GM 5.3L Vs. 6.2L...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steves ATV View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but aren't the 6.2L's paired with a 10 speed tranny and the 5.3 w/ a 6 speed? Also, when shopping for the wife's burban, I thought I noticed the 5.3's had a higher tow rating than the 6.2's.
    Most people look at HP without looking at the tranny or the gear set. 6.2 white smoke the tires without touching the brake but not made to tow

Comment

Originally posted by hbender1 View Post
      I've heard the term "bulletproof" used when describing the 6.2.

The ZL1 Camaro crowd routinely push 800+ HP through both the LSA(580HP stock) and the LT4(650HP stock) all done with tunes and minor addons - no internal upgrades. Pretty sure it's the same base they use in the pick ups.
      It’s a great engine, but I’ve had 3 lifters go out in mine in 78,000 miles, btw the truck has been tuned and had 4cyl mode turned off since it had 20,000 miles. The last was the final straw. I took it G-force motorsports in Friendswood and had the dod/afm delete, bigger cam, E85 conversion and dynotune. Put down 400hp to the tires, which are 34” y’all and weigh 65lbs a piece. The truck flat gets it!

Comment

Originally posted by Steves ATV View Post
        Maybe I missed it, but aren't the 6.2L's paired with a 10 speed tranny and the 5.3 w/ a 6 speed? Also, when shopping for the wife's burban, I thought I noticed the 5.3's had a higher tow rating than the 6.2's.
        Current models; 6.2/10 speed and 5.3/8 speed. The 6.2 has been paired with the six speed, eight speed in the past and now is standard with the ten.

This is actually a good point as well. The eight speed transmission is junk. The thing bangs downshifts like you are in a crash, searches for gears and is the issue of several lawsuits. They have issued several bulletins on the transmission including new fluid that does help somewhat. The newer version has some improvements in the converter, etc. I would not buy a vehicle with the 8 speed, so go ahead and step up to the 6.2 to get the much better 10 speed unit.

I should add; when I call it junk it is drivability issues. The camaro/corvette crowd are pushing crazy numbers through the stock transmission without issues like the vulnerable 4l60.
        Last edited by -HIC-; 12-12-2019, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
          Current models; 6.2/10 speed and 5.3/8 speed. The 6.2 has been paired with the six speed, eight speed in the past and now is standard with the ten.

This is actually a good point as well. The eight speed transmission is junk. The thing bangs downshifts like you are in a crash, searches for gears and is the issue of several lawsuits. They have issued several bulletins on the transmission including new fluid that does help somewhat. The newer version has some improvements in the converter, etc. I would not buy a vehicle with the 8 speed, so go ahead and step up to the 6.2 to get the much better 10 speed unit.

I should add; when I call it junk it is drivability issues. The camaro/corvette crowd are pushing crazy numbers through the stock transmission without issues like the vulnerable 4l60.

What about the older 5.3’s with a six speed? Now that you mention it a friend had a Chevy rental while her truck was in the shop and said it downshifted rough. I just figured it was because it was a rental and she’s a ford girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mambajeep View Post
            And trashes the front end after 40-50k miles

Good ones don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
              What about the older 5.3’s with a six speed? Now that you mention it a friend had a Chevy rental while her truck was in the shop and said it downshifted rough. I just figured it was because it was a rental and she’s a ford girl.

I have not heard of any issues with the 6-speed, we had one in the old Yukon and it never gave us any problems.

The current 8 speed has a new converter design and actually is a different part number than the older gear box. However, the boards indicate that it still shares some of the issues as the older trans like converter shudder, searching for gears and rough downshift, particularly on grades, etc. I have driven a rental with the new transmission and I did not notice any problems, but it may be intermittent like my truck. I guess I can live with it as long as it does not go out completely! The price of a new truck with 6.2 is still to high for me to bite the bullet on the upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                Good ones don’t.

A “good” budget boost? Right

Comment

GM 5.3L Vs. 6.2L...

Originally posted by Mambajeep View Post
                  A “good” budget boost? Right

I don’t follow...

I can tell you that the cognito leveling kits with the replacement upper A arms, don’t change the trucks ride, or eat up front end parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
                    Nothing wrong with the 5.3 for typical truck stuff. The 6.2 has slightly better tech specs but isn't like your'e moving into diesel towing performance. The 6.2 is a hot rod... plain and simple. I own one, and I love it, I'd be hard pressed to go back to a 5.3. The MPG is nice, but man what sold me on it and still makes me smile is pushing that pedal to the floor and listening to that 6.2 hasten the demise of the planet, that .... is awesome and was worth the $ to me.

I agree. I’m on my second one. This one is a 2019 GMC. The best part about them now is the 10 speed automatic transmission. That sucker will get somewhere quick.

Comment

Or alternatively... You could come to the dark side.. I just got this one in today
                      Attached Files

Comment

I don’t follow...

I can tell you that the cognito leveling kits with the replacement upper A arms, don’t change the trucks ride, or eat up front end parts.

Dale is correct. Throwing a spacer or torison keys (HDs and older 1/2 tons) will level it but you can level it the right way. My last 1/2 ton had aftermarket upper control arms (along with king coil overs) and it survived 97k of serious abuse before it needed some maintenance/replacement items with the exception of rebuilding the kings.... With 33s, a warm 6.2, and zero regard for its longevity.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_g View Post
                          Or alternatively... You could come to the dark side.. I just got this one in today

Already a resident, I like the Rebels but can’t get over the black and red interior trim. That and the shifter knob... [emoji23][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post

My 15 has the 8 speed and it’s terrible. I’m just living with it because I don’t want to swap trucks right now but it’s the worst transmission I’ve ever had. My 2011 with the 6.2 and the 6 speed was excellent. Zero complaints. I drove a buddies 10 speed Denali a few weeks ago to the coast and it was very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by PVDT View Post
                              I agree. I’m on my second one. This one is a 2019 GMC. The best part about them now is the 10 speed automatic transmission. That sucker will get somewhere quick.
                              I love the ten speed in my wifes truck but believe it or not the six speed is the fastest combo with the 6.2. However, I would not trade the drivability of the 10 speed for the .1 or .2 gain of the six!

Comment

I don’t follow...

I agree with you on that, but these guys not wanting spend the money on the engines are talking about the $200 pucks not a $1300 kit plus install

Comment

Working...
                                X