USMC Stepbro advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
    Yes, Let them teach him, they will teach him all he needs to know. If it was me, I would be careful because there is only one way, the Marine Corp way when dealing with the Marines. But it is nice of you to want to help him.
    This is correct advice. Some of the best marksman in the Military had never touched a firearm and followed the instructions in boot to the “T”.

Comment

CWendling: Might as well offer the DI a stick of gum while he is at it. lol

Hogmauler: It only hurt while they were nocking you around. I am glad I went in and would do it again. I heard the new Marines get a time out card when they don't like how they are spoken to. Any newer Marines out there confirm this? I do know about 8 years ago my nephew was in the Marines and about half way thru boot camp the DI took the platoon to a baseball game in San Diego.

Comment

Tell him to run and run some more. When he finishes that go run. As mentioned about talk to his recruiter about getting a current "essentials for Marines" or "Marine handbook" for him to study. If he has not had any experience with firearms leave it to the Primary Marksmanship Instructor to teach him to shoot. It is really hard to break bad habits once they are learned. I still struggle with bad habits. There is a reason many "city folk" and WMs (women Marines) qualify expert, they don't have bad habits to break. Tell him to keep his eyes and ears open and his mouth shut. Everything is done for a reason and do everything as fast as possible without stressing out. It is faster to slow down and do things right than fumble around trying to be fast. Looking back bootcamp was funny as hell. What every you do, do not send him prophylactics in the mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Stewart View Post

Hogmauler: It only hurt while they were nocking you around. I am glad I went in and would do it again. I heard the new Marines get a time out card when they don't like how they are spoken to. Any newer Marines out there confirm this? I do know about 8 years ago my nephew was in the Marines and about half way thru boot camp the DI took the platoon to a baseball game in San Diego.
          They didn't 3 years ago at OCS according to our boy. Just stiff competition and a high wash out rate.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

The Military phrase for what you are saying down there is “don’t get in a hurry, do everything as you normally would, only faster !”.

Originally posted by W-O View Post
            Tell him to run and run some more. When he finishes that go run. As mentioned about talk to his recruiter about getting a current "essentials for Marines" or "Marine handbook" for him to study. If he has not had any experience with firearms leave it to the Primary Marksmanship Instructor to teach him to shoot. It is really hard to break bad habits once they are learned. I still struggle with bad habits. There is a reason many "city folk" and WMs (women Marines) qualify expert, they don't have bad habits to break. Tell him to keep his eyes and ears open and his mouth shut. Everything is done for a reason and do everything as fast as possible without stressing out. It is faster to slow down and do things right than fumble around trying to be fast. Looking back bootcamp was funny as hell. What every you do, do not send him prophylactics in the mail.

Comment

hope he stays safe

Comment

My friends son graduated less than 2 yrs ago and there were no stress cards as i had also heard rumors of the same thing. The DIs do, however, only do knife hands and arent 'supposed' to strike the recruits. That may or may not still happen ha. They also dont qualify with irons anymore and they dont shine shoes. Issued corfams and desert boots. It was cool to see MCRD and Camp Pendleton again 25 years later. MCRD hadnt really changed but Pendleton and Oceanside sure had

Comment

Couple of questions. Remember now I went was in in 1967.

What are knife hands?

And what is don't qualify with irons any more?

Last time I was back at MCRD was 1972.

Comment

I can’t believe these folks are getting time out cards, calling their D I by their first name, taken to a baseball game?! That’s total b s. We were so isolated that the only way we knew Nixon resigned was that our “chain of command “ changed”.
                    Our first force March was from The rifle range to I T S. I believe that was 25 miles. And we had one canteen of water. Some guys drank theirs within the first mile. On top of that we carried M60,s and ammo cans full of nothing but rocks. Then at the end was, do you jar heads remember? Mount M F. And it was.
                    My D I was involved in the killing of the recruit that should have never been in the Marine Corps. I think he got beat severely with pugil sticks and later died.
                    And yes, looking back, I’d do it all over again and was proud to have served our country.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                      Spending hours around a barrel snapping in...good times.

Tell him to be the fastest he can be, loudest he can be, not be a range safety violator and not be an integrity violator and he will do fine. Qual day is not a day to F with your gear. I had a buddy on qual day decide to change dial on his front sight post...UNQ.

Fight to be on one of the first relays right off the bat during range week...especially not an afternoon relay...especially on qual day. Wind and heat kicks up quickly...no matter the coast.

Semper Fidelis.
                      FixedSpake from DQ to UNQ.

Comment

I cant seem to recall the name...but there is an old black and white Marine movie that shows the pits and the rifle range. I was amazed how little the pits and rifle training drills had changed from 50 some years prior to my entry.

I dont think it was “Tell it to the Marines”...maybe.

Comment

The more shooting he does the better.

HIS LIFE(and those around him) DEPENDS ON IT!

Just teach him good practices. barrel down range, finger off the trigger etc.

Comment

Couple of questions. Remember now I went was in in 1967.

What are knife hands?

And what is don't qualify with irons any more?

Last time I was back at MCRD was 1972.

Knife hands [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voGM2UOR4vc"]WHAT IS A MARINE CORPS KNIFE HAND??? - YouTube[/ame] Its kind of a joke, but sad. DIs were instructed to stop pointing at recruits a few years back as it was insulting or something.

They dont qual with iron sights on their rifles anymore. They do familiarization, but quals are with their trijicon optics on the rifle

Comment

Wow! What a difference 47 years makes!

Comment

Thanks guys. I qualified with an M-14 shooting 200, 300 and 500 meters.

Comment

Working...
                                X