No announcement yet.

What's the best 7mm cartridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a safe full of 7mm Rem Mag's, so I obviously like them a lot!

I am however toying with the idea of building a "ultralight" long range rifle for hunting the high country mule deer and elk out west and I'm considering the Nosler 28 and 195 Berger combo Jake mentions above. I want the rifle as compact as possible, but will have to stay with a 26" barrel length to justify the chambering, other wise the additional powder and recoil are wasted. With the 7mm Rem Mag a 24" barrel is good.

Are you also looking to go the lightweight route? Just another consideration...

Comment

If I wanted to shoot a lot I'd have to run with the good ol 7mag. All the money saved on that as well as ammo (unless you reload) would be put towards better mounts/optics.

Comment

I am shooting the 7 STW at 3050 fps love that gun have shot it out to 1800 yrds it does great ! using the 168 gr Berger hunting VLD's

Comment

I'm not looking for lightweight. I'm looking for a weight that will help with recoil and yet not be so heavy that I don't consider taking it hunting. I have a 7.3lb 270wsm that goes on the backpacking hunts or an even lighter hill country harvester in .270win. I want this to be my best all-arounder and it will likely see much more hunting than steel shooting though I will practice enough with it to be proficient out to 600 or so yds if needed.

I do reload guys...

Comment

Originally posted by Winman View Post
            7STW is a wonderful flat shooting long range cartridge. But,don't sell the 280SO short. It's a great cartridge as well....and more economical to shoot.
            Should read.....280 AI.......autocorrect got me....

Comment

I've played around the the 7STW and now shoot a 7RM that I love.

All of the above are great rounds, I'd look at the 7Nos/7RM as 1a and b followed closely by the 280AI.

One more thought, the 7Nos will take an Ultra-mag action or extensive machine work by your smith. It would be awesome with the 180's or that new 195 from Berger.

Comment

What velocities are you guys who shoot the 280AI getting with 168 and 180 grain bullets?

Comment

define the word "best".....

Comment

Originally posted by ltsheets View Post
                    I'm not looking for lightweight. I'm looking for a weight that will help with recoil and yet not be so heavy that I don't consider taking it hunting. I have a 7.3lb 270wsm that goes on the backpacking hunts or an even lighter hill country harvester in .270win. I want this to be my best all-arounder and it will likely see much more hunting than steel shooting though I will practice enough with it to be proficient out to 600 or so yds if needed.

I do reload guys...
                    The 280Ai is getting closer to your recoil needs...the straight taper case reduces recoil tremendously. It's right there with the 7mm mag with about 25% less recoil.

I shoot light bullets (120gr Barnes)...has way less recoil than any 270 I have shot. My build is along the lines of sendero model +/-, Good luck.

Comment

STW all the way no question

Comment

280AI and nosler makes some decent ammo if you don't reload.

5 shot group with the nosler ammo. 1st low shot was a clean/cold bore shot during barrel break in. I was going reload but the nosler ammo surprised me so found some on sale and bought more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1339.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	24420777

Comment

impressive for factory ammo. custom build?

Comment

Lazzeroni Firebird if you can afford one.

All Lazzeroni rifles are guaranteed to shoot minute of angle or less to 600+ yards with proper bullet/scope selection.
                            Last edited by muzzlebrake; 12-17-2015, 09:57 AM.

Comment

7 STW, I love mine.....would never get rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ltsheets View Post
                                impressive for factory ammo. custom build?
                                yes custom build. built off a rem 700 action and Krieger barrel. just completed it but I don't have any good pic's on my phone to post.

Comment

Working...
                                X