Half-tough pulled pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half-tough pulled pork

I had a strange outcome on some hind quarter I smoked last week.

Put the leg on the smoker, kept the fire at a 225 F for 4 hours. Last 2 hours I put a remote thermostat in, took the leg up to 150F then wrapped in foil and put in oven at 220 F for 4 more hours until internal temp hit 203 F and I took it out.

Let it rest in a cooler on towels for 1.5 hours, then I took it out. At 180F, the collagen is supposed to liquefy if cooked slowly. Which it was. But when I pulled the pork, most of it pulled apart nicely but one muscle group which was tough. I thought it was rather odd. That muscle I put in the crockpot with potatoes, carrots, garlic and barley and cooked overnight to salvage it.

Was it just a tough hog, or is 203F just too low?

- Edit -
    The stew of the tough muscle was excellent. The meat was tender and the flavors outstanding. Which tells me it needed more time. But still, 203F should have done the trick.
    Last edited by TheBeekeeper; 01-24-2021, 05:37 PM.

Just curious how big was the pig?

Comment

I doubt longer would have helped. Maybe just a poor hog (lean).

Comment

Originally posted by lovetohunt View Post
        Just curious how big was the pig?
        I killed so many in October I don't know which one it was. One crazy night I shot 5 with my shotgun, 110 120, 140lb and two piglets. The smallest one I'm willing to butcher is 100lb.

Cutting board in photo is 17" long. I'd think the leg is 8-10lb.
        Last edited by TheBeekeeper; 01-24-2021, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Usually only smoke the shoulders...either grind the hams, chicken fry thin or cure and smoke as they tend to be much leaner

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by menglert View Post
            Usually only smoke the shoulders...either grind the hams, chicken fry thin or cure and smoke as they tend to be much leaner
            I was researching curing the hams just last week. What is your method on that?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBeekeeper View Post
              I was researching curing the hams just last week. What is your method on that?
              I typically debone trying to keep them as whole as possible then do a simple brine similar to this:

I vacuum pack mine in large bags with a manual seal as it takes less space in the beer fridge and let them cure about a week, you would need to go longer if you leave the bone in. Once cured rinse and let sit in tje fridge over night and then smoke at around 200 until IT of 160 finishing with a honey glaze. When done try and cool quickly, i usually throw in the deep freeze a while then slice thin.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by menglert View Post
                I typically debone trying to keep them as whole as possible then do a simple brine similar to this:

I vacuum pack mine in large bags with a manual seal as it takes less space in the beer fridge and let them cure about a week, you would need to go longer if you leave the bone in. Once cured rinse and let sit in tje fridge over night and then smoke at around 200 until IT of 160 finishing with a honey glaze. When done try and cool quickly, i usually throw in the deep freeze a while then slice thin.
                Hmmm. That wasn't what I was expecting that is more of a cooking process. I was going towards a curing/preserving. Salt box, then smoke then hang without refrigeration for a year or 2.

Comment

Working...
                X