GM 5.3L Vs. 6.2L...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
    I have a 5.3 now and HATE it! I will never own another wimpy engine like this. 6.2 is the way to go. Better to have a little extra than barely enough at times.

Originally posted by Matt_g View Post
    I’ve had 3 6.2’s, it’s the only gas engine I would ever consider going back to! The same if not better mpg while having more power... I’ll take it!

That’s one of the main things I was wondering, the sales posts are showing 1-2mpg less then a 5.3 but real world numbers always tell the tale.

BayouBoy what’s wimpy about it? What are you trying to pull down the road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Nothing wrong with the 5.3 for typical truck stuff. The 6.2 has slightly better tech specs but isn't like your'e moving into diesel towing performance. The 6.2 is a hot rod... plain and simple. I own one, and I love it, I'd be hard pressed to go back to a 5.3. The MPG is nice, but man what sold me on it and still makes me smile is pushing that pedal to the floor and listening to that 6.2 hasten the demise of the planet, that .... is awesome and was worth the $ to me.

Comment

27' ft bumper pull RV made it work it's tail off. 5x12 utility trailer with a Yamaha Viking even puts more drag on it than I care for. And, don't have more than a dozen bags of corn in the back while pulling the UTV or you can really tell. I flat hate the engine and I am a GM guy. Not enough guts for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
          27' ft bumper pull RV made it work it's tail off. 5x12 utility trailer with a Yamaha Viking even puts more drag on it than I care for. And, don't have more than a dozen bags of corn in the back while pulling the UTV or you can really tell. I flat hate the engine and I am a GM guy. Not enough guts for me.

Fair enough, thanks for the input.

Comment

I'm not a big gm guy but I'd go the 6.2. They get about the same mpg, and way better power in the 6.2. Either will do what you want it to though.

Comment

Torque is the biggest difference.
              They'll both get you there, but Gotta rev the 5.3 to do things that the 6.2 does at half the RPM

Comment

Thanks guys for all the great input. Another question, how many miles y’all try to get or put on these motors before looking for a new truck?

Comment

I had the 5.3. It couldn't pull a 26' snowmobile trailer that weighed 2600 lbs. The thing was either pegged at 5000 rpms or at 2000 and bogging down. Apart from that, it was fine. Not the most powerful, but definitely the most space around the engine should you ever have to work on it.

If someone tells you they get good mileage with the 5.3, they aren't hand calculating their mileage. I rarely got above 17 mpg.

I would go 6.2 if I could.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
                    Because their truck marketing team is a joke. There was that awffful reaper thing that was doomed from the start. I've been a GM guy since I got my driver's license but they haven't made anything "cool" in years. The vette is about the only thing appealing to me anymore.
                    It's not just their truck team trey...I have a 17 ZL1 & GM simply knocked it out of the park. There isn't anything that can come close to it in performance for the $$$ and a do all sports / muscle car. When was the last time you saw a commercial for a camaro any camaro?? It's better than the mustang / dodge when it comes left & right turns along with holding her own w/ the normal straight-line requirements, yet is likely going to be shelved with no Gen?? I don't understand why they put so much effort into making a winning product in a very competitive field, dominate with the produced goods at all the road courses & then don't support it with marketing?? It's such an easy iconic name to run with & been around for 52 years. They simply let ford & dodge take the entire market without even trying.

So, just to be clear GM can make the best vehicle in the category & still manage to crap on the camaro's importance by 'ignoring marketing completely'. We know they have the ability to design a truck many die hard GM guys are wanting, but decide against doing it correctly & basically 'ignoring the available market completely'??

Comment

I have a 2019 5.3 z71. It pulls what I pull which is a ranger crew on a 16 ft low boy, an 18 ft center console and a jon boat. No complaints. On Highway I get 20-22 mpg. In town and highway 17-18 mpg and it’s just getting broke in. With 8500 miles on it. But if I coulda afforded the 6.2 ida went with that

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
                        Fair enough, thanks for the input.

I feel about the same way as BayouBoy does about the engine. Mine lives without a trailer 98% of the time as it’s my company truck. I occasionally pull a 12’ tandem axle with Can Am on the back or large smoker pit trailer though for company functions. This is my 5th or 6th 5.3. Hopefully my last. The 98% of the time it doesn’t have a trailer is just fine, but it’s not near as fun to drive as a 6.2, F-150 of any flavor, or a Dodge 5.7.

Comment

I've heard the term "bulletproof" used when describing the 6.2.

The ZL1 Camaro crowd routinely push 800+ HP through both the LSA(580HP stock) and the LT4(650HP stock) all done with tunes and minor addons - no internal upgrades. Pretty sure it's the same base they use in the pick ups.

Comment

If you worried about gas mileage then the 6.2 isn't for you. My real fuel numbers 15 mpg mixed driving and 10 when pulling trailers. I have 33" tall tires with a 6.5' bed and 1000# of tools in the toolbox. You may want to look at the new turbo charged 4 cylinder or the diesel if you are wanting fuel mileage. I personally love the 6.2 and may buy another one soon, I have 145000 miles on my 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                              I feel about the same way as BayouBoy does about the engine. Mine lives without a trailer 98% of the time as it’s my company truck. I occasionally pull a 12’ tandem axle with Can Am on the back or large smoker pit trailer though for company functions. This is my 5th or 6th 5.3. Hopefully my last. The 98% of the time it doesn’t have a trailer is just fine, but it’s not near as fun to drive as a 6.2, F-150 of any flavor, or a Dodge 5.7.

I hear ya my search started last time I was in Montana and the hub on my Ram 2500 went out. While waiting on it too be fixed I was looking at the Ram Rebel with a buddy who drives a ‘17 sliverado that was also down (That job whopped on us pretty good [emoji23][emoji23]).

Bored we went and harassed car dealers. Took a test drive in a rebel and buddy who’s Chevy too the bone even said the 5.7 had some pep compared to his 1500. While I love Cummins diesels I’ve had bad luck with dodge electrical in the past and the GM’s had more cab space then the Rebel did.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                                I had the 5.3. It couldn't pull a 26' snowmobile trailer that weighed 2600 lbs. The thing was either pegged at 5000 rpms or at 2000 and bogging down. Apart from that, it was fine. Not the most powerful, but definitely the most space around the engine should you ever have to work on it.

If someone tells you they get good mileage with the 5.3, they aren't hand calculating their mileage. I rarely got above 17 mpg.

I would go 6.2 if I could.
                                My fuel is tracked via fleet fuel tracker. I’ve tracked the last 4 5.3s this was for a total of 450k miles. All 4 of my trucks have gotten right around 18 for the life of the truck that I kept it. The lowest was 17.5 or 17.6. The highest has been about 18.6-18.7. That tracks every single mile I put on the truck from day one.

Comment

Working...
                                X