What's the best 7mm cartridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the best 7mm cartridge?

So I've decided that the next rifle I have built will be 7mm variant. I'm leaning 28 Nosler, 7mm STW, or a good ole 7mm mag. I'm open to any and all suggestions. It will be for both steel shooting out to 1000+ yards and hunting. I just want to hear any and all opinions of the pros and cons of any 7mm cartridges you guys like. Thanks in advance.

7mm rem mag if you don't reload. 28 nosler of you do.

Comment

If 7mag makes the list and you reload then look at 280 AI real hard

Comment

Do you handload? If not then the Rem Mag is your best choice. It may very well be even if you do...

If you don't have a reason NOT to use the tried and true 7mm Rem Mag, then it's probably your best bet.

I love the nostalgic 7mm STW and could love the new Nosler, as it's a sexy beast! '
        They will both be costlier in every way than the good ol' Rem Mag though. If you don't actually need that extra power...

Comment

There's a lot of options. The 7 Dakota is up there too. And the LRM. I'll be building a 7 mag soon though. Just waiting on my barrel and stock to be built.

Comment

Faster=flater
            Faster = more barrel wear

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
              Faster=flater
              Faster = more barrel wear
              Not always. Take the 6.5 SAUM for example. It's all in the design.

Comment

7STW is a wonderful flat shooting long range cartridge. But,don't sell the 280SO short. It's a great cartridge as well....and more economical to shoot.
                Last edited by Winman; 12-16-2015, 09:11 PM.

Comment

If I only had one gun, it would be the 7 STW.

Comment

280ai

Comment

Originally posted by bustacap View Post
                      280ai
                      yep...the 280AI is tough to beat!!

If you want the king of speed, that would be the 7mm Lazzeroni or 7.21 Firebird.

Comment

Yes I do reload gents and it would be more of a long rang hunting hammer than steel shooter. I have a 6.5x284 that's more for steel and practice than hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by ltsheets View Post
                          So I've decided that the next rifle I have built will be 7mm variant. I'm leaning 28 Nosler, 7mm STW, or a good ole 7mm mag. I'm open to any and all suggestions. It will be for both steel shooting out to 1000+ yards and hunting. I just want to hear any and all opinions of the pros and cons of any 7mm cartridges you guys like. Thanks in advance.
                          Do you need something so overbore? A 7mm-08 with Hornady 162 AMax stays supersonic to 1300 yards.

Do you plan to shoot a lot? If so, you'll be re-barelling a lot with a 28 Nosler.

Hunting at what range? I can see wanting more gun for hunting at longer ranges, but if you're not hunting beyond 400 yards, I'd again suggest a 7mm-08.

Good info on some 7mm here: http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html

LWD

Comment

I have a 7LRM and like it. 180 Berger at 3120 with 28" barrel. I like the 28 Nosler as well. Figure out what bullet you want to shoot and go from there. For extreme long range, I would look at the new 195's out of the 28 Nosler with a 1:8.5 twist.

Comment

I am a big 7mm fan. I just finished a 7mm Rem Mag that weighs in at 12lbs. It is a little heavy for spot and stalk style. My next project will be a 7mm-08 AI for the wife then a 280AI for me. Both of those will me tailored more towards spot and stalk hunting rigs.

Comment

Working...
                              X