Chevy Lifter/Cam Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KNP16 View Post
    Symptoms were knocking noise in/around the block that started a few weeks ago. After taking it to the shop and hooking it up to diagnostics it showed issues with #7 (per the mechanic). He’s done several of these so seemed to know what he was talking about. Going to get a second opinion at some point this week before committing to the repair. But seems like a common issue from talking with the mechanic and everything I have read (including here) and the way to go is aftermarket cam and removal of DOD.
    Thanks
    I have an 06 with 140k and about half the time it knocks..then goes away.
    Was told it happens alot and not to worry about it.
    I just hope it does not break anytime soon

Comment

Aftermarket fix and delete the AFM so that your done with it!

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        Thanks
        06 down are not as prone to have issues. Does your knock on cold starts or does it do it when it is hot?

Comment

How often do you check your engine oil?

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbabowhunter View Post
            How often do you check your engine oil?
            Somewhat regularly but that is not the issue. Checked it when the knock first become present and it was fine, still is. No check engine, oil pressure is fine as well which is the norm when this happens from what I was told.

Comment

Thanks
              My 04 did this at cold start until 5-10 min after running when I hit 120-130k. Did it from then until 250k when someone pulled out in front of me and it was totaled.

Comment

After the third and final lifter to crap out in my 2014 6.2 4x4 (78,000 miles) I took it to G-Force Motorsports in Friendswood and had DOD/AFM Delete, BTR Stage 1 LT1 cam, valve springs, E85 solenoid, and dynotune done....

Comment

Originally posted by Mertzon Man View Post
                  This, and stay after them.
                  Well to add a wrench into this the dealership changed ownership roughly 6 months ago. New GM and pretty much all new mgmt. Not sure they will give two trickles of dog pee but I’m gonna give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                    06 down are not as prone to have issues. Does your knock on cold starts or does it do it when it is hot?
                    When I start it sometimes
                    Sometimes after I have been driving for 30 min it will start and last for about 5 min then go away again.
                    I've heard it's not a big deal in this truck and I hope that's right

Comment

Can someone shed a little more light on the removal of DOD and AFM?

Wife has a ‘12 suburban and considering doing this as a preventative measure. Because she driving that mug til it dies. Thoughts?

Comment

Sometimes after I have been driving for 30 min it will start and last for about 5 min then go away again.
                        2006 and surrounding years have issues with the oil pump pickup tube O ring not sealing. Causing a cavitation of the oil. Likely do for the oil pan gasket to be replaced anyhow, wouldn’t hurt to replace both. Any oil pan gasket replaced on these, we always put a new pickup tube O ring on.

Comment

My 06 suburban did exactly the same thing around 160000 miles took it in and they rebuilt the oil pump and never had another knock or lifter noise. Mechanic said the oil pump was a known issue. Wasn’t that expensive either.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                            2006 and surrounding years have issues with the oil pump pickup tube O ring not sealing. Causing a cavitation of the oil. Likely do for the oil pan gasket to be replaced anyhow, wouldn’t hurt to replace both. Any oil pan gasket replaced on these, we always put a new pickup tube O ring on.
                            Exactly what they did to mine!

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                              Can someone shed a little more light on the removal of DOD and AFM?

Wife has a ‘12 suburban and considering doing this as a preventative measure. Because she driving that mug til it dies. Thoughts?
                              Easiest way is to just get the Texas speed kit. Delete all the garbage, drop in a cam, and tune it.

I did the top engine cleaner GM tech bulletin on mine and then turned off AFM via tuning. Have not had any issues since. And hopefully continue not too.

Too the OP. That sucks on such a "new " vehicle. I would stay on the dealer and see about them at least covering a chunk of it. It's a very common issue unfortunately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                                Easiest way is to just get the Texas speed kit. Delete all the garbage, drop in a cam, and tune it.

I did the top engine cleaner GM tech bulletin on mine and then turned off AFM via tuning. Have not had any issues since. And hopefully continue not too.

Too the OP. That sucks on such a "new " vehicle. I would stay on the dealer and see about them at least covering a chunk of it. It's a very common issue unfortunately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                                Thanks! Any idea what this might run ...$$?

Comment

Working...
                                X