deer where in it same day

I can’t get deer to jump a 32”... won’t do it
                          weird....

We used an (I guess the Aggie term is "excluder fence" ) around our entire ranch.

We "excluded" all cows from the whole place, and the deer jump it just fine at 48" tall.

We do have a few places that the fawns can get under the fence.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Plainsman. Good info.

Farmers Fight!

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                              weird....

We used an (I guess the Aggie term is "excluder fence" ) around our entire ranch.

We "excluded" all cows from the whole place, and the deer jump it just fine at 48" tall.

We do have a few places that the fawns can get under the fence.
                              I think it’s regional

Barb wire is king here. No “goat wire” or field fence. If I see 100 deer cross a fence line that ain’t being pressed 95 will go through the middle vs jump.

I can go to Throckmorton and deer will jump the pen while I’m building it

Comment

I have used panels with great success, plenty of deer and no pigs (no cows on lease).

I took down the panels to allow the hogs to come in so we could shoot them.

Good video and great info!

Comment

Working...
                                X