Knee replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knee replacement

Getting a new knee on Wednesday. What should I be expecting? How long before I can get up and around?

In. I need em now.

Comment

They had my buddy up and walking the same day.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I had mine done in Dec. 2012, and I walked 9 holes of golf, with pull cart, on April 13.

The key is to start a good rehab program, as soon as you can. I was walking a mile a day, within four days of getting home. Was walking 3 miles a day, within ten days.

I use the passive motion machine, for 3 hours a day, from the beginning. The was great to reduce the swelling. I did lots and lots of stretching, leg lifts, etc, from day one.

Was able to finally turn a complete cycle on a stationary bike, after two weeks. Then added about 30 minutes of cycling per day.

Comment

They will make you get up the day of surgery. You will be walking in no time. Physical therapy is very important. I was walking pretty good in 3 months. Complete recovery was 2 years for me. Best thing I have ever done, I had both of mine replaced 02/05/2015.

Good Luck!

Comment

You are in for alot of pain when the meds wear off. Stay ahead of it and dont skip pain killers. Push yourself in rehab and do exactly what they tell you.

You are in for a better life once healed!

Comment

They had me up standing on it in the recovery room. Walked down the hall and back to physical therapy the next two days. I used a walker for a couple of weeks as a precaution. After that I was walking on my own.

Comment

That’s what I keep hearing, that my life will be so much better; however, my buddy had his done and he couldn’t kneel on it. Doc also told me I wouldn’t be able to run on the treadmill anymore. I’m 65 and on a good day I can run over 3.5 miles on the treadmill. Really don’t wanna give that up. Doc told me the last time I saw him that he couldn’t keep giving me steroid injections. Said it was eating up my remaining cartilage

Comment

I've had two knee surgeries & spent a lot of time in rehab with people that had total knee replacements. When taking to them most said the only regret was they didn't do it sooner. They always progressed much faster than me and according to the therapist it was because they had all new shiny parts in there & I was trying to work with damaged goods.

Main thing is it listen to the doc & therapist. They're young to push you and it will be painful, but worth it in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

It will help from what I hear, just keep in mind it is not a forever knee.
                    I need two replacements but my Dr says I'm too young.. only 56.
                    Good luck and hope ya heal fast.

This is cut n pasted from Google below.
                    "Patients need to be aware that while artificial joint replacements are successful, they don't last forever," he says. There is roughly a 90% chance that an artificial joint will last 10 years, "so if you are 50 or 60 when you undergo your first surgery, you should expect to undergo a revision surgery."

Comment

If you were my dad I would have you up and walking same day. The first 2 weeks following surgery are crucial. As a PT your therapist should be aggressive and push you. Tell them you are active and do not want to give up those activities. Also, if your goal is to run on treadmill then I am all for it! People who have goals such as yours typically have better outcomes... plus it gives us something to work towards! If you have any other questions shoot me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine was done in 2007, had me up and walking next morning.

From my Make Believe World

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                          Mine was done in 2007, had me up and walking next morning.

From my Make Believe World

Until it got infected and I had to follow you around deer camp with an IV bottle and load your deer that you shot [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s encouraging Hunt.

Comment

Had mine done in Jan 2020. Depending on what time you have your surgery they may have yo up and walking on it that day. Mine was late in the day so I did not get up on it until 14 hours after surgery. You will have some pain for about 6 months, then it will start to taper off. They told me i would have pain for about a year. The only time I have pain now is if I overdo it and stand on it for a long time.
                              Start your PT as soon as you get out of the hospital and work thru the pain while you do it. If you don't then scar tissue will form and you will have a lot of pain and little mobility. I cannot kneel on mine but I get by.
                              Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X