question for GS,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
    It isn't too uncommon to make a deal with another individual and then have them never show up.

So as a seller, is the item sold when you make the deal, or when you actually have the cash in hand?

A seller can never really know how serious a buyer is. How good is the word of a stranger?

So essentially, the buyer is saying hold this item for me, even if someone else comes along and offers more or the same price.

And as a seller, do you cancel your listing based on a verbal agreement - with no deposit?

I've bought and sold a lot of private sale stuff. To me, it has always been understood that the item is still for sale until cash changes hands. If you (or I) can't get to the item that day, you run the risk of somebody else getting it.

First come first served.

What would any retail sales organization do? They are going to sell it to the 1st individual who can pay.

We all know our word is good. The seller doesn't.
    Agree^^^. I have had a few buyers back out on me, no deal until deposit or cash in hand.

Comment

I'd let him sell it to the other guy for full price.

I get being hard up for cash and that $50 may have made a difference for him but to me, once I put someone at the top of the list to buy something its theirs unless they back out or their is some other pretty strong extenuating circumstance

Comment

More money is more money.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
          No Deal for me. Don't care what his story is. People can make up stories and have nice family photos. No need to creep on the guys profile. Even the Clinton's have nice family photos.......

He broke the agreement, it's gonna stay broke.
          It's a sale, not an auction to the highest bidder.
          This, done it before when someone tried that on me. Then he sent me back later saying he would do original deal,because other person stood him up. Told him find someone else, don't deal with people like you.

Comment

FB...……….I guess I would not put to much stake into anything on FB from folks I pretty much don't know. I notice the complaints on good ole tbh and shake my head from time to time...……..cant imagine how horrible FB transactions would be.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
              If a seller comes back, trying to hit me up for more than was agreed upon...............I'm out and he can eat it. I don't care what it might ultimately be worth, or what his personal situation might be at the moment. He set a price, and agreed upon a price.....should've been a done deal. That's how I roll, as a buyer and a seller. But then again, I usually always price/sell my stuff for less than it's probably worth, just to move it quickly.
              Well...then YOU would be out in that you wouldn’t be receiving the item.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand what you’re saying. If I personally made a deal then I would darn sure honor it but I’ve also been burned as a seller by agreeing to a price and the buyer never showing up to pay and complete the transaction. I’ve had this happen on TBH and many times on CL. Agreeing to pay for something and actually PAYING for it is 2 separate things. I’ll try to work with the other party and establish some timeframe guidelines to complete the deal but at the end of the day an item is still for sale until money changes hands IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                Well...then YOU would be out in that you wouldn’t be receiving the item.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand what you’re saying. If I personally made a deal then I would darn sure honor it but I’ve also been burned as a seller by agreeing to a price and the buyer never showing up to pay and complete the transaction. I’ve had this happen on TBH and many times on CL. Agreeing to pay for something and actually PAYING for it is 2 separate things. I’ll try to work with the other party and establish some timeframe guidelines to complete the deal but at the end of the day an item is still for sale until money changes hands IMO.
                This isn't about money changing hands, or even completing the transaction. It's about honoring your word, as a seller. If you don't, I'm not dealing with you now, or most likely, ever again. That being said, even if the seller doesn't know if the buyer is gonna keep their end of the bargain or not, they are not the same thing. This is about the seller.
                Last edited by HeyMikey; 07-04-2019, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                  This isn't about money changing hands, or even completing the transaction. It's about honoring your word, as a seller. If you don't, I'm not dealing with you now, or most likely, ever again.
                  I think you misunderstood...I agree and personally honor any deal but parties on both sides of the transaction are responsible to live up to the contract. All I can say is I’ve been burned by trusting the other party. You can’t control the actions of others...just your’s.

Comment

I’d walk. And probably give him an azz chewing for wasting my time.

Comment

Its hard to believe there are so many here that admit their word means nothing. A sign of the times I guess.

Comment

The only time I might go against my word is if I’m working a trade offer and someone else offers me cash. More times than not, cash is king. But if I agree on a sell price, I will honor it regardless.

Comment

Well how about this? As a buyer, have you ever gotten to the item, only to realize that it isn't quite what you thought it was? Either you viewed it optimistically or the seller could have described it better. Either way, now you are standing there thinking 'this thing isn't worth (to me) what I agreed to pay'. Now what do you do?

I have experienced this both as a seller & buyer. As a seller, I have absolutely heard "oh, I didn't realize that" or "I didn't see that in the pictures" - which always leads to 'now I'll only give you this much for it'.

So again, an item isn't sold until I have the money - or an item isn't mine until I've handed the money over.

When I have a buyer that needs to wait days before he can come buy it, I always say, yes I'll sell it to you unless someone else gets here first. I'm not holding it for an unknown.

An unknown who may want to negotiate more when he is face to face.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                            Its hard to believe there are so many here that admit their word means nothing. A sign of the times I guess.

Who on this thread said "their word means nothing?"

My word means everything to me. If I tell you I'm gonna do something then it's gonna get done. IMO if a man's word is worthless then so is the man.

Comment

I have also had buyers show up with $200 less than an agreed upon price. Some deal.

I tell those guys to hit the road.

So much can go wrong with a sale. If all you guys, as buyers, are finding lots of sellers who stop trying to sell it based on you're word that you're buying it - good for you.

As a buyer, I think that is too much to expect -especially if that seller has sold enough stuff to have been screwed over a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
                                I have also had buyers show up with $200 less than an agreed upon price. Some deal.

I tell those guys to hit the road.

So much can go wrong with a sale. If all you guys, as buyers, are finding lots of sellers who stop trying to sell it based on you're word that you're buying it - good for you.

As a buyer, I think that is too much to expect -especially if that seller has sold enough stuff to have been screwed over a few times.

You're introducing a bunch of scenarios that have nothing to do with what the OP asked.

Comment

Working...
                                X