Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow hunting hogs at night - gear?

Originally posted by TexasRough1256 View Post
    Did you say you use a light in order to see your peep better?

No... the actual pin tip. Like I said above.. the peep is a non-issue. Non changes required for it .

Comment

I just picked up a Cabelas 900 lumen predator light with a green/red light lens that also mounts to my stabilizer. Im sure its going to take some getting used to.

Oh and while I was there I picked up .40, .223 and .243 rounds! Score!

Comment

Moon, Longbow and stay downwind.

Comment

Wind in your face. A big moon helps a lot. Extra corn. Lighted nocks. Good flashlight-a headlamp will come in handy getting around in the dark. Night hunting for hogs is my favorite thing ever. Don’t do it enough though. Film it. Safe hunting.

Comment

Bow hunting hogs at night - gear?

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            I use the SniperHogLight bow mounted 38LRX. No changes on my peep required, but I do need to use the light on my peep. I can shoot it without it on in a pinch but the light makes it so much easier to know exactly where the end of the pin is instead of a silhouette. Its a solid combination.

Well crud.... I just had it pointed out to me the reason for the confusion . The “I do need to use the light on my peep” should be “light on my pin”. Sorry for the confusion ...Not sure how or why I screwed the wording there. Must have been multitasking.[emoji23][emoji23]. I do not have a light on my peep so it was purely a brain fart.. [emoji2359]
            Last edited by Smart; 01-27-2021, 07:10 AM.

Comment

I use the truglo rail with a cheap green light and no peep.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Can’t emphasize enough practicing at night. Didn’t see if you were gonna be in the tree or a blind. First few times hunting for me after dark was a learning experience.

Comment

It's simple--I have a photocell controlled white light at the feeder and a pin light on my bow sight. You just have to pay attention to your peep and don't try to use a tiny peep--get one big enough to see through in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                    It's simple--I have a photocell controlled white light at the feeder and a pin light on my bow sight. You just have to pay attention to your peep and don't try to use a tiny peep--get one big enough to see through in the dark.
                    Don't have a good pic of the view of the feeder from the stand--
                    Last edited by dustoffer; 01-27-2021, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Well I got an earlier chance to hunt and went out last night for the first time. It was certainly a learning experience.

I got in the tree stand about 5:30, overlooking a feeder with lights, wind in my face and big bright moon. 3.5 hours in the hunt and in come a group of 5-6 hogs feeding under the feeder. I lit my nock, turned on my pin light and my bow light. I slowly dropped the light on them from the top like you guys suggested. They did not move or get spooked, I drew back and realized that it was a completely different feeling not being able to see my peep. Again, it was my first time and literally had no practice. I could see the hog and pins but not exactly sure where I lined up on my housing and peep. After a few adjustments and finding my anchor point and waiting for the right shot opportunity I sent one. Bam! Connected! I see the hog run off with my arrow still stuck in him (no pass through obviously). He runs and does a circle dance, then heads in to the brush about 60 yards away. I can see the nock light still lit and he's sort of of stopped in one area, lingering, hopefully about to lay down and die. I keep a close eye on him and can see he’s still sort of moving then eventually I lose sight of the nock light. I’m thinking, he laid down and died. I give it 1.5 hours and go search for him. I can see major blood loss on the grass and brush, I follow it and the last drop of blood is literally at the bank of a river (a fork of the Trinity River). I searched for almost 2 hours and came to the conclusion that he crossed the river and went in to the neighbor’s property. Going to look for it again today but Im pretty sure he's not on the property I’m hunting.

I’m thinking I hit him high on the shoulder, it’s hard to tell in the dark.

One thing is for sure, it's definitely a whole different ball game hunting them at night. I’m hooked!

Last edited by piercebronkite; 01-27-2021, 01:52 PM.

Comment

If the feeder light is bright enough you will be fine with just a truglo sight light that has a dimmer for $20. Lighted nocks are a must in my opinion and I use a 1/4" peep. Its a lot of fun!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

The feeder light is not that bright, the bow light did help a lot.

Comment

love to bow hunt hogs

Comment

I got some glo in the dark paint and put a small dot at the top, bottom, left and right of my peep. Did the same on the knots of my d loop and on the calipers of my release as it’s darn near impossible for me to hook it up in the pitch black darkness of my blind. I have an adjustable pin light. I use it on it’s lowest setting.

I don’t practice enough so the visible peep helps me find a consistent anchor. I’m fortunate to have a red sniper hog light that lights up my feeder very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Went again last night and sat in a tree stand for 5 hours. First couple of hours I had a group of hogs about 35 yards away but they were covered up in trees and I didn't have a shot opportunity. Couple of hours later this lone boar came out. Ranged him at 32 yards, dropped the light over his head and sent an arrow for a full pass through. He ran about 30 yards and expired.

Last edited by piercebronkite; 01-28-2021, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X