automatic powder throwers (reloading)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

automatic powder throwers (reloading)

Possibly looking to spend some Christmas money on an auto powder drop. I've read the reviews and they're similar in cost but do y'all have any experiences to share to help me select one?

looking at the

RCBS charge master lite
    Hornady lock n load
    Lyman gen 6

I have the regular Chargemaster, and have been really happy with it.

Comment

I've got the charge master which has been working great. I would look at the auto throw/auto trickle depending on budget.

Comment

Charge master here also. Very happy with it.

Comment

The lock and load is super slow. I feel like a measure and trickler on a scale is quicker. I bought it thinking it would be just the ticket. I should probably just go back to old way especially for volume.

Comment

I have an RCBS Chargemaster...love it for rifle rounds (too slow for pistol). Spherical powders meter best but it also meters stick and flake type powders. Easy to load to within .1 grains. If you get an overcharge, just pour the powder back in the hopper and let it go again.

Haven't used the Hornady or the Lyman so can't help there.

Comment

I've got a Hornady and have had good luck with it being consistent. As said above, it may be a little slow, but I don't get in a hurry. That's therapeutic time for me!

Comment

Originally posted by tadmaryperry View Post
                I've got a Hornady and have had good luck with it being consistent. As said above, it may be a little slow, but I don't get in a hurry. That's therapeutic time for me!
                Same here. The arthritis in my hands and wrists have robbed me of a lot of dexterity, so slow and steady have become my method of operation now.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

I have the Hornady right now and it is a little bit slower than the RCBS. I had the Charge Master before the Hornady, but the Charge Master quit on me and I found the Hornady on sale. They both do a good job.

Comment

Another vote for the charge master here. Love mine!

Comment

I use the throw short and trickle method. I don't trust electronic scales. When trickling into digital scales I find they are too slow to register, resulting in a heavier charge than I wanted.

That being said, I haven't used an auto metering scale.

Using spherical powders, I find most volume measures work well. I have experience with a couple of different Lee measures, and two Dillons on progressive loaders. Flake and stick powders, of course, meter like crap. I only use balance scales.

Comment

Yall that have a charge master is it the 2 piece full size or the lite? Theyres a big price differance there.

Comment

You guys really need to consider a top shelf measure like the Harrell's...once my load is developed I mark the click settings & never need the balance beam for that recipe again. They are that good & by far a most treasured equipment on the bench. Buy once cry once & save time over a trickler

My Bruno must be 25 years old.

Comment

With the addition of the bushing designed by a guy on TexasHuntersForum, my Chargemaster throws spot on with the powders I've used, which are R19, Titegroup, 2400, and IMR 4831. Until I added the bushing it was guilty of overcharging, but that was a quick fix. I mostly check charges for rifle with a balance beam as I don't load many for rifle, but the handgun rounds, especially practice, I just go with the Chargemaster.

Comment

Charge master here also. Loaded thousands of rounds with it over the last 10 yrs. Not sure if there is anything better for precision loads just under throw then trickle to desired weight. Still use a thrower for ball powder range fodder.

Comment

Working...
                              X