Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-08-2019, 10:50 AM   #1
LovinTxHuntin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas
Default How would you confront a trespasser?

Politely ask them to get off your land or call the law and make them wait ?
LovinTxHuntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 10:51 AM   #2
MacDaddy67
Ten Point

Depends on. What she looks like
MacDaddy67 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
bigbad243
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fredericksburg and Hye Texas

Gunpoint and wait for the law.
bigbad243 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Molatov cocktail
eastxhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 10:54 AM   #5
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

depends heavily on the circumstances.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 10:54 AM   #6
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Anderson County, Montgomery County, Rusk County, Polk County, and Throckmorton County

Totally would depends on the specific situation. If they had a gun and were hunting my land, they would be going to jail.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
slicktricker
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Grayson Co Public Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
Agree
slicktricker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
Blank
Six Point

Hunt In: Entire Mountain West, South Texas

Depends. Do you have fences, gates, properly posted No Hunting or No Tresspassing signs. Could they be there on accident?? I'd start with a friendly but stern conversation and warning. See how they react. They leave - good. They get snotty about it - GW and/or Sherriff
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 11:02 AM   #9
J Wales
Six Point

Hunt In: Taylor County, Colorado and NM

Interesting question. If they are armed and you are armed, it could escalate quickly.

A few years ago, my 16 year old nephew thought he saw someone sneaking through the woods when he was hunting the back side of our place. The following morning on his way to the blind, he drove over a hill and there were two guys in camo with rifles walking, on our property, toward one of our blinds. My nephew turned the truck around and came back to get us.

I'm glad he turned around and didn't confront them.

We never saw the guys again. We called the game warden and he came out to look around. He was going to do some follow up investigating, but I don't know what ever came of it.
J Wales is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 11:03 AM   #10
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank View Post
Depends. Do you have fences, gates, properly posted No Hunting or No Tresspassing signs. Could they be there on accident?? I'd start with a friendly but stern conversation and warning. See how they react. They leave - good. They get snotty about it - GW and/or Sherriff
same here
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #11
TX_Hoghunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Harper, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank View Post
Just for the record you do not have to post a sign on Texas. Just having it fenced for livestock will do.

"(B) fencing or other enclosure obviously designed to exclude intruders or to contain livestock;"

On the question at hand. I would just go talk to them to see what was up. It might be a neighbor looking for his cows, someone that shot a deer and is looking for it, someone with a hunting dog loose. Could be a lot of different things that I would be ok with. After talking to them and gaining some details I would then decide what I needed to do.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #12
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

Agree w/ depends on the circumstances.

A long time ago i was on a lease out by Garden City. The first lease i was ever on. I and my partners had hunted public land up to that point. Doing so, you get used to having people walk up on you, etc. I'm in my blind one afternoon and hear a shot behind me. What? Who's shooting out here? Then it dawns on me that i'm not on public land anymore. I glass back and see a truck on the ranch road, with i kid walking down the road shooting. I'm probably a half mile away. So, i finish my hunt and tell my buddy what happened when he picked me up. We found the shell casings and a trash bag tied on a mesquite tree. Couldn't find the animal. Go to camp and tell the lease boss. He says the guy will be back at 8:00 to pick up his kill. So, a herd of armed hunters, at least half drunk, heads to the scene of the crime at 7:00. Scatter into the brush. At 7:45 we see headlights in the distance. The guy finally gets there. One helluva an argument breaks out. The guy has his kid in the truck. Kid crying like a banshee. Me, fearing a gun battle is about to break out, and being one of the few sober ones around, grabs one of my buddies two sons and gets behind a truck. (Call me a coward, i'm not getting shot in that situation.) The poacher puts the truck in reverse and leaves. Luckily no one does anything stupid. The next morning we find the antelope the kid shot. Call the Game Warden. Give description, etc. Don't know what happened after that. One of the scariest things i've ever been involved in. Poachers suck.

Last edited by mikemorvan; 11-08-2019 at 11:23 AM.
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #13
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

If you don't go out armed and hold them at gunpoint until the sheriff's posse gets there you ain't a real man!!!!

Seriously though... it really depends on the circumstances. The only universal answer I could give is to act in whatever is your own best interest.
Jspradley is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #14
Big Red 82
Ten Point

Let em hunt ive decided there are no deer this year due to the hogs. Lol
Big Red 82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #15
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Id just ask them to leave if I didn’t want them there.

If it was a kid hunting or fishing, I wouldn’t even run them off. Just let them know the situation and make sure that they were safe. We have a river on our deer camp and I won’t run anyone off of it.

Calling the law and escalating the situation just isn’t something I’d do unless something crazy happened. It’d be an especially bad idea for an absentee land owner, in my opinion.
Razrbk89 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 11:29 AM   #16
Hunter Dan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

I would detain them with a gun to the head until authorities arrive. My place is high fence so if I caught them shooting it might be worse for them.
Hunter Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 11:36 AM   #17
dphillips62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mission Valley, Victoria, and anywhere else I can sling an arrow

No need to call anyone or confront them I have alligators that appreciate a good meal every now and then
dphillips62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #18
Radar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandora

I had one a while back, he was about 16 or so. I walked up on him and I could tell he was scared, he started crying. I was real nice and asked him what he was doing and he said his dog was missing. The kid said he was worried someone might shoot his dog and he wanted to find it before it got hurt. He told me where he lived and we started walking toward his house which was a 1/4 mile away, we got to his driveway and his dad showed up on an ATV with his dog. The dog had ventured down to another neighbor and his dad caught him. Just a little old beagle dog that had got out of their yard.

I was polite but made it a point to give them my business card and to call me in the future if something like that happened again. They are new around here so I really do not know anything about them. I did explain where my property boundaries are, that there are trail cams and I did not want anyone out there. Hope they got the message, but you never know for sure.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #19
Farmdog
Ten Point

Trash dumping is all the way out of control in RGV, that’s a different level, fisherman are allowed a pass if no guns are found, fourwheelers are tolerated sorta
Farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #20
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

I had the bird and turtle man wait for the trespasser to come back to his vehicle last turkey season. Cuffed him when I provided video footage of him trespassing with a firearm. **** turkeys will make a man break the law I guess.....
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #21
Kelmat
Four Point

Hunt In: Shelby county

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorvan View Post
Agree w/ depends on the circumstances.

A long time ago i was on a lease out by Garden City. The first lease i was ever on. I and my partners had hunted public land up to that point. Doing so, you get used to having people walk up on you, etc. I'm in my blind one afternoon and hear a shot behind me. What? Who's shooting out here? Then it dawns on me that i'm not on public land anymore. I glass back and see a truck on the ranch road, with i kid walking down the road shooting. I'm probably a half mile away. So, i finish my hunt and tell my buddy what happened when he picked me up. We found the shell casings and a trash bag tied on a mesquite tree. Couldn't find the animal. Go to camp and tell the lease boss. He says the guy will be back at 8:00 to pick up his kill. So, a herd of armed hunters, at least half drunk, heads to the scene of the crime at 7:00. Scatter into the brush. At 7:45 we see headlights in the distance. The guy finally gets there. One helluva an argument breaks out. The guy has his kid in the truck. Kid crying like a banshee. Me, fearing a gun battle is about to break out, and being one of the few sober ones around, grabs one of my buddies two sons and gets behind a truck. (Call me a coward, i'm not getting shot in that situation.) The poacher puts the truck in reverse and leaves. Luckily no one does anything stupid. The next morning we find the antelope the kid shot. Call the Game Warden. Give description, etc. Don't know what happened after that. One of the scariest things i've ever been involved in. Poachers suck.
The lease boss knew the guy was hunting on the property?
Kelmat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #22
DirtyDave
Ten Point

Start polite and go from there.
DirtyDave is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 12:19 PM   #23
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

I have a buddy who went up to his moms propety and had the neighbor jump over his fence with a .44 mag to question him about trspassing. If he wouldnt have had his kiddo with him...the neighbor would be dead.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #24
whakm
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma, we'll see how this goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
Good advice. Always easier than the other way around. That never ends well.
whakm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 12:32 PM   #25
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelmat View Post
The lease boss knew the guy was hunting on the property?
The lease boss was an old timer who knew the habits of poachers. Supposedly the Game Wardens knew who the guy was based on our description. Never heard what happened.
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 12:37 PM   #26
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
Works 99% of the time. Have the Game warden's cell in your phone contacts just in case. Unless they are trespassing in my home, guns aren't required.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 12:41 PM   #27
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

25 year old me would be hostile, but the 42 year old me is way more layed back. At the end of the day things can escalate too darn quickly and it just isn't worth it most of the time. I'm doing everything I can to come home to my family at night!
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #28
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

Observe and report.

I have always wondered about the folks that talk about detaining them. If you tell them to stay put because the po-po is on the way how do you plan on making them stay there? Shoot them in the leg? Whip him....what if he decides to do the whipping instead?
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 01:31 PM   #29
retrieverman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I would want to assess the situation before rushing in half cocked, but given that a trespasser during hunting season will more than likely be armed, so would I and preferably better armed.
retrieverman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 01:45 PM   #30
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

There could be more than the one or two you see. You may be in someone's scope, even if you think you are the one better armed.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 01:58 PM   #31
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

We had some 'poachers' on our family land years ago. A truckload of folks came near the house and four guys got out. I walked up top them and asked if they were lost. It turns out my beloved great uncle had sold them a hunting opportunity on his sister's land. He was still butthurt about the way the land was divided the previous year. Well, he apparently failed to mention to these guys that he no longer had title to this part of the land. They left without incident.

Now last year, I was hunting alone and I see headlights coming down the ranch road right about dark. I'm in a blind and notice that the truck stopped. When I got down, I stalked up to it and it and no one was in the truck. I slipped up to the house and called the GW. He got all excited and jumped in his car - 14 miles away in Llano. About that time, the truck drives slowly by the house and the GW asks if I'm comfortable following it. I grabbed my .45 and followed from a safe distance. A few minutes the GW and other various LEs intercepted them. Turns out they were ranch hands from the neighboring ranch cutting through our ranch. They claimed they never got out of the truck but I found the empty truck. The GW came to the ranch and we looked for any evidence that they has poached but found nada. That was a strange night and no I hadn't been drinking!

Confronting trespassers is so dependent on the circumstances and would never be worth dying over to me.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #32
catslayer
Pope & Young

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
Yep...
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #33
Worksalot
Ten Point

Hunt In: The woods

A couple friends and I confronted two trespassers on the friends’ ranch. We approached them slowly and asked them politely to not come back. They were repeat trespassers. I never would’ve expected such a heated encounter. One of the trespassers started screaming at us. They finally left on foot. It was puzzling why the one individual acted so angrily to the point of almost becoming violent.
Worksalot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #34
Radar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
Observe and report.

I have always wondered about the folks that talk about detaining them. If you tell them to stay put because the po-po is on the way how do you plan on making them stay there? Shoot them in the leg? Whip him....what if he decides to do the whipping instead?
I think a lot of that is tough talk same with shooting dogs and cats. Some guys probably had to do dishes or go get tampons and they angry.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:58 PM   #35
Hunteraudit
Eight Point

Depends on the situation. There would absolutely be a discussion. And I wouldn’t initiate any contact unless I was confident I had the upper hand. Things can get physical quick.
Hunteraudit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 03:14 PM   #36
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I think a lot of that is tough talk same with shooting dogs and cats. Some guys probably had to do dishes or go get tampons and they angry.
'

You may be onto something here.
Jspradley is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #37
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I've got lots of poachers stories. My family has been running the same deer lease in Hardin/Polk County for 50 years. Before I started running it in '89 my Grandfather and his brother ran it. His brother was also the Hardin County Constable. He wasn't nearly as nice to poachers as I have been . Every situation has been different though. Some ended with a hand shake, others with guns drawn, and trips to jail. I hate it, and wish I never saw a poacher. It's scary stuff.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #38
Mr. Whiskers
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

We have had stuff stolen off our lease to include my car hauler. There would be a confrontation
Mr. Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 04:36 PM   #39
Radar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
'

You may be onto something here.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:38 PM   #40
Rocket15
Six Point

Hunt In: Goliad, Dewitt

Like others said, start polite and see how it goes. They could be there for legitimate reason. We had surveyors working thru our place opening weekend for future pipeline. We talked with them and they were told by their company to not start before 9 and be off property by 2 due to deer season. I wouldnít want their job this time of year with all the trigger happy people out there. Whatís even worse is contracts havenít been signed, they have no keys to gates but are already making the right aways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rocket15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 04:43 PM   #41
Farmdog
Ten Point

I had a guy at the whitewing hunt this year standing right along side my friends killing birds with his son just fireing away and I asked who he was, Pablo Fielder assumed he belonged, that guy needed a ticket for being there so long, the field was waay too small for that nonsense
Farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 04:46 PM   #42
rvd
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Agree.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 04:48 PM   #43
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

I once caught a fully uniformed prison guard trespassing to fish. I let him go with a warning. I caught a guy with a gun in a deer stand. I took his gun and made him run to the gate and leave. I caught his buddy 15 minutes later and made him abandon his brand new Dodge dually (turned out to be Dad's truck) and run to the other gate. Both guys were college kids. I called the sheriff and a deputy came and got the truck and guns back to the rightful owners. Word spread and I didn't have many more problems.

When I say I made them run....I told them that they could have a two minute head start and then I was coming after them and that if my fat-*** caught them, they were never leaving. Scouts honor, those guys looked like broken field runners hauling butt across those pastures. I had no intentions of chasing them, but they didn't know that.

I never pressed charges on anyone though.

Last edited by curtintex; 11-08-2019 at 04:52 PM.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 04:55 PM   #44
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
I have a buddy who went up to his moms propety and had the neighbor jump over his fence with a .44 mag to question him about trspassing. If he wouldnt have had his kiddo with him...the neighbor would be dead.
and your buddy would probably be in prison......
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 05:00 PM   #45
Hardware
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Western US & Argentina

If on land without permission you'll be having a conversation with the law to explain why and also for documentation if it happens again.
Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 05:08 PM   #46
160class
Ten Point

Hunt In: Catarina, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Serious question, why?

The guy that ran up with the .44 mag jumped the fence (trespassing) with a weapon (felony), I am seriously wondering why you say that.

Great neighbor to have, but at the same time, he was still technically trespassing himself on someone elseís property with a weapon, while the other guy was taking his kids to see their grandmother.
160class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 05:18 PM   #47
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico - Shackelford - Callahan

In Parker county a few years back...

I had two of my cameras - one on my feeder, and another on an approaching trail - disappear during bow season.

The next week my bow stand disappeared....w.t.f.

Then first week of November, I find white hair under my feeder... blood... and drag marks heading onto the neighbors place... I know the neighbors and they don't hunt - so I was sure I was dealing with a pretty serious, and persistent, poacher. Probably teenagers with the stupidity of calling so much attention by stealing a bow stand.

2nd weekend of November, I was in my rifle blind, with the windows closed for scent control. I'm sure every other hunter in the county was in the woods on that day, as it was a Saturday afternoon, with a great N wind front blowing in. (refer back to these poachers were not smart)

I glass over the neighbors place and see movement about 100 yards away - two teenage kids in full camo w/ rifles.

They probably couldn't see inside my tinted windows, or they didn't look very hard, but the kids hid under a tree on the fenceline where they could see my feeder, and a big clearing on the neighbors ranch.

Not wanting an armed confrontation, I opened the window, snapped a couple quick pics with my long lense camera, and shouted over to them -"whats up guys???". I've never seen two kids run so fast in my life. I think one fell over a mesquite log in his escape and got a face full of dirt.

Next day, I pulled the tax cards/addresses for all the neighboring properties, and sent letters saying I had pictures of two teenage kids trespassing, and would only not turn them over to the Sherriff if my stolen items were returned. Sure enough - 2 days later the mother of the 2 teenage boys calls me crying, and says the boys were really sorry. She said the boys only shot a hog,(not true but whatever...) and my things would be brought to my gate the next morning.

Glad I handled it that way, as it looked like those kids were growing up with some strikes against them, - but I certainly wouldn't want to get in a throwdown over a trespassing issue.
walker1983 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 05:32 PM   #48
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Invite them over for dinner. Get to know them. Maybe they have some cool stories to share.
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 05:33 PM   #49
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I will make sure to inform my LEO buddy that if he would have shot a dude that jumped his fence and held him up with a 44mag on his own property ....that he can go to prison for that. Thanks for the helpful insight.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2019, 05:47 PM   #50
SaintBlaise
Six Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

I think you need to video the situation if possible...cya.
SaintBlaise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top